Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SUzuki....

Listen up....

Why not save a few bucks when making the crankcase castings and leave the sight glass out...and put in a real dipstick. Cars have em, other bikes have em, why not the wee and vee? The cap is already in the right place. If I thought a Honda dipstick would read right I'd go get one....whatya say?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I kinda like the sight window - fast and easy. I check it just about every fill up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 fan of the sight glass. Quick glance, and off you go.

Dipsticks are hot, and often dirty due to seepage around the 0-ring seal, and that increases the likelyhood of sand and garbage dropping into the hole when checking.

Besides, on all my old dipstick bikes, including old Honda CB's, CL's and even up on the neck on the XR / XL's, the dipstick usually gets stuck in there, and you have to get a tool out to help break it loose.

What's the up-side, other than a slight savings in manufacturing cost (which probably would not be passed on to us anyway)?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Got a dip stick on my Reflex.
HATE it, wish there was a sight glass.
I check my oil level every day/ride on my KDX & DL that have the sight glass.

Cant say I check the reflex often enough as it was too low the last time.
Allways have to clean the sand off from around it before checking.

Nope I'll pay for a sight glass.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
+ whatever the number is on the sight glass.
Much, much better arrangement that a stupid dipstick that requires you to unscrew something, have a rag handy to wipe before you re dip to check and refit then clean the oil drip off your trousers and wash your hands BEFORE you can go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Love the sight glass

++ what ever number we're at on this. Like many, it makes the oil that much easier to check on the ride than the dipstick. Second bike I've owned with the glass and it makes the pre-flight check that much easier. I guess we are just lazy? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no idea there would be so many people liking the sight glass...go figure. Well, I guess the reason I really don't care for mine is the way it is parked in the garage the sight glass is on the wrong side up against the wall where it is hard to see it. Anyhow, I guess I have to much 'car guy' left in me yet. Probably need a few more hundred thousand on the bike before that is gone huh? :bom_glasses:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Hey SUzuki....

Listen up....

Why not save a few bucks when making the crankcase castings and leave the sight glass out...and put in a real dipstick. Cars have em, other bikes have em, why not the wee and vee? The cap is already in the right place. If I thought a Honda dipstick would read right I'd go get one....whatya say?
Perhaps if you really, really want a dipstick you should sell the 'Strom and get a Harley.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I park on the left side of my garage, so the sight glass is in the right spot...

However, Here's a little hint... Get one of those LED Keychain Carabiners (Great for clipping your Stromkeys to) ... To check the level, just pull the bike up and shine the LED on the sight glass... makes it VERY easy to see, VERY bright. And you'll always have it with you!

I actually keep my bike key on a separate small (1cm) ring, and just unclip it from the carabiner when I ride, so that the rest of the keychain isn't scratching up the paint.

R!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dipsticks suck. The sight glass is an improvment. Why go back in time to the bad old days? Whats next, asking to go back to carburators because they are cheaper?

The sight glass is a handy way of checking oil while doing an oil change as well. I fill it up to the line in the window and run the bike a little. Turn it off and fill it up until it is between the lines.

Dip sticks are hard to read and not very accurate. It is a stupid idea. If your oil is clean, it is even harder to read. I can't even read the freaking dipstick on my Miata. It always says it is full even if I know I didn't add enough oil during the change. Stupid idea the dipstick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts