StromTrooper banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I did get grounded for two weeks after a heart attack. Bastard doctors threatened to pull my license, two weeks when I wasn't allowed to work and no bike (n)

In my case it is likely to be "When they pull the bars from my cold dead hands" if only because after something like that you do reassess your priorities and for me, if I'm inevitably going to die anyway riding isn't really that much of a risk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 69. Sold my car 3 years ago when I retired and ride year round (Except for no ice). Planning and heated gear prolongs the season for me. Nothing better than a 30F to 50F day with clear roads to ride and longer camping trips in the Spring/Summer/Fall. Last thoughts at night are the reliving of the routes I traveled that day. I look forward to riding each day and shudder at the thought of when the day comes that I can't. I know its coming, but not worried about it now. If you are thrilled/happy riding then ride - if not - then don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know what my criteria for packing it in will be. I am not there yet. several bikes back I thought "well this will be my last bike" but it ain't over yet. If your eyes don't light up a bit and you don't find a smile on your face when you fire up your ride and head out then you might try a 6 month absence from riding. when I got married I quit bikes and that didn't last 6 months before the wife said to go get a motorcycle, that I was climbing the walls. Several times my wife has encountered me on my m/c unexpectedly and didn't think it was me at first. "you look 20 years younger on a motorcycle" she says. I think "yeah 20 years or more". I know my reflexes are not what they were 50 years ago. then they could have been measured with a stop watch, now a calendar might be a more appropriate measuring device. but you deal with your limitations, if you can't then you should quit. I got a street license when I was 14, and rode off road before that. now I am 75. More than half of the people in my high school class ('62) are dead. some of them were very careful some were not.

While I am alive I want to live, and a bike does it for me. If it did not do it for me I would quit.
Goon on you enjoy the bike feel good that in itself improves your overall health, I gave up flying after a crash few years ago I'm 63 now and just got a k8 loving it, it's a new adventure head off do some fishing camp out ride home dog carrier yeah dangers on the road but it's everywhere, more danger in a city pub than out on your Bike so not worth the concern really just do your pre flight check b4 you ride tyres brakes undercarriage and head off, if its fun and you enjoy it do it.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts