StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a Vee with has some front end damage. The front wheel has a pretty serious wobble and I am having it repaired. The forks and triple tree look straigth but is there any way I can know for sure.

Should I just take them off and have them straighten just to be sure?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
You can check yourself, but you ideally need something really flat (known flat) surface to roll them on.

If you are prepared to dismantle the forks - a 3 foot steel ruler held edge on against the fork with a strong light behind also works but it isn't as easy to do as just rolling them.
Even the pair of fork legs side by side - again with a strong light behind and rotated slowly will show even small bends. The problem with both the above methods is holding everything parallel.

More common than bent forks is the forks twisting in the triple clamp. With the bike on a centerstand or otherwise supported, loosen all those bolts, hold the wheel between your legs and shake the bars side to side a few times - then re-tighten.

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pull them out of the triples and look for a small crease right were they slide through. Even if someone has straightened them you will still see a little crease dimple thing. Also, most likely they will leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts