StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching on the internet for prices for selling my deceased husband's 2005 Vstrom. I am hoping someone here might be able to help me with accessing an asking price. Kelley Blue Book shows one for $3700, but mine has hard case side bags and a "truck" box as I call it on the back as well. I have put a new tire on the front and it runs great. It does have about 50,000 miles which appears to be high mileage from all the adds I have seen, but my husband rode it all the time, not just on weekends. It does have a minor scratch area on the front farring (SP?) and windshield from one of the wrecks he had, but that is cosmetic and might be easily fixed or covered with a sticker should the purchaser wish to do so. I know without seeing the bike in person it might be hard but do you think you could give me an guessimate of what I could ask. I have searched the boxes and racks that have been added and those new could possibly add at least $800 but I tend to price things higher than most people when I try to resale, but I do need to get the most out of it as possible. If you could help me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I was selling it, I'd ask $4,200 and I wouldn't go under $3,500 unless I was having a really hard time unloading it. The mileage is the most difficult part though.

My condolences.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Back in May I paid $4k for an 05 with 18k miles and a lot more accessories. Selling toys in the current economic times is a bit harder.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Are there any Ringgold/Chattanooga area strommers who could help her make sure the bike is ready to sell, maybe help compose a craigslist ad, and maybe know someone who knows someone looking for a strom to ride?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Purchase price on my '07 Vstrom 650 was $3800 back this past April. It was stock other than Givi E41 hard saddlebags. Add on's for motorcycles do not add much, if any, to the price that used motorcycles sell for. Due to this, a lot of people remove the add on's and sell them separate from the motorcycle. By doing this, you can get more money from the sell of every thing.

I wish I lived closer to you so I could help. Hopefully there is a member here who lives close enough to help you with the selling of this motorcycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's about what I was thinking but did not know if that was too high. It would at least be a starting point and I can always come down if no offers. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had thought about selling the accessories separate so I might go with that idea especially if the buyer was local I would not have to worry about shipping. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anne, first, I am sorry for your loss. This makes my heart hurt.

I am in Woodstock, ga. If you get in a tight and need help, I can try to ride up your way and help if I can. Feel free to pm me, if needed.

I have 2 examples.

When I sold my 02 KLR, is was really sorted and farkled out nicely. And I had lots of parts and maintenance Items to go with it. As mentioned, times are tough and folks wont pay what ANYTHING is actually worth. I had a guy kinda low ball me, I countered with a price higher than his, but would remove all the farkles that werent inside the engine or forks, no parts, extra windshield, etc. Nothing but the bike and detailed maintenance records. He stretched and took my deal, then I sold the other stuff. For too cheap, I might add, but I wound up about $300 below my asking price for the whole she-bang. Close enough in this new economy.

Then, I shopped for a wee. I found an 05 with 25000 miles, with givi bag racks and crash bars, an aftermarket shock, and sonic springs and gold racetec emulators in the forks. He originally asked 4800. By the time I got to him, he was down to 4300 with no serious offers.. My goal was to spend NO MORE than 3500. In the end he sold me everything for 3800. I agreed to 300 more than my budget because I already had givi bags that would fit the bag racks, I wanted the crash bars, and suspension upgrades. He was very hesitant to sell at that price, but a few months of no serious offers made him aware of the suppressed market.

So, if you want to sell it, price it to sell quick, let it go and be done with it. A few hundred more dollars that you may or may not get, is not worth the stress and effort. I would price it at 3450, take 3200 and let it go.

I know you want and need more. But 3200 in hand is better than theoretical/maybe/but probably not 4000 sitting in your garage. Even 2800 in hand is better than a bike not being ridden,sitting there staring at you.

Again, pm me if needed. Good luck with everything.

Philip

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
DSCR, kindly post and with the used bike market the way it is, your pricing is probably right.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
I bought my 2007 Wee 22,000 miles, super clean, with well over $1500 in farkles for $4000. So I'd think an '05 with 50,000 miles is worth $3500 tops even with all the accessories. Sure you may get more and many are listed for higher but are they selling? Who pays over blue book?

Realistically, I'd ask $3700 and take $3200 cash. Then again my bikes always sell quick because they are clean and priced well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your suggestion. I like the idea of money in hand versus bike in garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your offer to help. I appreciate that. I actually spoke with someone today that clued my on why the high miles were such a big deal compared to a car. And my husband did drive this as his car most year round. Your response has been very helpful and prices are in line with others as well.

Anne, first, I am sorry for your loss. This makes my heart hurt.

I am in Woodstock, ga. If you get in a tight and need help, I can try to ride up your way and help if I can. Feel free to pm me, if needed.

I have 2 examples.

When I sold my 02 KLR, is was really sorted and farkled out nicely. And I had lots of parts and maintenance Items to go with it. As mentioned, times are tough and folks wont pay what ANYTHING is actually worth. I had a guy kinda low ball me, I countered with a price higher than his, but would remove all the farkles that werent inside the engine or forks, no parts, extra windshield, etc. Nothing but the bike and detailed maintenance records. He stretched and took my deal, then I sold the other stuff. For too cheap, I might add, but I wound up about $300 below my asking price for the whole she-bang. Close enough in this new economy.

Then, I shopped for a wee. I found an 05 with 25000 miles, with givi bag racks and crash bars, an aftermarket shock, and sonic springs and gold racetec emulators in the forks. He originally asked 4800. By the time I got to him, he was down to 4300 with no serious offers.. My goal was to spend NO MORE than 3500. In the end he sold me everything for 3800. I agreed to 300 more than my budget because I already had givi bags that would fit the bag racks, I wanted the crash bars, and suspension upgrades. He was very hesitant to sell at that price, but a few months of no serious offers made him aware of the suppressed market.

So, if you want to sell it, price it to sell quick, let it go and be done with it. A few hundred more dollars that you may or may not get, is not worth the stress and effort. I would price it at 3450, take 3200 and let it go.

I know you want and need more. But 3200 in hand is better than theoretical/maybe/but probably not 4000 sitting in your garage. Even 2800 in hand is better than a bike not being ridden,sitting there staring at you.

Again, pm me if needed. Good luck with everything.

Philip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts