StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are wheel bearings the same as the older model VStrom?

·
Registered
488 Posts
No, the main bearings are different on the new 1K

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the main bearings are different on the new 1K
I was afraid of that. I got the dimensions from an OEM parts list, but I'm still looking for an aftermarket part. It might be time learn how to re-pack bearings.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I wouldn't repack wheel bearings. Prying the seals out to add grease doesn't help much, can cause damage to the bearings if an incompatible grease is added and will probably damage the seal. When old bearings aren't cutting it any more, I'd replace them with 2RS bearings that are sealed on both sides and have the correct amount of grease sealed in. For industry standard bearing numbers, see What are the sizes & numbers of the important bearings?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was looking for. In the past I've used All Balls and have had a chance to find a new parts list. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Ball bearings are almost all metric, and whole number of millimeters, not fractions. You can take the wheel off and measure the bearings in place, outside diameter, bore diameter, width. With the dimensions you can do an internet search and find the industrial sizes. They probably are in the 6200 series...6205 or something. The suffix describes some characteristics. 2RS has two resiliant seals, that's what we want. RS is only sealed on one side. ZZ has shields with a gap for oil flow, not what we want. Most medium and all large cities have bearing supply houses that can give you good information and supply top quality bearings at fair prices. There are many good brands--these bearing supply companies know what's what.

Starting on page 44 of this .pdf you'll find the dimensions and way too much more. Ignore things like the radius of the bearing corners, etc.
http://www.koyo.com.br/upload/koyo/cat203ex - Ball & Roller Bearings.pdf

If you find the industrial bearing sizes, please let us all know.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Good to see the sizes. I do not know why he listed the rear wheel bearing with the -ZZ suffix, double shielded. -2RS bearings with the seal on both sides are available in this 60/28 size bearing.

We know the separate oil seal O.D. and I.D. from the sizes listed. We don't know the seal thickness, and we need that to find an industrial oil seal. I see seals listed 5 mm thick, 7 mm, and 10 mm thick.

·
38,103 Posts
I got the zz changed to 2RS. I know people there. ;)

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I used to marvel at what a dealer would charge for a bearing set, BMW.
I'd remove the old bearing and go to Bearings and Drives or some such and have them match the numbers with a quality maker and pay a fraction of the dealer cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts