StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dl650 07 abs and recently got dl1000 02, tried both bikes and liked 650 more. And now thinking is there anything better in 1k that is interchangable with 650 and worth doing that? Like shock or forks. As 650 really could use a better suspension and 1k seems alot better.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Best thing to do to the bike is upgrade the suspension, but aftermarket shocks are a big improvement on both versions and the way to go.

For the front, you can get cartridge emulators from RaceTech, or Intiminators froM Ricor, and springs from Sonic. The DL1000 forks won't bolt up to the DL650. Higher end upgrade is Traxxion fork guts -- very expensive, but worth it to some folks.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Now you know you are just inviting some smart arse DL 1000 owner to say.......
"The motor." :fineprint:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'd definitely put the 1000 seath on the 650 (it's got thicker padding).

I think the 650 suspension is fine for my purposes, but I hear the 1k is better; maybe you can swap them (either jsut the forks or also the triple t's); I don't know if the rear shock is the same on both bikes.

I'd also swap the bodywork around the front (lower cowling) so as to confuse people into thinking your vee has only one pipe.

Other than that, the only thing you can transfer from a dl1k to a dl650 that will make the 650 better is the rider...
(Oh, wait, I got that backwards, transferring the rider from a 1k to a 650 makes the rider better)

·
Registered
64 Posts
X2 on the Strom 1000 seat ....

thicker, softer, wider, more comfortable. Only down side is it adds 1" to the height.

I use the 1000 seat for long rides or two up, and the 650 seat for around town and dirty days.
[];{)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Triple clamps interchange, (one or both), no advantage on lower one. But the 1000 top clamp has rubber mounts for the handlebars.... 650 are solid.

Some claim rubber mounts cause "sloppy" handling... abserd IMO. They definitely do offer the oportunity for reduced vibes to your hands. Improvement is a judgement thing.

You probably could swap the cable versus hydraulic clutch set-up. I'm all about hydraulic clutches, but you know what, the 650 unit is quite nice as stock. Only as the cable and worm gear devise ages, or is neglected, might I feel otherwise. SV 1000 slave cylinders have been known to leak//fail.

dave

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
To make it better?

A woman...

So there.

:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yeh, but the OP wants to make his 650 better... not worse...:green_lol:
Other than that, the only thing you can transfer from a dl1k to a dl650 that will make the 650 better is the rider...
(Oh, wait, I got that backwards, transferring the rider from a 1k to a 650 makes the rider better)
You guys have a serious case of little man syndrome. Can't pass up a chance to turn any thread into a "my 650 is better than your 1000" thread. Get over it already.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You guys have a serious case of little man syndrome. Can't pass up a chance to turn any thread into a "my 650 is better than your 1000" thread. Get over it already.
And somewhere out there, 1200GS owners are concluding that you have a little man syndrome for owning a mere DL1000...:mrgreen: So on and so on...

·
Registered
816 Posts
And somewhere out there, 1200GS owners are concluding that you have a little man syndrome for owning a mere DL1000...:mrgreen: So on and so on...
No it isn't the same. I don't jump into every thread extolling the virtues of the 1000 over the 650. I've ridden both. They are both good bikes.

It just gets tiring seeing the same thing happen to every thread.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
You probably could swap the cable versus hydraulic clutch set-up. I'm all about hydraulic clutches, but you know what, the 650 unit is quite nice as stock. Only as the cable and worm gear devise ages, or is neglected, might I feel otherwise. SV 1000 slave cylinders have been known to leak//fail.

dave
I've been seriously considering converting my Vee to a cable clutch, plenty of kits available to convert SV1ks, & TLs

the other thing I'd like to do is loose 40lbs of exaust

once you take away the weight of the extra pipe, the wee & vee weigh pretty much the same

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
I've been seriously considering converting my Vee to a cable clutch, plenty of kits available to convert SV1ks, & TLs

the other thing I'd like to do is loose 40lbs of exaust

once you take away the weight of the extra pipe, the wee & vee weigh pretty much the same
1000 motor is about 30lbs heavier than the 650.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Uh, re-read my post... there's nothing "little man syndrome" about it.
Everybody becomes a better rider when you put them on a smaller bike.
Maybe you're the one with "little man syndrome"; you get defensive awefully fast. I'd say you're a little paranoid too, since there was no attack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts