StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved from Vancouver to Los Angeles, I've been without a bike for a while, and I'm thinking of getting a used Wee. I've been looking at what's for sale here, at ADVRider.com, and on Craigslist. And on Craigslist, I've been looking both for what's available here in SoCal, but also looking back at BC Craigslist. And thanks to the low loonie (and the fact that I'm now being paid in US dollars), some of the bikes I see for sale on BC Craigslist seem like Really Good Deals.

The trick, though, is importing them. Me and my family actually did this move once before in 2009, and we had to "import" our Dodge Grand Caravan, which we'd bought in Canada. We had to get a letter from Chrysler Canada saying "Yes, this model is the same as the models sold in the US, so it meets all the EPA and DOT requirements." And I gather that to import a motorcycle, it'd be the same deal.

So, do V-Stroms sold in Canada meet the US requirements? Are there stickers or labels on your Canadian bikes that show EPA and/or US DOT certification? Has anyone else checked into this before? I'd LOVE to buy a nice affordable ride in Canada, but not if it's going to be difficult/impossible to bring it back with me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think when doing the reverse of what you are asking, you also need to get the recall letter, but not sure if the same applies when importing from Canada to the States.
Also - Doesn't California have stricter emissions standards than Canada?
Good luck with your purchase!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Duplicate. Only post in one place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.