StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finaly first prototype board have arrived. Had to order ten but looks way nicer. Of cource had to do a small revision after i ordered the board but nothing to seroius.
And it fits to a smaller housing that can be hermeticly seeled.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Impressive... and way above my pay grade! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
A little update on the project.
Last year my first kid was born so i postponed the development.
since its spring now and weather ok i diceded to move it a bit.
Last time i had problems in setting the gains for the PID algorythm so i made a Tuning box to dial in the parameters on the fly.
It worka almost perfect wich is good inaf and since that part is over i will be adding a quickshift option to the code. I have designed myself a gear lever sensor to cut the costs down.
I will be replacing those ugly swiches to 3D prined one when ill have tome to design it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
"My safety on a motorcycle"...

Life offers no warranties, and nobody's forcing you to use this tech.
Personally I like it when a person takes on a project and makes it work. Get up in the morning and step outside, and all bets are off. If it wasn't for people doing things like this we would still be driving cars from the '60s and riding HDs with car tires installed at the factory. Court cases are already underway regarding the new technology in cars/trucks such as lane correction and such, person claims that the car failed and not the drivers fault. Nothing is fail safe. Wonder how the mccruise got started?

Bravo Zulu to Maciej for his innovation and perseverance.

Reactions: Fox and Charlie1982

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Small update.
The software i running very good at the moment. Im still changing the code to make its bahavior more rafined.
Since i have an acces to a 3D printer i made myself a nicer button brcket and im working on throtle actuator to make it easier to mount and service if neccesary.

The final version if it will be working is going to be 3D printed. If something brakes i can always print a replacment.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Excellent progress. 3D printers are turning out to be what everyone with an older bike needs. Great project. This Arduino components are well suited for projects like this. Using the Speeduino project to provide a replacement ECU for my 1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition fuel injected bike - uses Arduino components as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Next update.
Today i have finished adding a small oled screen that can be mounted next to control buttons. A menu is implemented to tune and store PID parameters in eprom without a computer.
Here is a small video of the menu. Turns out it wasnt such an easy task to leave inaf free ram for arduino to work properly.
Have not tested it on a bike yet. First i need to desing a new button case to acomodate the screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hello again.
Here is my latest update. It bahaves better and oled works ok. Took some time to figure out how to make the comunication protocol imune to EMI and not freezing the Arduino. Now it sometimes shows garbage but it does not affect the flow of the code.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good to see your hard work paying off. Like the cruise control module. I was reading up on the cruise control for my 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Limited Edition and Honda has 13 fail-safe cut-off mechanisms that interrupt the cruise system for a variety of reasons. Know of 8: front/rear brake, clutch lever, shifting gears, engine speed exceeding 6800 RPM, closing of throttle manually, cruise computer failure, and failure of vacuum control valves. Haven't found the last 5.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
To add so many fali safe options would require desining the hardware and the software to a specyfic bike. This would make the device to complex and to dificult to setup in other bikes. For now it has a brake cutof and it turns off if the speed signal circut is not working. I left it on during gear change to make resume function more convinient a specialy with quickshifter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hear you on the complexity. Have enjoyed your cruise control work, made me look at the cruise install on my bikes and the different parameters involved in the operation. Installed an aftermarket cruise control on my '65 Plymouth Fury back in '85. Sensor used the drive shaft rotation for speed control, and disconnected when brake applied. Honda put everything into the cruise. Found some other fail-safe attributes: won't engage under 30 MPH or over 80 MPH, need to be in 4th or 5th gear. Don't believe that car cruise controls back then were this complex. Cheers

21 - 40 of 56 Posts