StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to ride the first three sections of the AZBDR sometime between Dec 11-21. My dates are flexible. Planning for a four day trip out of Tucson and camping around Sonoita, Cherry Creek, and Payson. I'm on a DL650 so I'll avoid the deep sand and expert only areas. Anyone out there interested in joining me? You will need to get the Arizona State Trust land use permit for $15 or take your chances with the rangers.

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
Do they really charge for use of public lands? How rude. I thought the Federal Courts decided the extra fees were unconstitutional?
Sounds like a fun trek, good to have extra bodies along to help in the event of a fall down.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
for vehicles that are already licensed by the state that does seem strange, and how would a tourist be aware of these 'extra' charges? I'm sure I've ridden on public lands in AZ and not known this.

edit: okay I see there is a difference btw these lands and public lands.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Per their website:
"The Arizona State Land Department manages approximately 9.2 million acres of State Trust lands within Arizona. These lands were granted to the State under the provisions of the federal Enabling Act that provided for Arizona’s statehood in 1912. These lands are held in trust and managed for the sole purpose of generating revenues for the 13 State Trust land beneficiaries, the largest of which is Arizona’s K-12 education. In FY 2013 Trust land revenues exceeded $318,000,000."

Looks like the money may actually go to a good cause as long as it doesn't end up in a general fund

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The permit is only for use of State Trust land which by definition is land privately held by the State and not public land. It's a minimal cost ($15 for an individual or $20 for a family annually) to avoid potential hassles when out and about. A given ride or hike here might cross private land, federal and state public land, State Trust land, and BLM land without any signs or indication of the change. The few times I've been approached by law enforcement or rangers they have all been very reasonable and more interested in educating rather than fining. Even here in Arizona the difference between State Trust and public land is poorly understood.

So, anyway, who's riding the AZBDR with me?:smile2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. Looks like I will be heading out on 18 Dec and returning to Tucson on 21 Dec. If the weather cooperates I'll ride the route up to the Payson area. Planning to camp out on this trip. If anyone else is interested in riding all or part of the route with me then post or PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts