StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 12v outlet is a MUST for my new Wee.......question is, given the variety of outlets, what are the differences? Any waterproof/resistant socket should work, right?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Eastern Beaver for Powerlet

This very same product can be purchased for less through EasternBeaver, a stromtrooper.com member/supporter and top-notch guy to deal with. And yes, from the reading I've done, the consensus seems to be that the Powerlet socket is THE way to go. Some have reported that even marine grade sockets are not full proof. I don't have one just yet, but will likely order mine in... oh, heck, I'm off to order it right now. Good luck, Allen.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
I needed one for my Wee so I could be on my phone (Scala Rider) during a trip to ID earlier this month. I grabbed an Arctic Cat one (seemed to have a beefy flap door) at a local dealer. It was priced right (dont remember exactly) but didn't want to waste time agonizing over the price anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Marine 12 Volt Outlet

Go to a boat store and get a waterproof\resistant 12 Volt Outlet and it will work fine.

I also use marine switches for any switches.

I have a bank of three switches on the let side with a 12 Volt Outlet switchable from one of them and a 12 Volt Outlet on the right with continuous power.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What, if any, are the differences between the BMW style and automotive style? I'd like to get that shelf from RichlandRick and put a socket there.

And I LOVE that left side socket kit!!! Just the thing for my Slime compressor!

Dumb question...I'm no mechanic/electrician.....are these things hard to wire up? I think I plugged my sockets on the KLR straight to the battery or the "city light" wires.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Dumb question...I'm no mechanic/electrician.....are these things hard to wire up? I think I plugged my sockets on the KLR straight to the battery or the "city light" wires.
How forgetful are you? Leave one thing plugged directly to the battery like a GPS, cell-phone, etc and you turn the bike off and walk away...you may come back to a dead battery.

Running it switched will solve that issue. If you connect it to the light system on the bike, so turning off the bike kills the juice, you may run into issues with a GPS unit if you want to run it through that switched outlet. If the biked is turned off, you're killing power to your GPS, which means potty breaks require you to start back up the GPS unit and let it do it's thing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I read many positive references to a gentleman who runs an eBay store: towzatronics

I purchased one of the plug-and-socket kits (linked below) and have been very happy with it. Any plug will fit in the socket and I have never had a plug pull out or back out as some will that have a strong spring on the end tip. The twist-and-lock plug works very well, also. He is in Great Britain, but I received my package in about one week and shipping wasn't very expensive at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-12V-Accessory-socket-with-Twist-lock-plug_W0QQitemZ300290250507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item45eab1970b&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
What, if any, are the differences between the BMW style and automotive style? I'd like to get that shelf from RichlandRick and put a socket there.

And I LOVE that left side socket kit!!! Just the thing for my Slime compressor!

Well, in my case, my phone works with the auto style, my GPS, my compressor, etc. etc.

·
Registered
578 Posts
BMW style plugs-

That makes me wonder... what DOES fit the BMW size sockets? I heard so much about people having to purchase adaptors for the standard powerlet that I went with the auto style powerlet. At this point, I'm mostly interested in powering a compressor, phone charger, and eventually a GPS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I have a bit of a quandry. What I'd LIKE to do is get that SW-Motech bracket that'll let you put the socket on your handlebars. Call me silly, but I really don't want to drill into my new bike. Would the Eastern Beaver auto socket fit in that thing?

I was thinking about the shelf from RichlandRick, but after a $12 socket install on my KLR, I'm having a hard time swallowing $35 for the shelf and another $35 for the socket. Going strictly with SW-Motech isn't much less expensive either, plus it doesn't look very durable.

I'm going to have to brain this one out I think.

·
Registered
578 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts