StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or has anyone else wondered why the luggage has locks when the racks can be taken off the bike with a simple quarter turn of a screwdriver at the connect points? :confused:

I guess, the locks prevent the casual thief, but in 10-15 seconds both racks can be removed luggage and all. Is there a way to secure at least one of the rack attachment points?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks Redleg! :thumbup:

I figured there had to be a solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When taking trips to questionable places, I replace the quarter turn fasteners with allen bolts and hex nuts with large washers that will clear the raised areas on the brackets. A thief could still steal the racks and boxes but it will take them a lot longer to get them off and they will have to have the right allen wrench. I went this route because I couldn't stomach the cost of the locks (cost vs what you get seems disproportionate).

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I got the SW Motech racks that have the same issue, and bought the locks for them. Have never used the locks, I really think the odds of someone:

a) wanting to steal the bags

and

b) figuring out that it's so simple

are pretty remote. Been all over the country, never an issue.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I got the SW Motech racks that have the same issue, and bought the locks for them. Have never used the locks, I really think the odds of someone:

and

Well that's good to know... :green_lol: And even better, I see you're also in OK, and I'm still trying to decide on racks/panniers.

·
Registered
253 Posts

and

To add to Rich's testimonial - We've been the North American distributor of SW-MOTECH/Bags-Connection gear for over ten years. No one has ever called us up and asked us for new racks because theirs was stolen.

Kev

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think a thief would have to know what they are and how to release them...another rider. That said, I have Pelican cases on mine. I ran a straight security cable under the seat grab handles and put the loop of each end into a padlock on each side. Very slight hassle and maintains the quick-release functionality.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Well that's good to know... :green_lol: And even better, I see you're also in OK, and I'm still trying to decide on racks/panniers.
You're welcome to come take a look at what I have. :)

Probably won't help too much though, the racks are the standard SW Motech ones (bought from Twisted Throttle :thumbup:) but the bags are from an older Triumph Tiger that a friend gave me after the bike blew up. They were made by Hepco-Baker so I got the standard H-B mounting kit when I bought the racks and mounted them up. I've been very happy with the setup, but it's not something you can buy for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To add to Rich's testimonial - We've been the North American distributor of SW-MOTECH/Bags-Connection gear for over ten years. No one has ever called us up and asked us for new racks because theirs was stolen.

Kev
Hi Kev,

Interesting statement, especially the ten year part. How long have the racks been using the quarter turn screws?

And yet TT sells locks -- so the obvious question is, how many locks does TT sell in a year compared with how many racks? :yesnod:

Does TT not hear because people buy locks, or like Rich says the chances are slim? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Kev,

Interesting statement, especially the ten year part. How long have the racks been using the quarter turn screws?

And yet TT sells locks -- so the obvious question is, how many locks does TT sell in a year compared with how many racks? :yesnod:

Does TT not hear because people buy locks, or like Rich says the chances are slim? :biggrinjester:
The quick-lock feature has been sold by us from the start. The actual number is a little more than 11 years. In the past 365 days we have sold 6 locks. I don't have any accurate way of estimating the exact number of side carriers we have sold. I am sure you can estimate the number six as insubstantial compared to the number of carriers we offer. Even if we sold one set of carriers of each model we sell that would be less than 1%.

Kev

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The quick-lock feature has been sold by us from the start. The actual number is a little more than 11 years. In the past 365 days we have sold 6 locks. I don't have any accurate way of estimating the exact number of side carriers we have sold. I am sure you can estimate the number six as insubstantial compared to the number of carriers we offer. Even if we sold one set of carriers of each model we sell that would be less than 1%.

Kev
Thanks for the info Kev. Like Fragile, I think the $50 is worth the peace of mind.

How long have the racks for the V-Stroms had the quarter turn fasteners?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts