Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat morning , 16 May, the Wee and I will be heading toward Anchorage, AK.

Wife will fly up and we will play tourist for a week. After she takes the plane back to Georgia, I will start heading in the general direction of home. I made the trip up to the Arctic Circle in Alaska and on up to Deadhorse in 2010, so on this trip, weather permitting, I want to make an attempt on the Dempster and ride up to the Arctic Circle in Canada.

You can follow my progress via my SPOT shared page.

The planned route to Anchorage

The planned route for the trip back home.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
That sounds like an amazing trip. I hope the weather cooperates with you. The Plains states have been getting pounded lately. Best wishes and I'll be looking forward to your trip report!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Have a great time. 2 years ago I also did the AC and Deadhorse, and have plans to catch the Anchorage and associated areas, along with the Dempster, in a couple of years. So if we are off by 3 years in our rides, that means I better prepare for 2018! :thumbup::mrgreen::hurray:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
16 May 2015

Miles: 510
Time on road: 9 hours 30 minutes

Woodstock, GA to Monticello, AR

5:45 and the wheels were rolling. Weather was better than what the weather reports were predicting. Mostly cloudy with some light mist here and there.

I was trying to stay off of the slab as much as practical. Two lane roads through Georgia and into Alabama where I picked up I-20.

A little bit of Georgia:

And some Alabama two lane:

Alabama two lane was short lived and then it back to I-20.

More clouds and more frequent showers of light rain just south of Birmingham.

Off of I-20, made it through Tuscaloosa and took Hwy 82 west which took me through Mississippi and into Arkansas. Mixture of sun and clouds with the temperature into the lower 80's.

Crossing the Mississippi River:

Made it into Monticello, AR by mid afternoon. My planned stop for the day.

Tomorrow I will be heading up to Oklahoma City to visit with a friend.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
17 May 2015

Miles today: 467
Total miles: 977
Time on road: 9 hours

Monticello, AR to Oklahoma City, OK

The Weather Channel had been reporting a lot about a large line of thunder storms and tornados that extend from south Texas all of the way up to Minnesota. It was moving to the east and I was going to be riding to the west. Seems that the only way through it is thought it.

I left this morning expecting the worst but hoping for only rain minus the thunder storms, winds, and tornados. The system was weakening over night so maybe I would be lucky.

Before being able to leave Monticello I was detained by the local LEO. After about 10-15 minutes I had answered all of his questions about the bike and I was on my way.

Headed west on Hwy 278 then picked up Hwy 8 out of Warren. Nice little two lane road with numerous easy curves.

The first rain band caught me much earlier than I expected. Still had all of the vents open in the jacket. Narrow curvy road, no place to
stop and close up the vents. Water proof jackets are not very water proof when you are riding with the vents open. It rained hard for about 15 minutes then finally stopped.

Stopped at the next town that I came to and put on an external rain jacket and water proof gloves, and made sure that everything on the bike was water proof. Now I was ready to do battle with the forthcoming beast. Of course, 10 minutes later, the sun started trying to appear.

After riding in this false hope for a while, then the rains came. Around 100 miles in a hard down pour. However no lightning or strong wind so I had no real complaints.

Reaching the Oklahoma state line, the rain was replaced with wind and sunshine.

Continued west for a while in Oklahoma and then went north on Hwy 2 back up to I-40.

Finished the day's ride into Oklahoma City on I-40.

Stopping in Oklahoma City to visit with a friend that my wife and I have long time. Got to Susan's house and had a very unexpected greeting.

Will stay with Susan Monday and then back on the road again on Tuesday.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
18 May, 2015

This was a non-riding day.

Weather was great today. Plenty of sunshine and in the 80's.

Breakfast also included 2 home made pies. Needed to finish them up by today. Can't take them with me

Took a short hike down by Lake Overholser.

Ate too much.

Took a nap.

Went to see Susan's daughter and grandchildren.

Oklahoma Cuties.

Ate too much trying to finish the pies.

Back on the road tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
First, thanks for sharing your adventure. Please keep them coming. Second, I've just got to ask about the LEO stopping you. What was that about? General harassment?

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Subscribed.........well, watching anyway. Keep the pics and verbage coming as long as you can!! Need pics of you + bike.......camping???........eateries/food...........and "yes", elaborate on the LEO conversation. :thumbup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was about to leave the gas station when the LEO came up to me. It was only about the bike. What was it, how did I like it, how did it perform, etc. Just being friendly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
19 May 2015

Miles today: 552
Total miles: 1,529
Time on road: 10 hours 15 minutes

Oklahoma City, OK to North Platte, NE

Left this morning around 6:30. cloudy, 58F and suppose to be a high of 65 for the day.

Got through the traffic in Oklahoma City and headed west on I-40 for about 40 miles. The temperature was dropping.

Headed north on Hwy 270. The temperature was still dropping. By now, it was in the 40's.

Cross winds picked up and the temperature was still dropping.

About 2 hours into the ride continuous rain started. At one point the temperature dropped down to 34F and was back up to 38 when I quit for the day. Over 7 hours of steady rain with temperatures in the 30's.

When I did the Chihuahua Rally, we adopted the unofficial title of "Drowned Rats". This was due to intense lightning and hard rain that we had to go through on our return into Chihuahua. After unloading the bike and getting all of my gear into my motel room, it was obvious that I had once again become a "Drowned Rat".

Not the best day that I have ever had on the bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
20 May 2015

Miles today: 510
Total miles: 2,039
Time on road: 8 hours 30 minutes

North Platte, NE to Buffalo, WY

Today started out at 38F and cloudy. However, no rain and no winds to deal with. No complaints.

Started with about 50 miles on I-80.

Hwy 26 northeast into Wyoming and the north on Hwy 85 to Newcastle, WY. Temperature very slowly climbed up into the 40s.

Chimney Rock to the right.

Hwy 16 and then 100 miles of slab on I-90 into Buffalo. Bighorn Mountains in the distance.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Which bike are you riding and why?
Good luck, stay dry and have a safe journey.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which bike are you riding and why?
Good luck, stay dry and have a safe journey.
09 DL650

It is set up for long distance travel. Russel Day Long, 5.7 gallon aux gas tank (gives me 11.5 gallons onboard, 2 sets of aux lights and controllers, just to name a few. Has all of the power that I need to do the trip and is dependable. Regular gas and the Wee's mpg can make a difference on money spent on longer trips.

I would not hesitate to take either bike on any of the trips. With the extra power of the S10, it is more fun to ride. Handles speed of 75+ better on the interstate, 2 up is easier, but does cost more to operate. I use it more as my local fun bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
21 May 2015

Miles today: 527
Total miles: 2,564
Time on road: 8 hours 15 minutes

Buffalo, WY to Missoula, MT

Today as just a travel day. Getting from point A to point B by the fastest route. In other words, all slab.

Day started out at 38F and sun. Lots and lots of sun. Before long, the temperature was in the 40s. By the time I quit for the day, it was in the mid 70s. No rain, no wind. Some days are good, even on the slab.

Simple route, all on I-90.

For today, it is easier to just let thhe pictures do the talking.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
22 May 2015

Missoula, MT

At least I was. Loaded the bike this morning, put all of the gear on, turned the ignitation on, and the bike would not run.

Called the tow truck and was taken to Maverick Motorsports. Service department took the bike in and started to work on it. Everything checked out fine, but the bike would not run. They continued to try and find the problem.

In the mean time, a Montana Cutie:

While I was waiting, they said that I could take a ride. No not that, a demo ride on the bike. The Zero is an electric bike. Very impressive little bike and fun to ride. I had no real time limit and took off on the bike.

During the demo ride I discovered that the deer could read the road signs.

View of the mountains that I was suppose to be riding through today.

Later this afternoon I got the good news. Bad fuel injectors. Then the bad news. The closest ones were in Georgia and they could not get them here before Wednesday.

So now I have 5 days to replan my route. Will not be back on the road until Thursday.

·
Registered
414 Posts
damn, what some rotten luck. do you know what caused the injectors to go out? am very much enjoying your reports. ride safe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn, what some rotten luck. do you know what caused the injectors to go out? am very much enjoying your reports. ride safe.
No clue at this point. The bike was running fine the night before. Would not run the next morning.

Just glad that I was not half way through the mountains on Hwy 12.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn, Road Dust, thats just bad luck. Am enjoying the trip report and pics you are posting. Surprised they dont have any injectors any closer and cant get them there any quicker. I was wondering why your Spot page still had you in Missoula. Get to spend Memorial day weekend with no transportation. Hate to hear it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts