StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduling out my vacation/ride time for next spring and was planning on a lake ride leaving from the Chicago area.

I originally was planning to simply ride around Lake Michigan but after reading a lot on this forum, it seems that the Wisconsin side/back down through Illinois is not really worth the time when compared to other options. Having lived in Illinois all my life, I tend to agree.

So, I had settled on heading up the Michigan side of Lake Michigan and then around Lake Superior. Then Back home down the Michigan side of Lake Michigan again.

I no longer had settled on that when I began to look at Lake Huron and thought that I could ride east through Michigan and then around Lake Huron and then down south on the East side of Lake Michigan. This would avoid covering the same ground ..

In the end, I figure that Ill enjoy either trip although I have never been in either of those areas.

I am curious if anyone has done these lake loops and has any recommendations about which Lake loop would be more preferred and why ...

Superior or Huron ??

What say you ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
So, I had settled on heading up the Michigan side of Lake Michigan and then around Lake Superior. Then Back home down the Michigan side of Lake Michigan again.

What say you ?
Trees on the right, water on the left.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its settled then ... Thanks for the in depth analysis. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Trees on the right, water on the left.

I was wondering abut the same route; but now I know. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well its settled then ... Thanks for the in depth analysis. :biggrinjester:
You're welcome.

Actually the north shore of Superior is very nice, from Duluth to Thunder Bay and beyond. The south shore along Wisconsin is so-so and I don't have personal knowledge of the UP portion.

If you go in the spring expect ice and cold.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i did lake Huron a few years ago (along with Ontario and Erie)

From Toronto I went west up the Mich. peninsula, stopped in the Soo, then back down. 2 days total. was very nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My vote is the Lake Superior route... awesome riding! Plan to side trip up into the Keewenaw to Copper Harbor also.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I would have to say, Lake Superior.

One of my all time favorite movies was filmed there: Waterwalker by Bill Mason - NFB

Even though this is a "canoeing" film, it is well worth watching. Heck, everyone should watch it!

B.L.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Even though this is a "canoeing" film, it is well worth watching. Heck, everyone should watch it!
Gonna have to watch it again. Didn't notice the "high quality" button until it was almost over...

I wonder what kind of cell service he had out there. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done both loops and while I enjoyed both rides a lot I have to agree with Black Lab. Lake Superior is the nicer loop. More hills and more views of the lake.On the south side I think Bayfield, Munising and Copper Harbor are well worth the effort to see. The ride between Duluth and Terrace Bay is great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts