StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm sitting here surrounded by a ton of stuff i have to fit on the bike!

I leave on my "Lap of Aus" trip tomorrow (if everything goes to plan)

I have set up a blog that i'll update when i can. Lap of Aus 2011

If any of you see a weird looking bike riden by a lost rider, say hello.

I will be following the coast, hoping to get a couple of hundred k's south of Sydney Tomorrow. Sunday night i'm staying with a mate in North Avoca, then it will be off to Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast to finish a few work commitments, then hopefully Friday my Holiday officially starts.

Wish me luck :fineprint:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Good luck Steve,

I'm jealous.:yesnod:

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Kia pai te haere

If you get stranded anywhere near Ferny Creek there's a bed here for you. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bon voyage

Have a great run and time Steve :hurray:

As above, am envious! :biggrinjester:

Will make sure to check your blog for updates and progress.

Stay safe and keep the shiny side up! :thumbup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Are you staying in contact on the forum?

If you need a place to stay on the Goldy on your way through, let me know.

Pete.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the well wishes.

I will keep this thread updated as i travel.

I will write a proper ride report when i return.

See you on the road :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
4,606 Posts
Have a great trip, Steve. It's something to which many of us aspire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am so extremely envious that I've taken an immediate disliking to your cause :) No seriously, enjoy yourself and safe travelling. How long have you set aside Steve? Are u doing it totally solo??

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lucky bugger! Good luck and have fun!

PS: I gotta come across the ditch one day...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Enjoy your trip and travel safe.

Don't forget to stop, look around, and take lots of photo's.

Fa Wombat said to me, if you see something you want to take a pic of, then stop and do it because you won't get a second chance.

I wish I had taken a few more pics.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Go well, go far.
Second the photos....opportunities like that are rare.
See ya when you get back.
May your wheels run straight and true.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

I have just settled into my room in Bega, today has been about covering k's as i can see Vic any weekend.

I pushed a little further into the night than i wanted, at least i will be able to stop and smell the roses tomorrow and take some pics.

Thanks for the well and not so well wishes :biggrinjester: I am travelling solo and have up to 2 months for the trip. I have added a few days to the Atherton Tablelands into my plan, then up to the Bloomfield :thumb up:

Into Sydney tomorrow, i want to find that road that juts out over the cliff, i believe it is north of the Gong, i then have to figure a way through Sydney, i'll probably just jump on the toll roads then pay online.

I have been trying to find info about Thunderbolt Way (Do i have the name correct??) Where does it start and finish, i assume it would be a great road on the way up to Brisbane?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Unfortunately Im not back in Australia till Nov,,,, a trip like yours sounds good for long service leave next year,,,,, hope this info helps.....

Keep going north through Wolongong the bridge is only 2 turns that you ride through without even knowing then you stop at the lookout to see where youve been, but continue north through the national park is a good ride.

If your going strait through Sydney you are missing out on the Putty road from Windsor to Singleton.... from Singleton you will have excellent back roads to Dungog then Gloucester

Thunderbolts way starts at Gloucester and finishes at Walcha then the oxley hwy goes down the mountain to Wauchope...even better !!

If you go strait through sydney you will be going up the boring pacific hiway to Newcastle then Raymond terrace about 20 min after Raymo turn left at Buckkets way to Gloucester then Thunderbolts, Walcha

Thunderbolts has suffered a lot of storm damage lately but most of it is excellent riding.

Hope you discover the other twisty ways of NSW.... I suggest the inland highwayto Glen Innes then the back way into Brisbane from Ipswitch.... much better for bikes than the pacific hwy.

Enjoy the trip

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Into Sydney tomorrow, i want to find that road that juts out over the cliff, i believe it is north of the Gong, i then have to figure a way through Sydney, i'll probably just jump on the toll roads then pay online.

I have been trying to find info about Thunderbolt Way (Do i have the name correct??) Where does it start and finish, i assume it would be a great road on the way up to Brisbane?? :mrgreen:

Hi Steve

"The road that juts out over the cliff" is just south of Sydney.. at the southern end of the Royal National Park.

Thunderbolts is from Gloucester (just north of the "entrance" of the Hunter Valley)... and runs north from there to Walcha on the New England Hwy....the "COLD" zone!!
Try to find Windsor (one of the northern subs of Syd), north of there is Wisemans Ferry, a free ferry across the Hawkesbury. Turn left off the ferry and go north through St. Albans on the Wollombi Rd to Bucketty (partially dirt), then north from there through Wollombi into Broke + Singleton.

It's more interesting and varied (but a little slower) than the Putty Rd., which really is quite a bore for its southern 85%, things only getting perky through the Gorge up north.

Cross the main east-west route in Singleton (which is a total dump) and head north-east for Dungog and Stroud....just north from there is Gloucester, start of the Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolt's fairly chopped up at the moment (but always good to ride).
Since you're time-limited (re: Brisbane on Mon) it's useless to suggest all sorts of other things and routes.

Don't stay on the New England, you'll freeze yer nutz off!!

Point north to Uralla and Armidale / Glen Innes (to make same quick tracks!) then head east down the Gwydir Hwy to Jackadgery (Mann River Roadhouse/ Caravan Park, they also have a few cabins and hot food to 6.30pm ++ fuel!).

Cross the Mann River bridge and turn left, foillow signs to Lilydale.
Turn L at the T-junction (~15k's) and follow the road through the causeway of the Clarence River....L again at the T-junction, signed to Tabulam).

A ripper tar/ dirt mix along the Clarence river!!
~25k's past Baryulgil, turn left onto Top Plains Rd. , for a brilliant, little singlelaner meandering through the countryside, all sealed.

Hitting the Bruxner Hwy, you can either shoot straight north on the Paddy's Flat Rd. (all dirt and slow due to multiple drops and climbs into steepish gullys, but a ripper), or head east to Tabulam for the tack north through Bonalbo to Woodenbong... it's a kidney-crusher, supposedly tar around the potholes:mrgreen:.... but quick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info ML and Glitch,

it has been a big day :fineprint:

I will update my blog later, but tonight i am in North Avoca. I have followed the coast most of the way from Bega. I started out this morning on the road at 6:30am, i don't know if that classifies as a holiday :confused:

Constant rain woke me at 5:30, so i thought i had better hit the road early, i took most of the tourist drives and found some great roads.

I have entered Thunderbolts into the Zumo, but i don't know if i'll make Mann River, i'll give it a good go though. I had 1 or 5 too many drinks at the Surf Club, so we will see how tomorrow ends up :thumbup:

Thanks once again for the info...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Mate, you've got two months.... slow down.
I agree. :fineprint:

Bloody hell, you've blown through the Sydney area- missed all the good roads to ride- and passed a heap of us Stromtroopers by [that means we will have to do a ride to Vic. sometime to catch up with you :yesnod: :green_lol: :thumbup: ].

Enjoy the trip Steve, only do the pace you are comfortable with.
Ride safe.

Pics when you get time please. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts