StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

I'm posting here because I realize I have asked only about a million questions to you; I should give what I can back to the forum. I haven't gotten my website up and running yet (but I will --- I promise). In any case, I wanted to give you an opportunity to ask me questions about farkles, how the V-Strom handles a trip like this.

While Arooni is digesting all of this stuff, I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share with other forum members just what kind of tires you have mounted up on your walker. Did you decided to go with the Shinko 705s, or maybe you are dabbling a little on your "dark side", and have mounted up pair of car tires? Have you bothered to balance them? If so, did you choose to go the traditional route and use external weights, or something along the lines of Dynabeads, or Ride-on?
Ran Shinko 705's front/rear when I left San Diego. The rear lasted about 7,500 miles and I was pretty happy with it up until the end of its life when it seemed to 'wobble' a bit when finding a line. It was pretty disconcerting to have the bike leaned over and have the bike wobble.

Had them balanced before I left; but let me tell you, once you leave US; kiss balancing goodbye;; it's hard to find. They were external weights.

The rear tire I needed to replace in Guatemala. Glad I did end replacing it, but didn't get as much of a dual sport a tire I wanted. I thought I was going to get a Pirelli MT-90 Scorpion; but the ended up selling me a Pirelli Scorpion Trial which is fantastic on pavement; but wasn't as good as my Shinko 705 off road.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I would love to take a trip south of the border, but practically all of the news from Mexico and Central America is about the crime, drug cartel wars, heinous murders, etc. which makes me very hesitant to ride down there.

I know you reported about an incident in Guatemala, but otherwise how have you been received as an American traveling solo? Have you been robbed, mugged, hassled by local police, etc.?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to take a trip south of the border, but practically all of the news from Mexico and Central America is about the crime, drug cartel wars, heinous murders, etc. which makes me very hesitant to ride down there.

I know you reported about an incident in Guatemala, but otherwise how have you been received as an American traveling solo? Have you been robbed, mugged, hassled by local police, etc.?
Everyone is very happy to learn I'm American --- with perhaps 2-3 exceptions. 99% of the time people are excited to meet me.

I got shook down for $20 by a crooked Baja cop outside of San Juanico; but haven't been robbed/mugged (with the exception of a bastard who stole one of my $60 smartwool t-shirts at a hostal, and I think some pothead who took my Gerber Legend multi tool). But if you're staying at hotels; this is less likely to happen.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
David-
What are you using to stay in touch with the internet? Do you go to cybers, or do you have a portable device?
gracias,
Pako
I bought a brand new Lenovo T420 before leaving on my trip. Made sure to get a 3 year warranty... Their warranties are serviceable in other countries.

I also have an unlocked Motorola Atrix smart phone which I buy local SIM cards for; especially to text cute girls.

Life isn't all bad here...:thumbup:

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I bought a brand new Lenovo T420 before leaving on my trip. Made sure to get a 3 year warranty... Their warranties are serviceable in other countries.

I also have an unlocked Motorola Atrix smart phone which I buy local SIM cards for; especially to text cute girls.

Life isn't all bad here...:thumbup:
So.... where do they serve arooni sandwiches?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Arooni, I see that you are exercising your Eagle Scout qualifications, by helping a couple of "old ladies" across the road.

A very nice photograph of them thanking you for your efforts.

(Whatever happened to the wine, and the dinner, up on the roof, with "little miss what's her name"?)

B.L.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
The end? Thread fail, after such a strong start!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
He's still out living the dream as far as I know. Heard from him a few months ago, at that time was planning to wrap it up in the next couple or so. I've got a pile of his stuff at my place, I expect I'll hear from him again before long. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have his spot URL. As of yesterday, he was in Montes Claros, Brazil.

A few months ago he replaced his cam chains, and that seems to have given his bike a second wind.

Over time, he's logged in here and advrider less and less frequently, but I check his Facebook page occasionally, and he seems to still be having a grand time.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Last Spot check in was 3 hours ago and he was traveling north in Brazil just W. of Brasilia.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You make me sick!

Here you go riding into distant lands on 2005 DL, being kissed by beautiful women. Meanwhile, I've got a 2014 DL 650, that I almost convinced the wife to let me trade in on a new BMW 1200 Adv GS, for a trip that I hope to make one day. What happens, the wife see's your thread and says "Why can't you go on your Strom, this guy went on one"? By the way, it didn't help that she saw two ladies kissing you! I had told her there was nothing but jungles and farmers down there. Thanks for nothing, and hope your trip goes well!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here you go riding into distant lands on 2005 DL, being kissed by beautiful women. Meanwhile, I've got a 2014 DL 650, that I almost convinced the wife to let me trade in on a new BMW 1200 Adv GS, for a trip that I hope to make one day. What happens, the wife see's your thread and says "Why can't you go on your Strom, this guy went on one"? By the way, it didn't help that she saw two ladies kissing you! I had told her there was nothing but jungles and farmers down there. Thanks for nothing, and hope your trip goes well!
:green_lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts