StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sounds kind of crazy, but I guess if you are worried about getting blended ethanol, you can always squirt the first half litre onto the ground?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The warning on the pump is supposed to make motorcyclists avoid E15. There's got to be a better way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Always ethanol-free for me on all bikes. That's my solution. Locally anyhow.

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Moot point...there isn't a single station in my area i've found that doesn't have a "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker. :(

·
38,103 Posts
The fear with a blender pump is fuel remaining in the hose can have a high ethanol content from a previous fill up. Dispensing a small amount of E10 in the next vehicle can result in something significantly higher than E10.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Moot point...there isn't a single station in my area i've found that doesn't have a "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker. :(
If it is worth the effort to you, find a "marine service station" -- one associated with water sports (this may include boat dealers). Their fuel is pricey but I believe they will always have a source of ethanol-free gasoline.

Also, in my area at least, CITGO stations are dispensing ethanol-free, along with the other blends.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
The fear with a blender pump is fuel remaining in the hose can have a high ethanol content from a previous fill up. Dispensing a small amount of E10 in the next vehicle can result in something significantly higher than E10.

At most, the hose will contain about 1/3 of a gallon but I believe most is siphoned back

if you add 1/3 gallon of E15 to 2.7 gallons of E10 (3 gallon tank) you will raise the E rating to E10.5 in the V-strom 5.8 gallon tank, you will raise the E rating to E10.25

will it make a difference being slightly over 10? doubtful

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly. I'm always amazed at how a fairly simple post gets interpreted in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Studies have proven that ethanol does not work. It is subsidised and shoved into our tanks. It has no positive benefits on anything except the investors pockets. Hell, I think I saw a midwest farmer driving a lambergini the other day. LOL!

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Exactly. I'm always amazed at how a fairly simple post gets interpreted in so many ways.
the fear is unfounded

gas does not stay in the hoses, most gets siphoned back, that's why there is a lag from when you click the pump to when fuel actually begins to come out of the nozzle

IF something were to go wrong and the fuel didn't siphon back, the most you would get would be about 1/3 of a gallon even then, in a V-strom the most it can raise the ethanol blend is ¼ of a point

its been a long time since you could go to a closed gas station and drain 1/3 gallon from each hose

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
38,103 Posts
At most, the hose will contain about 1/3 of a gallon but I believe most is siphoned back

if you add 1/3 gallon of E15 to 2.7 gallons of E10 (3 gallon tank) you will raise the E rating to E10.5 in the V-strom 5.8 gallon tank, you will raise the E rating to E10.25

will it make a difference being slightly over 10? doubtful
The 4 gallon rule is because of that. The idea is for enough new fuel to make the point moot. Blender pumps aren't necessarily limited to E15. The previous user could have gone with E40 and and a rider with a peanut tank could have added 1.5 gallons. Nothing about the rule will prevent such an occurrence if the rider doesn't read and understand the sign. He'll just have to pay for 4 gallons as I see it. I can't imagine the pump will force 4 gallons into a 2 gallon tank.

If that .33 gallon of E40 gets mixed with 1.17 gallons of E10 to get the 1.5 gallons added to the .5 gallons of E10 already in the tank, that's a little over 17% and can be significant.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I saw my first E15 pump at a Shell station in Charlestown, MA a couple of weeks ago. The pump was plastered with warnings about not using it in vehicles unless they were designed for E15. It was not a blender pump.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I can't say what I think, I'd get kicked off this fourm............:furious: Government !!

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
The 4 gallon rule is because of that. The idea is for enough new fuel to make the point moot. Blender pumps aren't necessarily limited to E15. The previous user could have gone with E40 and and a rider with a peanut tank could have added 1.5 gallons. Nothing about the rule will prevent such an occurrence if the rider doesn't read and understand the sign. He'll just have to pay for 4 gallons as I see it. I can't imagine the pump will force 4 gallons into a 2 gallon tank.

If that .33 gallon of E40 gets mixed with 1.17 gallons of E10 to get the 1.5 gallons added to the .5 gallons of E10 already in the tank, that's a little over 17% and can be significant.
stupid is stupid, I've seen riders pull up to a diesel pump and fill up as well

I have not seen any real evidence of any proposed "4 gallon" rule, just one magazine article that was distorting the facts

·
38,103 Posts
stupid is stupid, I've seen riders pull up to a diesel pump and fill up as well

I have not seen any real evidence of any proposed "4 gallon" rule, just one magazine article that was distorting the facts
Yeah! Just pay attention folks. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Gov: Let's take food, convert it into alcohol, and add it to fuel!!

John Q: It will increase the cost of the fuel, get worse mpg, and cause premature failure of everything it's poured into. It will put pressure on the price of food and divert more taxpayer dollars to agri subsidies. It's a bad idea. Aren't there already tons of regulations about producing alcohol?

Gov: Ok, so we'll phase it in slowly, only 10 -15%. A very SMALL amount of poison won't kill you.

John Q: ... but it's not good for you, either. This will be bad for my motorcycle engines. I don't want ANY alcohol.

Gov: Ok, so get the less alcohol kind, then. We're saving the planet!! ...or dependency... or.... something.

John Q: ... but if the guy before me gets the stupid gas, I'll get some. And how are you saving the planet by using oil to produce corn to displace gas with worse mpg? Aren't you worried food prices will go up? Have you done any math on this?

Gov: Ok, so buy a lot of it - that way you get less poison PER GALLON. Yeah, get like, 2.. no, wait - FOUR gallons and put it in your motorcycle's tank. ...math: what, now?

John Q: Your parents were first cousins, weren't they?

Gov: We have freedom of speech - I fully support your right to express your opinion. Uh... hey, look over there!! Gays are getting married!...Abortion!... Healthcare! Housing prices!! Look at all the things we need to make better!!!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Government: Stay home or ride the coal powered public transportation

Note: Honda generator engineers have found up tp 20% ethanol in "defective" Honda generators using E10

1 - 20 of 39 Posts