StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm figuring on a ride this weekend to camp over possibly in the Northern Adirondacks, possibly as far as Maine (with options obviously for NH and VT.)

Any troopers up in those parts have any sense of how the black fly plague is developing this spring/summer? Am I likely to have a major issue in the next few days or be marginally ok?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to decide whether to go to Heart Lake or Lake Eaton in the Adirondack High Peaks, or take a run up through VT and NH around to the edge of Maine. Heading up to camp Saturday night, then on the road all day Sunday ending up back at home.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If your shipment hasn't arrived yet, let me know and I'll a second batch sent your way. The latest batch of four hundred and eighty seven brazillion is well fed and ready for travel. We are done with them. My welts are fading nicely.

Hateful little f%*#ers.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether to go to Heart Lake or Lake Eaton in the Adirondack High Peaks, or take a run up through VT and NH around to the edge of Maine. Heading up to camp Saturday night, then on the road all day Sunday ending up back at home.
What tmcgee says is true. It all depends on where you are, what time of day it is, and what the weather is. You can't count on all of the planets being aligned for you. Just ride. Worry about any insects later.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an experience one might describe as similar to hell on earthwith them in the backcountry while hiking years ago. Not eager to replicate it, so I was mainly curious how far eight and west things were getting properly bad. It seems maybe they haven't fully hit nys yet, so I'll cross my fingers and just keep it inside state lines for this weekend...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Black Flies in Vermont

As far as the Mad River Valley in VT goes, they are not much of a problem yet. Previous years they have made their presence know weeks before now. Last year, the third weekend in May, I was up in the Northeast corner of VT and was so thankful that I brought along a head net and a tent while camping. Good insect repellants are; cold temps, headnets, wind, cigars, a tent. If you can stay out of the dense woodlands or away from still bodies of water they may not be much of a bother. The end of June through July can be overbearing though. Like most things in life, you pay your money and you take your chances.

GMS

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It seems maybe they haven't fully hit nys yet, so I'll cross my fingers and just keep it inside state lines for this weekend...
It's a local microclimate thing, differences in altitude, etc.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
A coworker and I were speaking about the black fly / mosquito topic today. He lives in Otis, Maine, about a 40 minute ride from me. He told me that, where he lives, the bugs are absolutely incredible right now. At a relative's house, 10 minutes away, there aren't any bugs.

To predict and forecast insects, from day to day, and location to location is impossible.

We can talk about moose though. I can tell you pretty much where they are going to be.

B.L.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yikes !! a moose in the pool filter ?? I rode over the Kanc today down to Meridith NH and home 195 Mi........I stopped a few times and the black flys were out but not so bad that I would cancel a camping trip.........but the weather is going to suck for at least the next 5 days...............TD

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
but the weather is going to suck for at least the next 5 days...............TD
Are you saying that because the mosquitoes are going to be out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts