StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. I admit it, I love spine chiling acceleration. And I did something I didn't plan on doing this weekend - I sinned against my first bike, The Wee. I rode the BMW R1200Gs and three Triumphs. Bonneville T100, Tiger 1050, and Tiger 800.

I will definitely own an R1200Gs someday. Love the boxer sound. But I was so surprised by the fun factor of the Triumphs. When I got back on my Wee, I was happy. BUt the sheer blast power of that little T100 was great. Can't get the ride out of my mind. After two days of riding, 500 miles to two Triumph dealerships ( was just riding them for a friend who wants to purchase a bike but hasn't learned to ride yet) and testign the bikes, I feel like I'm missing out on something I like - power.

I have investigated the 8000-10,000RPM range of my bike. Spent a few seconds on the higer side of the speedometer, BUt, after riding those other bikes, I feel like I'm driving a miniature electric car now. Love my gas mileage and all but after 3 years of riding and about 15,000 miles I'm ready for something else. I prefer long hours of riding, days in a row in fact. 1000 miles in 24 hours kind of riding. After riding that long I'm never exhausted on my Wee but, every time I pass a BIG RIG, the big shudders, wavers and reminds me of the feeing I got just before I rolled my SUV a few years back. I haven't upgrade the windshiled so maybe that would change something. My Wee, after riding the extremely new and tight Tiger 800 and 1050, feels like 1970s Oldsmbile Delta 88-a landboat.

I spend life in the fast lane in my car, prefer the V6 because of the responsiveness and instant consistent go. DL1000 gave me the same surge. BMWR1200GS was the best. Triumphs were unbelievable. I had a headache after riding them for 15 mins but I cant get the ride out of my mind.

Just wondering if anyone else has had that experience. The wee is my first and only bike. Wasn't planning on getting anything else or a second bike. But, I wonder how any of the other bikes would feel on my longer rides (of course the VStrom goes to Alasaka and such).

I absolutely hate that the DL1000 was removed from the market. It was my logical next step.Anyway, I'd love to hear from any Triumph owners, an multiple bike owners or any who has had the need for more (not a racer I just feel more comfortable at higher speeds)

The Tiger 1050 didn't feel like a touring bike to me, it felt like a sport bike. THe T800 felt very close to the VStrom btu it was lighter, way faster, but also too tight. I could eel every little bump on the road. I'd only want the 2011 Tiger 800 if I rode in cold mountains everyday, that bike got very hot in only 15mins of riding. Woldn't want to take the Bonnevilee T100 on my planned cross country run. So my other question is, what is the logical step up/away from the DL650 if I want more umph? Maybe the new DL650 has more umph?

Last question is can you trade a bike in when you still have money to pay on it?

Thanks guys. Feeling like a traitor right now!! I love my Wee.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Call me crazy, my other bike is a 1200 beemer but I absolutely love riding the wee..............jus sayin:yesnod:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call me crazy, my other bike is a 1200 beemer but I absolutely love riding the wee..............jus sayin:yesnod:

R1200GS is a thing of beauty to me. I imagine operating cost are higher than the VStrom. So . . r1200GS for long trips, V for general riding?

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I were going the BMW route, I think I'd go to the F800GS. I'm think the smaller GS would be more fun to own and every bit as versatile as the larger R1200GS. The mid-weight GS is more manageable off road, has plenty of umph, a solid chain drive, and can be farkled to full-adventure specifications. Plus, better fuel economy would offset some of the additional ownership costs. I'm comparing it to my DL1000.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Mods, please delete this thread!

I can't afford anymore bikes! :headbang:

·
Registered
392 Posts
power

I think you need to ride a few more bikes first. The Bonneville is an entertaining bike but it's never going to be called fast, was perhaps with the orriginal in the 60's, certainly not today. If you want power and speed, a parallel twin ain't gonna do it.

Then you get to decide if you're adult enough to ride one responsibly and retain your license long enough to make it worthwhile owning a fast bike. I'm not :)

Bill H.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sins against the Wee

I gravitate in the exact opposite direction.......went from a BMW R1150 Roadster, to a 620 Duc Multistrada, to a Wee.........
For me it's finding the right tool for the job. I needed a bike that was geared lower for the small back roads that I get lost on and the capability to ride when the roads turn to dirt. Bigger bikes equal more weight, less flickability.
As much as I'd love a GS1200, for the roads that I spend the majority of my time on, it's like squirrel hunting with a Howitzer.
It's likely that my next bike will be a KLR or a G650GS thumper.........if I ever get rid of the Wee, which I like more than any of my other bikes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
IMHO, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I'm surprised nobody brought up Yamaha's Super Tenere......Prolly the closest thing to a fast 'modern' Vee-style bike as you're ever gonna find....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have a Triumph Sprint with the 1050 triple that's in the Tiger. When I bought the Wee, I thought maybe I'd part with the Sprint. Anyway, they are both older and paid for, so I decided to keep it.

I love the 1050 motor; it has been called one of the best engines in motorcycling. But, I am learning to appreciate the Wee more each time I ride it. Some motorcycles are more than the sum of their parts, and I think the Wee is one of those bikes. I am finding that once I get her rolling in the twisties, I am having just as much fun, maybe more, than on my Sprint, in large part, because of the lower weight and flickability. I won't post this on the Sprint forum, because they will flame me for it, but it's true! I think if you stay off the Interstate and off the brakes, the wee is a blast to ride. Just my .02$

·
Registered
75 Posts
BMW 800 Engine

I had a BMW 800ST which has the same engine as the 800GT. The engine has a lot of power but at interstate speed it buzzes like a nest of bees. Even using a throttle lock my right hand would be buzzing after 20 minutes. It did get great gas mileage - 55 mpg + at normal riding and almost 50 at 75mph + but it just wasn't comfortable for rides of any length at speed.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Could have been worse: I spent two days riding an S1000RR [193hp] at a CSS school.

I was backing off on the straight at 130+ and guys were blowing past me 150+.
Brakes to match. Would I own one on the street? No way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Like someone else mentioned: I came from a BMW 1150. I rode the SNAKE this weekend (I have ridden it on the 1150). It was every bit as much fun on the Wee, maybe more.

After putting 1000 miles on the Wee this weekend I don't think I'll buy another BMW even when I do get the insurance check.

just another .02

·
Registered
86 Posts
What I used to call my "main bike" is an 1854cc Yamaha Stratoliner, a bike I love and hope to never part with. The Wee came later, an attempt to find something very different to toy with. Turns out that what it's toying with is becoming my "main bike"; I can't stay off of it.

So if you're trying so hard to figure out what will replace your Wee, at least give a "smaller" cruiser a try. Maybe the Wee just needs a mate. Enjoy the hunt...

·
Registered
244 Posts
one of my favorites bikes was my 1984 R80 (BMW)... it seemed to do everything very well and was a lot of fun in the process. the wee weight, power, and handling characteristics remind me a lot of that bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've had many bikes. My experience has been that it's just as fun to ride a slow bike fast as it is a fast bike slow.

I find the tiger 800 quite tempting though. Heck I buy a new bike about once a year so I'm no one to talk. But the Wee is cheap enough I doubt I would sell it, I'd buy a faster bike and keep the wee just to see how you like it. If the wee collects dust, you will have no problem selling it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can see someone wanting a new bike after a couple years. Happens to me all the time. You know, you see something shiny and new...

The problem is....and you know you've gone too far when..... you sell what you have for the shiny new thing, then finding yourself wishing you had back that thing you had before you went for the shiny new thing. That's when you know you've got some issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm the Will Rogers of bike riders: I've never met one I didn't like. That said, if you hunger for more power, sportiness, AND comfort for longer trips, then you really could benefit from a litre-class sport tourer. 99% of my riding is commuting to work; for this the DL650 can't be beat- it is a great all-purpose bike. I almost bought a WR250 instead, since I hit some trails on occasion. I would have had a blast slinging that little 250 through traffic, but every day I appreciate the Strom's extra power, especially since it is a step down from the 100 HP bottled fury that my other bike, an antique CX650 Turbo puts out under boost. But my CX650TD is an overweight pig around town when it is out of its element. On the open highway, it is the king. Every bike has its forte. The Strom does it all pretty well. It all depends upon what you want the bike to do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
old R80ST

i had to reply given the other post about the 84 R80.. I had R80 for many years..

my previous 983 R80ST new I parted with after 25 years. Find it interested on other post about newer ST having vibes on the road as my old R80ST was not bad in that department as I put long days on it - interesting..I actually was looking at the newer BMW ST when I decided on used strom but never did test ride the 800 BMW.

i rode Vstrom and R80ST both for a bit and the R80 felt lighter almost dirt bikish compared to Strom but the Vstrom is better in handling IMO as feels like much more rigid stable frame and platform to me. Much better brakes on Strom also. About the same amount of torque mid range (actually low end I guess on strom with wide RPM range) but once the Strom turns up above 6k no comparison. I still don't regret all the years on the R80 but then small seat was outgrown by me and my wife so that was the final straw - Heck My 73 750 Tiger I loved but ay my age with arthritic wrist it vibes would probably kill me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts