StromTrooper banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Another update.
I wrote last time that the hardware is finished but thats not exactly correct. During that time a made some modifications and improvments to the code and hardware. I have added a curent sensor to monitor the servo and to allow cruise control desingagment simply by rolling back the throttle.
The oled display have been doubled. There is one in the CC case. And one in the forward module if you want to have one. I did it to decrese EM interference. The forward module is an arduino nano every. I had to use this one since regural Arduino nano does not have inaf program space to acomodate all the menus, bitmaps, and a sequencial 5 RGB leds shiftlight. The comunication between the modules is with standard serial.
The curent sensor mentioned earlier is on the PCB. But since it requires a certain rezistor it is possible to use standard 5A curent sensor sold for Arduino. The headers to conect it are already included in the design. Another feture is the possibility to use the motocycles tps sensor. Its not mandatory but allows to better map the speed with throttle input so when you activate the CC it starts the throttle closer to the desired speed. If one dont want to use tps for any reason you can manualy modify three variables for low to high speed to dial in the CC.
Curently im thinking about BT connectivity to do the setup from the smartfone.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Audio equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Amazing!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had a Rostra under the seat for a couple seasons. I ended up using it much less than I thought. I wasn't comfortable with my hand completely off the right side, (slows response for braking and/or evasive action) but the throttle turning under my hand sort of gave me the creeps too. I figured the space under the seat was more valuable to me, so I pulled it all out and binned it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bumped this on youtube. Nice diy Maciej (y). Been puzzling this in my head to my bike as well, every now and then. Got motivated that actually someone did it.
Couple of questions:
  • How do you get the speed? I was thinking, would the GPS module for Arduino to be more simpler approach (universal to different bikes). Though, do not have really experience how fast interval you should have for speed reading to get things working smoothly.
  • Then this thing worries me: How to mechanically disengage servo, if it gets stuck? mechanical "eject" release for that wire which connecting the servo and throttlebody wire control? :)
  • Servo itself needs a quite a bit torque?, to avoid massive servo, 3d print gear ratio's.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
The rosta is not 200$.
Its 200$ for a control module, 200+$ for serwomotor to operate the throttle, 80$ for buttons to operate the module and some aditional parts.
If it was 200$ i would have bougth it already and didnt bother.
And by the way mine is smaller :)
For those of us like me that cannot build one from scratch,,,,,you do not have to have all the extra stuff. I paid $180ish for the main unit, then wired it to the 'Flash to Pass' switch that exists on the bike hand grip controls...works perfect:

Rostra Global

Other than wire attachments(I recommend Posi Tap, Posi Locks) you need nothing else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I bumped this on youtube. Nice diy Maciej (y). Been puzzling this in my head to my bike as well, every now and then. Got motivated that actually someone did it.
Couple of questions:
  • How do you get the speed? I was thinking, would the GPS module for Arduino to be more simpler approach (universal to different bikes). Though, do not have really experience how fast interval you should have for speed reading to get things working smoothly.
  • Then this thing worries me: How to mechanically disengage servo, if it gets stuck? mechanical "eject" release for that wire which connecting the servo and throttlebody wire control? :)
  • Servo itself needs a quite a bit torque?, to avoid massive servo, 3d print gear ratio's.
Sory for the delay. Famili wcations and so on.
The speed is from build in speed sensor. Almost every bike have one, exept the old ones that have cable driven speedometer. Just one wire from the wire harnes to the cruise control. The GPS does not work i tunels and its slow to update.
In case of emergancy where are two options. One there is an on/off swich to power down the whole device and the throtle return spring puls the servo down (it have to be a good quality serwo that can by turned with out much efort when its not under power). And the second is a forced closeing. The servo arm that opens the throtle is made if plastick. Just force the throtle close and you can brake the contol arm of the servo. I have instaled my CC servo over 3 years ago and havent had any issuse with it ever. There ware times during testing that i mesed up the code and had to turn the CC of but thats it.
I used a savox sc-1251 low profile servo. At 6v it have inaf torque to operate the throtle linkage without any reduction gears.

Here is a video of my latest test. In the video description there is a link to a github site where I made the code, wiring diagram and scematis avalible. I am still updating the site.

The hardest part is to attach servo to a throttle body, because it requirs some disassembly and fabrications. If inaf people would be interested I can design a bracket for DL1000A that can be laser cut and bend so the instalation is as painless as possible.
The cost of making 10 PCB's is about 30 bucs on JLSPCB
I even designed a smd version already assembled, to be attached to arduino mega as a sheild so almost no fabrication is required. But since it is not a comercial product and not inaf intrest in it I havent ordered it.

This summer i have made a medium distance test. I took the bike to croatia on a trailer, (turns out you cant fit a two year old in a top case ;) ). I made a 500 km trip from Zadar to Makarska and back to go up on Sveti Jure for the fourth time and the cruise control workd flowlesly. I get a terible pain in my upper right back sholder on highways when i hold the throtle in one position for a prolonged time. No pain and even highway rides are somewhat fun. Just me, music in intercom and open road. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sory for the delay. Famili wcations and so on.
I'm running Triumph Tiger actually (sorry guys, wrong bike, wrong forum :) About the arduino speed sensor, seems that Tiger is using 2-wire hall sensor. Which is quite impossible to hook speed sensor as parallel there ( I have tried this in one other project). Arduino GPS sensors what I looked briefly, have something like 1 sec interval of reading position. But is this enough? Maciej, how fast is your current loop to read speed?

Then about Servo motor, I'm bit surprised you were able to find such servo which has strength and same time has free rotating capabilities. What I have experienced with Servo's they tend to oscillate a bit, not very accurate to keep certain position. Motorcycle is noisy environment for the frequence based signal... Anyway, I think stepper motor would be better choice. Really free rotatate, when switched off, and adequate torque is there. I was thinking master power switch would be enough for the "panic" button.

Some may say, buy a new bike with cruise control. But where's the fun factor on that solution :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I'm running Triumph Tiger actually (sorry guys, wrong bike, wrong forum :) About the arduino speed sensor, seems that Tiger is using 2-wire hall sensor. Which is quite impossible to hook speed sensor as parallel there ( I have tried this in one other project). Arduino GPS sensors what I looked briefly, have something like 1 sec interval of reading position. But is this enough? Maciej, how fast is your current loop to read speed?

Then about Servo motor, I'm bit surprised you were able to find such servo which has strength and same time has free rotating capabilities. What I have experienced with Servo's they tend to oscillate a bit, not very accurate to keep certain position. Motorcycle is noisy environment for the frequence based signal... Anyway, I think stepper motor would be better choice. Really free rotatate, when switched off, and adequate torque is there. I was thinking master power switch would be enough for the "panic" button.

Some may say, buy a new bike with cruise control. But where's the fun factor on that solution :)
As i can recall Triumph Tiger 1200 already have a cruise control from the start.
If you are refering to a 2 wire wheel speed sensor its an active hall efect sensor wich gives signal with curent not voltage. Its the same in DL1000. I have tryed to read a signal from this sensor with a small degree of succes but the signal was to noizy. I found out that the ECU sends a 5v square wave to instrument cluster for speedometer and i was able to borrow signal from that.
There are also 2 wire Vr sensors but nobody seems to use them any more.
GPS signal is unrealible.
The PID loop for the cruise control is about 5 times a second. You can swich it to do slower but whe whole PID values have to be tuned again. And GPS is also slow to connect.
Concerning the sevo motor. It is true that some jitter but its is not due to noisy input signal but inacurate servo position signal build in to the device. I have used a high end digital servo. No jitter no nothing.
A stepper motor would be a nice option but for one, you have to make positioning circut to acuratley start the stepper motor from the same position.
The torque is not that grate so a reduction gear is necesery,
Its bigger, more cables, and its capable to skip steps so accuracy would be hindered.
For a diy project servo is better. For a cmercial device stepper is more relaible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hello Maciej Karlowicz

I'm really intersted by your project, any chance you can share sources of it ?
In the video description there is a link to a github page.
It is not up to date at the moment since i made some aditional work. I changed the oled display to a round TFT screen that runs of teensy 4.0. I also redesigned the board and the code so it would run of arduino nano every instead of mega but didnt havr time to tedt it.
Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, awesome work here.
Any news? I have checked your git hub. Any chances of getting board gerbers and BOM shared?
Your new edition sounds even better. Let me know if you need help with testing. Just send me the gerbers/bom and code. I will build mine and debug it.
Also the SMD version sounds good for space saving. That is something I can finish for you if interested

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi, awesome work here.
Any news? I have checked your git hub. Any chances of getting board gerbers and BOM shared?
Your new edition sounds even better. Let me know if you need help with testing. Just send me the gerbers/bom and code. I will build mine and debug it.
Also the SMD version sounds good for space saving. That is something I can finish for you if interested
The TFT version is working but i dont have time to film it. The code for teensy reciver is kind of a mess because in my first atempt i made the whole cruise control and the tft display fit on one small enclouser on the steering wheel. I cocked up the disigne of the pcb and the teensy frose constantly. I have returned to the oroginal and left the teensy as a display only.
Send me an email and i will send you the code for both. The pcb for nano every wersion is ready but i didnt have time to put it together. I can send you the board the the bom's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The TFT version is working but i dont have time to film it. The code for teensy reciver is kind of a mess because in my first atempt i made the whole cruise control and the tft display fit on one small enclouser on the steering wheel. I cocked up the disigne of the pcb and the teensy frose constantly. I have returned to the oroginal and left the teensy as a display only.
Send me an email and i will send you the code for both. The pcb for nano every wersion is ready but i didnt have time to put it together. I can send you the board the the bom's.
i can leave my email here jurgis.lipsnis@gmail.com
I don't know if this site have private message option and I dont have your email address

41 - 56 of 56 Posts