StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved from Vancouver to Los Angeles, I've been without a bike for a while, and I'm thinking of getting a used Wee (and with my budget, it'll almost certainly be 2011 or older, hence my posting here.) I've been looking at what's for sale here, at ADVRider.com, and on Craigslist. And on Craigslist, I've been looking both for what's available here in SoCal, but also looking back at BC Craigslist. And thanks to the low loonie (and the fact that I'm now being paid in US dollars), some of the bikes I see for sale on BC Craigslist seem like Really Good Deals.

The trick, though, is importing them. Me and my family actually did this move once before in 2009, and we had to "import" our Dodge Grand Caravan, which we'd bought in Canada. We had to get a letter from Chrysler Canada saying "Yes, this model is the same as the models sold in the US, so it meets all the EPA and DOT requirements." And I gather that to import a motorcycle, it'd be the same deal.

So, do V-Stroms sold in Canada meet the US requirements? Are there stickers or labels on Canadian-market bikes that show EPA and/or US DOT certification? Has anyone else checked into this before? I'd LOVE to buy a nice affordable ride in Canada, but not if it's going to be difficult/impossible to bring it back with me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Speedometer has to be in miles per hour or dual mph /kph. California has more stringent emission standards. Otherwise should be the same.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
E-28 is the Canadian model.
E-33 is the California model.
E-3 is the 49 state model.

·
Premium Member
5,249 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
He wants a Wee though - analog instruments.

·
Administrator
13,806 Posts
My experience (with cars) is that it needs an explicit epa sticker to say it meets California emissions. I don't know how that relates to cars but I suspect Canadian bikes have not been shown to meet California emissions. (It would,me great to learn otherwise.)

..Tom

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yup. Emission might be the only problem, but pretty big one tough. How does it work if you buy used US bike from another state and want to register it in California?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Yup. Emission might be the only problem, but pretty big one tough. How does it work if you buy used US bike from another state and want to register it in California?

If the bike isn't California emissions equipped it has to have at least 7500 miles on it at the time of sale to be registered in Cal.

Why 7500 miles? Good question my guess is that it is a compromise between Cal and the EPA that allows used vehicles to be imported into Cal.

As far as buying a Canadian vehicle and trying to get it registered in Cal I wouldn't attempt it. Vehicles like that are classified "grey market" and won't get registered period. The VIN designates the intended country, the DMV will know right away it's not a US vehicle.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A specific one I'm looking at is a 2006 with about 110,000 km/70,000 mi on the clock. (C$2700 ~= US$2100, with hard top and side cases and a few other nice farkles.) So it'd be fine for California's 7,500-mile thing. And if it's analog instruments, it'll certainly have both mph and km/h on the dial, even if the odometer is km only. (That certainly wasn't a problem with our minivan; dual-measure dial, km-only odometer, no worries.)

Even a Canadian VIN isn't a problem. It's only whether it meets EPA and DOT requirements. DOT I'm sure isn't a problem. EPA, though....

Thanks for that info, greywolf! Is that something that can be deduced from the VIN? And is there anything online that would show the differences between the three?

(As well, some of the Wees I've seen for sale in Canada say "Bike originally from US, so odometer only in miles", so there's a chance the specific one I'm coveting might be the same.)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Thanks for that info, greywolf! Is that something that can be deduced from the VIN?
NO, there is no code in the VIN for the emission spec, only the emission sticker on the frame, hopefully the original owner has not removed it

·
Administrator
13,806 Posts
And if it's analog instruments, it'll certainly have both mph and km/h on the dial, even if the odometer is km only.
Why should it have MPH on the dial? We use KPH here.

My 2006 DL650 didn't.. it strictly had KM.
The ODO is digital (and isn't changeable as far as I know.

Here is a shot when it turned over 100,000 km. It shows the speedo dial clearly. While that dial came from RACERATB and corrected the speedo I believe the stock won looked the same just had the markings in slightly different spots.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why should it have MPH on the dial? We use KPH here.

My 2006 DL650 didn't.. it strictly had KM.
Sonofagun. I couldn't see your photos, photobucket must be blocked at work, but I found a picture from a Craigslist ad for a 2004 wee in Burnaby that did indeed show a speedometer with km/h markings but no mph markings. That's the first speedometer on any Canadian vehicle I've ever seen that is km/h only. Didn't know such a thing existed. Learn something new every day.

Well, one more thing to check, eh?

·
Administrator
13,806 Posts
Sonofagun. I couldn't see your photos, photobucket must be blocked at work, but I found a picture from a Craigslist ad for a 2004 wee in Burnaby that did indeed show a speedometer with km/h markings but no mph markings. That's the first speedometer on any Canadian vehicle I've ever seen that is km/h only. Didn't know such a thing existed. Learn something new every day.

Well, one more thing to check, eh?
I suspect most US made cars have the speedos with both markings (My wife's Gran Prix does.)

..Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
The guy could have swapped over a US cluster. US clusters seem to be good for switching back and forth between kilos and miles, Can spec stuff not so much. All the machines I've bought here locally that have been originally sold here in Canada have met the EPA requirements (I believe Nat Resoures/Env Can just piggybacks the EPA requirements for their standards) as indicated on the airbox/frames but I haven't seen any that meet Cali EPA emissions. I always remember certain parts for California having had different/special part numbers too.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
so many states require E33 spec vehicles today that that is pretty much what is sold everywhere in the US now even when not required

1 - 17 of 17 Posts