Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you an interest in Aprillia mirrors and wondered what the Chinese made models were like? Well read on, I have had a great reluctance to order parts from half a world away, preferring to buy off of Amazon or an American motorcycle aftermarket company. I decided to try a set of replacement mirrors styled like Aprillia Tuono's. I searched EBay and found a seller with a good feedback and lots of experience and located a pair for $25 and change with free shipping. So I ordered a set and exactly two weeks later they were delivered to me in the mail.

Here is how they arrived. My first thought was " Uh oh! That doesn't seem like very sturdy packing for such a long journey.

Inside the bag though, was a layer of foam wrap and inside that was a box and inside that were the mirrors wrapped in bubble wrap. All in all very well protected and light weight. The mirrors were in perfect condition and looked exactly as they appear in the ad.

The right side mirror was completely frozen, no movement was possible for the mirror head. I thought, " Here we go, this is why you don't order stuff from China!" However a little silicone spray loosened it right up.

The back of the mirror head had this stamped on it and I thought it was a manufacturers logo. It stands for China Compulsory Certificate and is an indication that it passes safety regulations. ( think DOT in America)

Here you can see exactly how stock and aftermarket compare.

Original

And The Aprillia mirrors

At first glance I can tell you this, they sit lower and wider than stock, they have a smaller viewing area than stock, but I like the look, and even though they are a little smaller, the fact that they are wider gives you a better look at what's behind you. You aren't seeing your arms and shoulders so much. The way they are lower makes the view in front seem more open too.
I just installed them and haven't even gone for a ride yet. I will live with them for a while and come back with some impressions in a couple weeks. All in all I'm happy with the service, price, and initial quality. Time will tell though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Good review, thanks for sharing. Care to share the eBay link?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought the aprilla's for $75 can, who knows maybe they are made in China. You will like your new ones, one of the best farkles you can do to your bike. Less turburlance and definetly cooler looking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought the real ones and I like them a lot more than stock. Look better, opens up your forward view, and wider. Took a ride or 2 to get used to not having the old "truck mirrors" but I'm very happy. Plus they seem to vibrate a bit less. Well worth it to me at $75, even better deal at $25.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the verdict is in. I love these mirrors, they don vibrate even at freeway speeds, they look good and the lower wider stance really does open up the view forward. A real bargain at $25.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. I may have to rock on those, wider angle of view and less wind noise is a win-win. I never understood the stock mirror in being so square, as in tall. Perhaps they were intended for viewing the driver of the gigantic truck behind me.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this post is over a year old, but I wanted just to thank Johnny for this write-up. A week ago I was looking to replace my mirrors on my 06 1000 and came across this post. This was the best info I found but when I clicked on the eBay link that supplier was out of stock, but in doing some searching I found the same one's in Johnny's write up from a seller in California. The only difference is that these don't have the same certification on the back. Here is the link. Says they only have 2 in stock now.

Motorcycle Black Mirror M10x1 25 for BMW F650GS F800GS F800 F650 GS 08 11 Tuono | eBay

My experence is the same as Johnny. I love them. Great view, clear and with very little shaking. I added a wide angle mirror and stuck in the far corner nearest me and in that position, they do not interfere with the view at all. After a one hundred mile ride at speeds of 80 MPH the didn't move, plus an added benefit is that they have just about completely cured the buffeting.

Chinese Aprilia Mirrors comp by Roy Dressel, on Flickr

I am using a Givi windshield in the cooler winter months but even with that, I still had a little buffeting that was annoying. Now, it's just about gone. The air now is about a nine on a ten scale. It feels like a different bike.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roy, I am glad those worked out for you.
I've had mine on for over a year now and still really like them. It's funny though, the right side mirror head that initially was frozen and I had to free it up with a little silicone, wound up becoming a little loose and wouldn't hold position. I cover my bike at work and when I removed the cover the mirror head would be drooped. I put just a drop of super glue on it and it's perfect now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts