StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if there are any obvious signs that the valves need adjusting before I break open the engine to take a look.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,101 Posts
Loss of power when the engine heats up is another. By the time a change is noticed, there is a good chance damage has already occurred.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
question, really

would a compression check give any hint?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Generally, compression/leakdown checks only show mechanical wear of rings or valve damage. When exhaust exhaust valve clearance is too tight, the valve may not be in its seat long enough to transfer sufficient heat. Once the valve warps and/or the seat pits, then you would see it by testing compression/leakdown. This is why there is a service interval.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If the valves are loose a trained ear can usually hear them. If the valves are tight, they will not fully seat, but they will sound just fine. This (tight valves) effects performance but what is worse is the valve sheds heat when it hits the valve seat. If it is too tight you can burn valves and or seats.

Newer unleaded engines can take a lot of valve heat though. And the shim under bucket design in a vee/wee is a pretty durable set up. There was a poll here on who checked them when and whether they were off.

On my bike the valves were checked at 20,000 or so miles. Two of the 8 were slightly out of spec. They were reset to mid range in the clearance and have not been adjusted since...nor checked. At 100,000 miles, I will check then again. I am around 82,000 miles now.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Can bad valve adjustment / position cause engine miss?

Revival of an old thread.

My '07 Wee (25K miles - stock Wee) starts and runs great but I think (not sure - recently noticed it) the engine might be developing a "miss" condition at rather high RMP (say 7-8K - engine spends essentially no time at this RMP - only touches at some gear shift points). Fuel mileage is good as ever (57.95 MPG on last tank - per gauges).

The plugs are original OEM.

Valves have never been checked or adjusted (might do that this winter).

Can valves cause an engine miss at high RMP?

If not, what's the likely cause - old / faulty plugs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
a miss or a pause? my 2009 would pause a little when i would shift at 7 or 8k. it did it since new. felt a little lean.
I'd describe it more as a miss but I haven't noticed it for the past few days. I was just wondering if out-of-spec valves can possibly cause a "miss". I guess I'm just sort-of paranoid because I haven't checked the valves yet (25K miles). I'm not worrying much though. Thanks for replying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.