StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride an '05 FJR and I'm considering letting it go so I can buy a Wee. The FJR is a great bike but it's probably more bike than I need to suit my style or riding. I'm primarily a weekend rider, explore backroads as much as possible and rarely exceed 350 mi per round trip. I often come across dirt roads where I live but avoid them at all costs due to the limitations of the FJR. I would like the flexibility of a dual sport so I can ride on whatever road happens to get in my way but I also want a bike that handles well on paved roads. I don't need the HP of the FJR but I still want a bike that "gets up and goes" when you need it to.

So .... if you are a former (or current) FJR owner, how does the Wee match up with the feejer in terms of performance, handling, comfort etc? Is there anything about the Wee that really sticks out as a huge sacrifice? Comfort is most important to me so how does the Wee compare to the feejer in ergonomics, wind buffeting etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
had an 85 FJ1100 and loved it.
I like the v because of the reduced need to twist hard throttle all the time.
I am married now, and have long said goodbye to the 1100 (just after college), and it works for me because of its versatility. Good for two up,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 02 FJR, and an 04 Wee-Strom.

The Wee is a very comfortable bike, and I think it would suit your needs. I have fitted a Givi tall screen to my Wee, and it has reduced the buffeting considerably, then again, the FJR has the same problem with buffeting.

As for power, you will find yourself riding much faster on the back roads, but the Wee is no high speed tourer, it will do it, but after riding an FJR, the Wee will feel like its being hurried along, if you know what I mean.

At the moment, I use the Wee for commuting, and the FJR, for touring, I was considering selling the FJR, as the Wee would do both, but I would miss the rush of that in-line four, that can dialled up when long trips get boring.

Have you thought about a DL1000?

Mitch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you thought about a DL1000?

Mitch.
Thanks Mitch, I appreciate your feedback.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I sort of came to the conclusion the Wee was the best choice for me considering the type of riding I do now and plan to do if I had a dual sport.

Comfort and handling are more important to me than power and from what I’ve gathered, the Wee is just as comfortable as the Vee and handles maybe a little bit better than the Vee. The only concern I have regarding power is, will the Wee get up and go when needed such as making an evasive move or pass a vehicle quickly in the 70 – 80 mph range. If the answer is yes, then I would choose the Wee (and save a few bucks) over the Vee. If the answer is no .... then I better reconsider the Vee.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Wee is quite capable in the 70 to 80 mph range, not as much as the Vee of course, as it does not have quite as much torque, but then again, the Wee turns quicker.

You need to test ride a Wee before you can make a desision.

They really are great all round bikes, if I had to sell one of my bikes, it would not be the Wee.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
07 DL 1000 and 05 FJR.... I love my Strom but it is not an FJR1300.

If you are gonna give up the FJR atleast go for the 1000 or you will regret it.
You will take a serious hit HP wise that you will REALLY feel on the Fwy... unless you are strapped for $$ and have to go cheap for the 650.

FJR is a great bike and so is my DL1000. The DL I can spread out easier on tho.
The FJR I just kinda strap on and GO! :)

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Well, I guess I guess I have to disagree about needing the 1000.(imagine that) I've had an 02 and 05 FJR and thought they were great bikes. I did not miss the power when I went to the Wee but loved the weight loss and quick handling. As far as ergos, I like the Wee better. The FJR has better wind protection but the buffeting is about the same and maybe a little better on the Wee with the Madstad and Givi. I can't emphasize enough how much I like the light weight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all this good information everyone. As Mitch recommended, I need to get on a Wee and a Vee to compare.

I'm still leaning toward the Wee at this point because I really don't think the loss in HP is a concern for me. If anyone had said either bike was way less comfortable than an FJR then I might reconsider letting go of her. But from what I've gathered so far, either strom is a great all around bike and both should suite my needs well.

So ... in the meantime, I will wait for the weather to break then head for a dealer to take a test ride or two.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let me first say I do NOT own an FJR so I cannot make a good comparison there. But, I have owned the V-Strom 1000 and now have the V-Strom 650. In the 70-80MPH range if you need to get on it, the Wee will pull quite fine up to 100MPH. As long as you're not carrying a passenger, you will probably be more than satisfied with the highway performance (even with a passenger I was surprised by it's ability to pick up if I clicked down 2 gears and I am a power junkie). The 650 motor is quite flexible. I loved the extra power of my 1000 but the 650 is more than enough 95% of the time and overall I like my 650 better, which is why I made the switch in the first place. It feels lighter and changes direction more quickly. Having talked to a good friend who has owned a V-Strom 1000, an FJR, and now an R1200 RT, he says of the three the V-Strom has the most "room," with very friendly ergonomics, especially for someone tall (he's 6'5").

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the 70-80MPH range if you need to get on it, the Wee will pull quite fine up to 100MPH.

The 650 motor is quite flexible. I loved the extra power of my 1000 but the 650 is more than enough 95% of the time and overall I like my 650 better, which is why I made the switch in the first place. It feels lighter and changes direction more quickly.

Having talked to a good friend who has owned a V-Strom 1000, an FJR, and now an R1200 RT, he says of the three the V-Strom has the most "room," with very friendly ergonomics, especially for someone tall (he's 6'5").

Very good feedback!!! :)

I have a hunch the 650 will do fine for me as far as power is concerned. I'm only 5'10 so ergos shouldn't be a problem and I'm assuming the more upright seating position of the strom will suit me fine too.

Thanks very much .... still waiting for the damn winter weather to disappear. Woke up to 1/2" of freezing rain this morning :cry:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wee or FJR

I have both. I took ownership of #49 in the U.S. in July of 02. The FJR is a great long distance platform with sport bike like qualities. For eating up the miles and road comfort, the FJR is the ticket. Loads of LD riders have chosen the FJR as the platform of choice for endurance long distance riding. 145 hp, shaft driven with loads of torque. For traveling longer distances the FJR is far better than the Wee. But!!!

The Wee is a better adventure tour. Better in gravel and dirt roads. Better using it as a commute bike, light weight and easy to get in and out of traffic especially in Ca. where we can share lanes [ split traffic]. Better gas mileage, not by much maybe 4-6 miles per gallon. Smoother than the FJR, what do you expect with a 650 twin compared to a 1300 cc power plant. Not as good two up or carrying loads.

If I didn't travel long trips or two up, and had only one choice it would be the Wee. Not saying the Wee can't do long distance but the FJR is just better.

Just an opinion and observations after having both. Mike in Fremont, Ca.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Wee is a better adventure tour. Better in gravel and dirt roads. Better using it as a commute bike, light weight and easy to get in and out of traffic especially in Ca. where we can share lanes [ split traffic]. Better gas mileage, not by much maybe 4-6 miles per gallon. Smoother than the FJR, what do you expect with a 650 twin compared to a 1300 cc power plant. Not as good two up or carrying loads.

If I didn't travel long trips or two up, and had only one choice it would be the Wee. Not saying the Wee can't do long distance but the FJR is just better.

Just an opinion and observations after having both. Mike in Fremont, Ca.
Thanks Mike.

Just curious if you find the Wee more comfortable than the FJR due to the more upright seating position. Also, did you consider the Vee before buying the Wee? If so, why did you pick the Wee?

Mike - Ann Arbor, Mi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts