StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Strom trooper Graywolf (or the other spelling i can never remember which) Eli has thrown a chain on I64 at mile marker 86.8 in the west bound lane.

Is there anyone in the area who can reach out and help him... He has little web access thru his phone so I can help coordinate from here. He is about 4 hrs out from me or I would go get him. He is ultimately working his way back to Indy.

His bike thru its chain but he is ok. Not sure if the rest of the bike is rideable. I will gather more info as I have it.

His cell number is 317-698-1193

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Situation Update

Ok, Eli is safe and is trying to arrange for his wife to come pick him up. What he is looking for now is some possible short term storage for his bike. Is there a trailer and storage option that someone can provide ?

Coop

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Fellow Strom trooper Graywolf (or the other spelling i can never remember which) Eli has thrown a chain on I64 at mile marker 86.8 in the west bound lane.
The Graywolf spelling is correct. He may have to take back that recommendation about only changing sprockets every other chain. Regardless, I hope he an his bike are unharmed and as little inconvenience as possible is involved.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah, he might re-think that in the future... Right now lets get him home safe so we can tease him unmercifully...

Coop

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

Looks like a member on the ADV forum is responding with trailer to get him off the side of the road.

I will update further when the info comes in.

Coop

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Let me know if you need any help. I'm in the area and have a trailer and a place for storage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted on ADV... Eli has new chain installed and is underway to INDY...

Nothing like having having the ADV Emergency response network a short web post away.

When he gets home, ask him if that is the same chain he rode to Alaska with back in 2008. I am sure I will here him yelling from here.

Coop

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm home, I'm in far too much pain do to anything. I'll post more later. Long story short nothing wrong with chain or sprockets. Just bad master link. I'm going back to my old way of doing it instead of using those crappy rivet tools. I've got a new chain on it now but the old chain is in perfect shape, was less then a mm longer then the new one, and has no kinked links. It failed at the riveted master link and just shot off the sprockets onto the side of the road. I'll post a pic when I can move.

-GW

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Graywolf spelling is correct. He may have to take back that recommendation about only changing sprockets every other chain. Regardless, I hope he an his bike are unharmed and as little inconvenience as possible is involved.
What is the recommended practice for changing a chain and sprockets? After how many miles? This is only the second bike I've owned and the last I only put on 3k miles so I didn't do either of these. I imagine I'll be putting a lot more miles on this one :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts