StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a set of Givi E22 boxes and am mounting them on SW Motech racks with the Givi attachment. The boxes take a good push down to get the mushrooms to seat. That is getting somewhat easier as I've mounted them a few times. The upper clip attachment takes a very firm push on the plastic to get it to seat. It will seat though. Does this sounds normal or not? When removing the bags the upper mount is easy to dislodge but it is hard to pull the case off the mushrooms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. I have Givi racks and both my E21s and Trekkers both just click right in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think this happens when the rack does not fit the bike mounting points very good. The rack has a pre-tension from assembly is out of position slightly. This happened on my 08 Wee with givi rack on the left side - common problem. This resulted in the pannier coming off one time on the highway, came unlatched but did not fall off the bike - so i used and tie-down from then on. You can remove the rack and slightly bend the mounting points to fix the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the oppsite problem. Givi rack on my DL1000 with SW Motech adapters on ammo cans. They are hard to push on. I just make sure I hear the lock click.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have to slam the cases onto the rack to get the retention clip to secure properly.... I don't like doing this so I help it by opening the lid and pressing down on the latch while I pull the case onto the rack. This way the locking latch doesn't get worn down prematurely from the tight fit. It is not hard at all and not a bother what so ever. For a big trip two years ago I ran lashing strap vertically around each case AND THE RACKS to give it extra support. I got the Givi E21s mounted on the PL532.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As one other poster alluded to, the rack may be slightly under tension, or twisted a bit, due to mounting on the bike. I have this issue with my left case and I believe it's because the rack is tweaked a little from dropping the bike earlier. If I push the case firmly down onto the lower two mounting posts, it's slightly off center from the latch tab at the top. I just lift the case from the back lower mounting post a little and it lines up with the top latch and clicks right in. Nice a solid then, so I'm not really worried about it coming off. I've considered trying to bend the rack back, but I'd probably make it worse (or break something). Plus, those tubular Givi racks look tough.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I know this is about an SW Motech rack, but one of the mushrooms on my Givi rack was welded crooked from the factory. I never had Givi bags, so I cannot say if the crooked mushroom would make for a tight fit, but racks can be off. I think though I'd rather the fit be tight than loose.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It needs to require some effort or the bags would rattle when riding. There is no quantitative way to describe "unusually hard" here. Requiring more effort when new is typical. I haven't seen anything worrisome described here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but the SWMotech mushrooms are larger then the Givi mushrooms. Givi sells a kit with the correct size mushrooms.

I am hoping that someone here will be able to tell me how well the cases themselves how up to long term everyday use?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

I am hoping that someone here will be able to tell me how well the cases themselves how up to long term everyday use?
I used a Givi top case for about 6 years before moving to Trax side and top cases. Actually swapped between two; a Givi E35 Traffic and V46, depending on whether commuting or traveling. They are still in good shape somewhere in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I have A Givi E460 top case that I swap between the Wee and the Connie, as well as a set of E36 side cases and the older model E22's. All have held up very well except for some cosmetics due to kicking, banging, etc. The E36 side cases have held the bike up twice when dropped at zero speed with no damage other than a little scraping at the bottom corner.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Make sure you are not confusing monokey and monolock. They are similar and you can force the one onto the other. I have monokey e38s, a friend tried one with his monolock rack on his scooter, you had to really put your back into it to remove the case from the mount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts