StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have been a proud ovner of 2014 dl1000 and I did over 60K km during that time.
But I noticed two mayor problems. One is power but for now i dont have a solution for this one. The other is lack of cruise control on that long highway rides towards the more interesting parts of the world. And the throtle lock just was not it.
So i said to myself how hard can it be?
Turns out kind of hard. With no education in electronics or programing i was a intersting work.
Arduino, rc model servo, couple more parts and i came up with a working prototype.
For now i cant post any pics or links to a short test but if you have any questions fire away.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rosta is not 200$.
Its 200$ for a control module, 200+$ for serwomotor to operate the throttle, 80$ for buttons to operate the module and some aditional parts.
If it was 200$ i would have bougth it already and didnt bother.
And by the way mine is smaller :)

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Reinventing the wheel? Great exercise in search for knowledge.
There used to be a kit electronics company...Heath Kit. A friend built a color TV and another made a automotive tester that worked amazingly well.
Now it's an APP on your phone!
I love the smell of solder flux in the morning! It smells like success.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome job. I'm guessing you need an accelerometer to since the speed changes and feed that to the servo to adjust the throttle. I'd probably add in a resister on a set screw for the sensitivity so its easily adjustable. Arduino is awesome and I'm sure you feel the reward of your efforts thus far.

I was heavily in to large RC helicopters and drones before the peeping toms of the world ruined it for everyone anf the FAA had to get involved. I was working with a friend on our own controllers. Its all the same principals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not using an accelerometr. I use PID algorythm to controll the speed. Dilaing in the PID was somwhat timeconsuming. Testride, changing the code, uploading, testride, and so on and so on. Reading the abs wheel speed sensor wast the most chalanging part. And about reinveting the wheel. Maybe so. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Shoot, I thought I was a "bada$$" when I started on a chain oiler using an attiny85 and a surplus windshield washer pump. This looks much more interesting. At least I completed a brake light blinker that I never installed but it used a 555 timer chip. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If anyone is interested in getting into Arduino controlled projects, this is probably a good place to start. It's all open source, with lots of projects already completed by other people in the community. I'm just starting to look at all this stuff, and it's very cool.

https://www.arduino.cc/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool I hope you will share the knowledge. I like to tinker. Does it disengage when the brake or clutch is operated?
Yup. The brake is desingaging the cruise control but the clutch is not implemented yet. I wired the cable though. The clutch swich does not engage untill you depres the lever fully so i decided no to do it at this time.
Now i have to figure out how to eliminate some of the noise from ignition system. I have an LED to indicate id the cruise is active. The noise from the ignition is turning on and of the transistor that operates the LED when the cruise is not engaged. It does not affect other fucntions but the blinking is annoying.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the EMI noise you could try sometime simple like a ferrite magnet ring or some shielded tape to wrap the wires in. Don't run your wires in parallel with any other wires. Try and cross them at 90 degs.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I had no idea it was that expensive in Poland.....ok I get it now:)

You can ditch the key pad to save $. I wired my Rostra to the flash to pass for engagement. No, you won't have the luxury of adjusting speed once set, but it does make you an expert at getting the speed right the first-time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had no idea it was that expensive in Poland.....ok I get it now:)

You can ditch the key pad to save $. I wired my Rostra to the flash to pass for engagement. No, you won't have the luxury of adjusting speed once set, but it does make you an expert at getting the speed right the first-time.
I have almost finished the prototype. Whats the pont now? Besides its still cheeper then rosta, not to mention the knowlage i gained in electronics or programing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really cool. Always wanted to do this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
The rosta is not 200$.
Its 200$ for a control module, 200+$ for serwomotor to operate the throttle, 80$ for buttons to operate the module and some aditional parts.
If it was 200$ i would have bougth it already and didnt bother.
And by the way mine is smaller :)
Sorry but I'm not foolish enough to trust my safety on a motorcycle to a piece of equipment designed by someone with no experience or formal training in designing and building a complicated device like a cruise control.

I don't think Maciej has thought this project through!

After watching his video of a test ride where he is blasting down a narrow city street I am doubling down on not wanting to trust his skills in electronic design. Sorry but that was just plain stupid!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry but I'm not foolish enough to trust my safety on a motorcycle to a piece of equipment designed by someone with no experience or formal training in designing and building a complicated device like a cruise control.

After watching his video of a test ride where he is blasting down a narrow city street I am doubling down on not wanting to trust his skills in electronic design. Sorry but that was just plain stupid!
So maybe I'm just crazy, but a cruise control is not that complex of a device. All it does is automate throttle input based on speed. Really just a "smart" throttle lock. And people use those all the time despite safety concerns. The hardest part is like he mentioned, is figuring out when to give the correct amount.

The absolute worst case scenario, is throttle being stuck wide open from bad information and the brake override fails. Fortunately, motorcycles already have a fail safe for that situation called the kill switch and a clutch lever.

Now would I sell it as a product to the general public? Absolutely not! But as someone that designed the system himself, he already knows the risks, and if he's perfectly comfortable with that, it's his decision.

I will give you that testing on a narrow urban road probably wasn't the smartest idea though. I would definitely test it a bit more on rural roads before I was confident with that. But hey it works.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts

i haven't seen any blasting in the video.no idea what you are talking about.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts