StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Wee with ABS and Suzuki bags (top and side). 15k miles. As nice a condition I've ever seen a bike. $3500

2013 Wee (so second gen). No bags. 1500 miles (yep, possible garage queen here). $5k

I really like the bags, and the 2011 rode nicely.
The 2013 is second generation, and nearly new in terms of miles.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
2011 Wee with ABS and Suzuki bags (top and side). 15k miles. As nice a condition I've ever seen a bike. $3500

2013 Wee (so second gen). No bags. 1500 miles (yep, possible garage queen here). $5k

I really like the bags, and the 2011 rode nicely.
The 2013 is second generation, and nearly new in terms of miles.

Thoughts?
2012 will likely retain some resale value longer than the '11, but will cost 1500 more to get into it, and then another $500 to get bags. (could spend another 1k on bags) I would say depending on what your needs are, go with the cheaper one with bags. At 3500 invested, with only 15k you have an inexpensive ride for another 80k miles or so. Also, at $3500, most of the depreciation has occurred. it will likely be worth about that no matter how many miles you put on it in the next couple of years. Ride it for free in other words.
ABS on the '11 is great, major difference in the two gen's. Instrument cluster changes, along with some different motor bits, but I don't think 5 extra HP makes a big difference. It is a 650, so it won't pull your arms out in any case.

Both will serve you well, for not much money. Don't overthink it, just get one and ride it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know this is a minority opinion, but I really like the looks of the Gen1 better. Also, I like the factory luggage on my 2012 V Adventure and suppose the 650 is similar.

Get the 2011.

KKORO

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... At 3500 invested, with only 15k you have an inexpensive ride for another 80k miles or so. Also, at $3500, most of the depreciation has occurred. it will likely be worth about that no matter how many miles you put on it in the next couple of years. Ride it for free in other words.
ABS on the '11 is great, major difference in the two gen's. Instrument cluster changes, along with some different motor bits, but I don't think 5 extra HP makes a big difference. It is a 650, so it won't pull your arms out in any case.

Both will serve you well, for not much money. Don't overthink it, just get one and ride it!

The lower cost of entry and reduced depreciation are what have me leaning toward the 2011. The bags are just nice, inasmuch as I commute to work. It's nice to toss stuff in a box rather than lashing it all down with rok-straps or cargo nets (or fussing with buckles on soft bags). The Suzuki boxes are nice.

I've been really thrashing on whether the 650 is "enough", but I think it's about spot-on. Notably better delivered power than my current '94 Virago 750, with a sixth gear to help at highway speeds. Yet, not so much power as to make my life insurance policy relevant. Compared to the Versys and one other, I found the Wee's power delivery predictable and smooth, and likewise the brakes.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The lower cost of entry and reduced depreciation are what have me leaning toward the 2011. The bags are just nice, inasmuch as I commute to work. It's nice to toss stuff in a box rather than lashing it all down with rok-straps or cargo nets (or fussing with buckles on soft bags). The Suzuki boxes are nice.

I've been really thrashing on whether the 650 is "enough", but I think it's about spot-on. Notably better delivered power than my current '94 Virago 750, with a sixth gear to help at highway speeds. Yet, not so much power as to make my life insurance policy relevant. Compared to the Versys and one other, I found the Wee's power delivery predictable and smooth, and likewise the brakes.
There is a guy that has some of the Suzuki/Motech adventure panniers (2012-2016) with all mounting hardware in the for sale section for $500.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go with the 2011. Mine didn't truly break in until about 18K. Great bike for a KLR price. More used accessories floating around the the first gen also.

The only time I bought a super low mile bike it was a pain in the butt. Needed a new tank and carb from sitting. My great buy turned into a PITA!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Pics did not show for me. This is my 011 with factory plastic bags. Only trouble I had if you try to stuff too much in them would pop open on bad gravel/dirt roads. I like my friend made boxes lots better.Mine has 58,500 now with stater replaced at around 40,000. Still same battery.Been on way too many bad roads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics did not show for me. This is my 011 with factory plastic bags. Only trouble I had if you try to stuff too much in them would pop open on bad gravel/dirt roads. I like my friend made boxes lots better.Mine has 58,500 now with stater replaced at around 40,000. Still same battery.Been on way too many bad roads.
The ones on the 2011 I'm considering are the same as yours.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thumbs loaded after I posted?See they are the same.Fine if not in lots of rough stuff.The thin rubber seal seemed to become tangled and cause a not real good close so may be glue all around and put back on may cure it? This is my friends 011 in front of mine on the Alaska trip.It has the same kind of boxes my friend made for me. I love them and hold so much.He has made a bunch of them in the last seven years for friends.

·
Administrator
16,593 Posts
The second and 3rd gen ride, perform and handle marginally better than the first gen, they also look much better IMHO. ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I I were a judge they may get miss congeniality but none of them 1th,runner up,or even third!>:) If you want to be happy the rest of your life......Now to me the old ones look better.I am so old school two round gauges look right and that big ass beak looks like it should be eating road kill!>:)
Like the old mama jokes...Your bike is so dam ugly it even makes you look better :grin2:.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 2011 has this style of bags. Any downside?
I didn't think I was going to like them. I always had soft luggage. I imagined everything falling out of them when I opened them. However, the retaining straps work well. The best thing is, because of their different shape, they're the first luggage that I can put my tent poles in without issue.

I figured I would end up selling them and getting some updated soft luggage. Now that I've used them, I think I'll sell my Wolfman soft saddlebags.

KKORO

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am so old school two round gauges look right .
I like the old round gauges also. I've heard it said they look like Batman. I don't see how anyone can look at them and not see "OWL."

KKORO

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Personally, I like the almost new with 1,500 miles, if you can afford to add accessories (center stand ,new seat, windshield, etc.) Also, in addition to being newer, it is also the latest model and should hold its value for quite some time. I also think that the newer model is better looking.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
That seems a very good price for the 2011 ...my 2010 has 130,000 km on it with only a stator needing replacing.

If you were doing heavier touring then topload boxes like the Jesse's are much superior and the "garage queen" would let you choose.

I generally run just the top box for daily rides....the bike is far more nimble and better gas mileage sans side cases. The factory cases are easy on - easy off....and I like the colour match.....breaks up the "utility look" of the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts