StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... my broken right elbow is healing. The ruptured triceps tendon is reattached and the surgeon says, "Do with it what it will do." Function is returning. Fine motor control is improving. I still can't do push-ups but soon I will be able to get back on my Vee and feel like I can control it safely.

The problem is that I don't have complete extension or flexion at the elbow, and it's not certain that I ever will have. Therefore my two arms won't be the same length. I may need a handlebar adaptation or something.

Does anyone have this problem? What is the handlebar solution?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
So... my broken right elbow is healing. The ruptured triceps tendon is reattached and the surgeon says, "Do with it what it will do." Function is returning. Fine motor control is improving. I still can't do push-ups but soon I will be able to get back on my Vee and feel like I can control it safely.

The problem is that I don't have complete extension or flexion at the elbow, and it's not certain that I ever will have. Therefore my two arms won't be the same length. I may need a handlebar adaptation or something.

My friend, I also had a ruptured bicep tendon that was surgically reattached. Twice:thumbdown: (I hurt it in a weird accident while still in the soft cast and had to have it redone.)

It took a while, but I'm 100% and suffer NO loss of strength or flexibility. None. But have a cool scar...;)

My suggestion: get as much physical therapy as you can, even if you have to pay for it yourself. This was the KEY to my total rehab.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not sure if this is possible on the Vee, but clips ons with risers would allow each side to be adjusted independently. (Heli Bars).

·
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend, I also had a ruptured bicep tendon that was surgically reattached. Twice:thumbdown: (I hurt it in a weird accident while still in the soft cast and had to have it redone.)

It took a while, but I'm 100% and suffer NO loss of strength or flexibility. None. But have a cool scar...;)

My suggestion: get as much physical therapy as you can, even if you have to pay for it yourself. This was the KEY to my total rehab.
That exactly echoes my experience on my other arm seven years ago. Just like you, the biceps tendon was reattached and before too long I never even thought about it any more -- except for the "cool" scar.

In this case, I expect the tendon part of the repair will be OK as well, but the bone in the joint was also broken/split/chipped, and that seems to be where the problem is. I certainly plan to do the PT though, and try to get it all back.

·
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if this is possible on the Vee, but clips ons with risers would allow each side to be adjusted independently. (Heli Bars).
I was thinking about that. What I'd like to do is find a shop with a good inventory of "pieces" to try to fit together.

·
Registered
598 Posts
ruptured tendons

Good luck with your recovery. You can count me in both those clubs, for a ruptured biceps tendon and a detached / reattached triceps tendon, in the same arm. The recovery from the biceps reattachment was by far more painful. That was years ago, and I am only now curling like I should, but I am still afraid to do a pull-up. I don't ever want that to happen again.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Mr Dancer,

Maybe it's time for one of these.....

On a serious note. I am a PT and speaking for the profession, we appreciate your business.

·
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Dancer,

Maybe it's time for one of these.....

On a serious note. I am a PT and speaking for the profession, we appreciate your business.
Bunch of sadists, if you ask me! You guys like to hurt people! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You can move the bars sideways a little.

Not too much, cables won't reach and it gets a bit funky, but it's cheap & easy.

I've also torn a bicep - hurt like hell for about a year - usually when I forgot it ;) , full strength took about 2 - but it is back to full strength.

Pete

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

Am I missing something here if I suggest you just fit a set of "barback" risers similar to those in the link I've added further down the page?
That way you can set the bar position closer to suit your injured arm, your good arm will bend to the new bar position automatically.

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, I just think it would feel odd riding a bike with your arm positions offset [I did it for a few weeks when I was young after bending a set of bars on a bike during a prang, I couldn't bend them back and couldn't afford a new set straight away].

TwistedThrottle.com : Handlebar riser barbacks & top clamps (BMW, Ducati, Gas-Gas, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM LC4, MZ, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha) - pair, 1" rise & 1" pullback - LEH.00.039.152

I believe you can get some that keep the bars at the same height but move them further back.

I'm going to look for a set to go on the KLR650 I just bought because the bars are too close to me for my riding comfort, my Wee on the other hand is ideal in bar position.
The idea for me is to fit them on "backwards" so the bars move forward and up a little from the stock position.

Good to hear you will be back on the bike soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Arm length doesn't matter, not supposed to straight arm the bars anyway. The arms should be bent regardless.
Exactly. Your "good" arm can do the adjusting.

Your main problem may be a field sobriety test if you ever get stopped by a cop. Holding your arms straight out and touching your fingertips together sounds like a challenge.:green_lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts