StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys , not a whole lot of posting of this sort , so I though I would start a thread here . My thought is this . I , for instance do TONS of spur of the moment rides . Just off the cuff from an instantanious thought and or the night before ponderance of a somewhat uncharted ride .

With that in mind , I know we all tend to do that , and end up riding solo most of the time so maybe we could use a thread like this to post up a sudden thought and see who might chime in and or show up . Pretty easy stuff here .

Are you about to saddle up for a sudden thought ride ? Ktchen pass get issued without notice ? To many chores for your A.D.D. to handle and need to escape ? Family members wish you'd leave and give them a break ?

Post it here . Hec , we aren't doing much else aside from riding solo , so I thought this might get some folks to meet new riding buds .......

And on a second thought , it isn't such a bad idea for the solo rider sorts to have some form of itenerary out there in the event someone doesn't show back up home .

Be safe . PO

SEE NEXT POST

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Looks like it is gonna be another awesome day for a midday ride .

Leaving Sapphire,Nc at about 1030 hours and headed to Etowah for a Stromboli at the Fox's Den . Should be at Fox's den by 1130 hours .Then on to Dal-Kawa Cycles in Hendersonville . Hoping to be outta there by 1300 hours .

From Dal-Kawa over to scout out where Deerfield's is , and should be there in the neighborhood of about 1400 hours . If you haven't seen the post about the ADV Gathering at Deerfields you should take a look .

Check Stromin Nroman's thread out for more details on that .

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=32232

I'll be on a silver 08 D1K with unpainted alumimum panniers , dayglo yellow Olympia jacket , flat black helemt with an extremely large and very ugly rider . Come on and let's putter about . I say that because I am not a fast one .

·
Registered
114 Posts
great idea! I spend a lot of time on two wheels and company is sometimes nice.
Had I seen this in the am I could have met u at Dales for the Deerfields run. I get off work at 1:30 every day and was 10 min away from his shop. a lesson to me, check this board more often.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah , I was just sort of thinking it would be a good way to meet some spur of the moment buds and lay down a way for folks to sort og make sure everyone got in safe as well .
Wouldn't hurt to post some pics that we all might take along the way . Here is some photos I took of Deerfields . I am gonna go to the Gathering NOv. 7-9 . It is an awesome facility . Here are some photos .

Attachments

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I did one today, almost spur of the moment.

I was at my yoga class last night.

My teacher rides a brand new BMW F650GS and needed to take it to the dealer in Greenville, SC for a 9:30 AM break-in servicing and farklizations session. She was worried about the 50-mile trip because of the forcast overnight low in the upper 20's, and black ice, Hwy 276 below Cesear's Head, hypothermia, etc. Normally her husband would ride with her, but he's laid up from back surgery.

I had no big plans and had some business in Greenville that I'd been putting off, so I offered to ride with her.

Long story short, I had my meetings, called my wife, she rode down around noon (70 deg.) and we all had lunch and looked at new BMW's and I got a dozen Dunkin' Donuts.

All in all an nice start to Halloween Weekend.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sort of reminds me of the old Huckleberry Finn story where he got his pals to help paint the fence . Taking a dreaded chore and making it fun and the job gets done .
And back home safe to boot . Can't beat that man , can't beat that !

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
11/01/08

After a long look at maps and GPS this and thats , I was trying to find somewhere I haven't been to within a days ride this year , It pans out like this .

Sapphire to Hendersonville via Crab Creek Rd . Hwy 64 to Bat Cave , hwy 64/9 to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure to putter about for a while . Hwy 9 up to Black Mountain then I have no idea . Might go BRP back to 276 then home . Just gonna bump around at a pace of leasure and see the sites . I'd like to make Mt. Mitchell , but it puts me getting hometo late in the eve unless I haul butt . Not gonna do that , just ease about and look around . Prolly leave here about 0930 .

I'll be looking for a really good , yet affordable lunch spot . Any ideas ?

PO

R

·
0 Posts
Mount Mitchell State Park closed for the year. Missed it by one day.

RR

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I saw Mitchell is closed . I am kind of thinking of keeping the ride at lower elevations anyway . I been freezin my butt off out there lately . Prolly Bat Cave , Lake Lure .... ????? something like that . I'd a been po'd id I had gone all the way to Mitchell . LOL

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Yeah , I was just sort of thinking it would be a good way to meet some spur of the moment buds and lay down a way for folks to sort og make sure everyone got in safe as well .
Wouldn't hurt to post some pics that we all might take along the way . Here is some photos I took of Deerfields . I am gonna go to the Gathering NOv. 7-9 . It is an awesome facility . Here are some photos .
Mr. Sloke,

How'd you like that gravel trap at the entrance/exit?

I forgot about it on the way out and came as close to spill as I've been since my last spill.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah , it is no doubt sketchy if you aren't paying attention . But you gotta remember , I am pretty easy on the throttle and I assess every little thing to death . I suppose I am the ultimate touron sometimes . But hey , I ride allot , see allot and it sometimes surprises people at the ground I can cover in a days time at my pace

Not to say I didn't find that gravel trap to be something of concern though . LOL

PO

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
My problem was that forgot where I was and I let off the throttle.

Soon as I goosed it, we straightened out.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I might be over there if they can swap a tire off a rim for me today. I was going to take it to 3-D Kustom Cycles right here in Greater Etowahpolis, but they haven't been around.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ws at Dal-Kawa yesterday , They are suffering from lack of work just like the orther shops are . I bet they can take care of you quick . But they won;t mount a tire you didnt buy there .

i am outta here

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Actually, I did buy it there and had it mounted.

Then I bent the rim.

I bough a new rim and tire from them.

Now, I want to move the older tire from the bent rim to the straight rim.

R

·
0 Posts
They will mount it it will just break U down. Grand total of about $140 to mount it.

RR

·
Registered
114 Posts
big loops

nice ride today with Po-Sloke. 4 hours well used. flat rock - tuxedo - old,old US25 thru watershed - bbq at green river - down past old hydro plant - howard gap road to lynn - back 176 to saluda. Big circles.
we had twisties, backroads, a bit of packed dirt and gravel, lots of nice scenery, and one water crossing. Ever seen a good sized fellow swim a 1K across a rageing torrent of river? ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sankesan ,

Man , I have been to busy to take the time and say it was a good ride Saturday . Nice area and good Q for sure . I ended up riding again sunday with the lady friend . When I got home Saturday , I jumped in the shower and took off for Asheville only to have car trouble . Dang cages !!!!!

My riding ops for this year are about to come to a minimum . I start my winter gig next Monday and it is a pretty set shcedule . YUCK . Oh well , I have worn out several tires this year so I really have no complaints .

Again , fun ride . We should do it again . You should two up the GF and my lady freind will ride hers . She would like that pace and is a decent little rider to be so new at it . She can ride your butt off . She gets nearly 75 mpg on that steed of hers so she never wants to stop and take a break .

PO

·
Registered
114 Posts
not so sure about the two up on this end, the first and last ride for her was to say the least an interesting study in balance and counter balance. neither party is overly interested in trying it again very soon. I have another loop down thru green river cove to lake Adger and then across rural SC to highway 11 and back up the hill on new 25 for me and there is a road that hits 11 from toxaway area for you to get home on. includes lakes jocasse and keowee as poi's
really enjoyed just putting around sat and look forward to the next ride to the south. got to love that extra 15 deg of warm in the winter.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts