StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello V people,
I have an 11 wee abs and i have installed bar risers and would like put higher bars which looks like i need longer clutch and brake cables.Will steel braided brake lines improve brake performance with the abs.

Thanks
Lonney

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It depends on the individual perception. They may improve feel, but that's about it. Feel is important though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
my buddy just bought an 011 wee w abs and was under the assumption he couldnt put risers only on without a new brake line.. is that not true??

·
Registered
450 Posts
braided lines do improve the feel but IMO you get more bang for the buck with better pads

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brake lines

I believe it was a 3/4 riser.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If I had to replace brake lines I would go with braided, but I would not spend the money just to 'farkle up'.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brake lines

Im really happy with the brakes i wouldnt change them if i didnt have to.THANKS

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
braided lines do improve the feel but IMO you get more bang for the buck with better pads
Yup, a set of HH pads will give you way more stopping oomph than braided lines, assuming your lines are not worn, and need replacing, which is doubtful for a 2011.

Better yet, do the SV Racing caliper mod, coupled with a set of HH's......it's like a new bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
break lines

I have done them on several bikes both street and dirt and I feel like they give a much better break feel. They made a huge difference on an older HD I think the original owner never changed break fluid so I think they softened up the rubber ones. A vacume pump makes it much quicker to bleed new lines.
Good Luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brake lines

I have only put steel lines on a quad which made a huge difference but i dont wanna waiste money theres alot of other things my wee could use.Like bigger bars a set of those slick mirrors for starters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brake lines

and two sets of HH pads!!! i believe thats what i have on my honda st its not abs but the linked braking and thos pads are BADASS thanks again V PEOPLE RULE

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
My experience has been the following:
- Braided steel lines are great for cutting through stuff (like control arms, springs and mounting hardware).
- I'd read about the EBC HH sintered pads that they were great, improved the feel, shortened stopping distance, etc. so I bought them; they didn't stop any better than the stock pads, but they lasted just a bit over 5,000kms whereas my stock pads lasted 32,000kms.

My conclusions:
- If it works, leave it alone
- If you have to replace it, replace it with a stock part

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love the brake feel with braided lines. This is the 3rd bike I've put them on and will continue on the next one, whenever that is. As mentioned above, they don't improve stopping power, they just help you feel how much of the brakes you are using. I highly recommend them, though with an ABS controller I don't know if you'd actually notice any difference. I know on a friends Honda with ABS and linked brakes, the tech told him flat out that he wouldn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The lines on my 04 are due for a replacement, so I'm going with braided lines all around. In addition, I'm doing the Nissin caliper upgrade.

Going from a 2 piston caliper to 4 should make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Yup, a set of HH pads will give you way more stopping oomph than braided lines, assuming your lines are not worn, and need replacing, which is doubtful for a 2011.//.
This.

Frankly I think it's as much cosmetic and piece of mind as performance benefit.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Going from a 2 piston caliper to 4 should make a huge difference.
What kind of difference do you expect?
Unless you increase the swept area, there won't be a difference in stopping power.
Since you're increasing the slave area, you will get brakes that react quicker/stronger for the same lever effort. I find those hard to modulate.
Having pistons on both sides will be an improvement on the sliding caliper design: performance should be consistent regardless of the state of maintenance and you'll finally wear your inner and outer pads at the same rate.

I think that you might have to change the master cylinder too, because if all you do is double the surface of the slave cylinder(s), your brakes will feel really grabby and lock up pretty easily imho. Incidentally, if that's the effect you're looking for, then a single piston caliper with twice the slave surface will do the job just as well.

A lot of people modify their braking systems for what they think is a better "feel". A lot of people just end up making the systems more "twitchy" and harder to modulate.

As far as performance of the braking system goes (and performance, unlike "feel", is measured in stopping distance), as long as the pad exerts enough force to equal the tire's grip, the ONLY way to decrease braking distances is to increase the stickyness of the tire, and/or if/when the brakes cannot match the tire's traction anymore, to increase the disk diameter and the size of the pad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As long as you're just asking for opinions and not out-and-out result-based facts, then, yes, I completely recommend getting s/s braided brakes lines ALONG with EBC HH pads. Together, and with a good flush/bleeding of the your system, improve feel, confidence, stopping power, etc. I used to have a CBR1100 and the pads alone were NUTS. I went with the V because a new Daddy doesn't need 160hp, but Daddy wants that superbike stopping power, and the s/s and pads helps alot. I recommend Spiegler lines over Gafler because my first set of Gafler's had some weird corrosion within a month (I guess a batch weren't properly coated before they were sent out or something). Gafler replaced them, but the Spiegler's are nicer. I had them on my '74 CB750 and the difference was noticeable... of course they should be when you replace 30 year old rubber with s/s. Get 'em, you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Change one thing at a time and test that. First, flush and bleed the brake fluid. See if the feel is better. If you're trying different pads, do them next and compare the feel. If the original fiber-reinforced brake hoses are in good condition, you probably don't need to spend the money for stainless reinforce brake lines unless you want the bling. If the original hoses are deteriorated, then the stainless might cost less than Suzuki hoses.

This is a standard brake hose showing the layers of fiber reinforcement inside the EPDM rubber tubes:

http://www.brakequip.com/prodpics/rubber_hose.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts