StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in the midst of doing performance upgrade using the SV cam swap, I also decided to install the APE manual tensioners. Well, I didn't do my homework on this one and discovered this evening that the APE needs to have the oil jet blocked off. Instruction with the APE stated nothing about this issue. Once I took off the stock adjuster, I saw the jet and also noticed that the jet extends above the mating surface so there is NO way to just bolt on the APE unit. I have been searching Google to locate a description as to to the right way to block off this oil passage so that the APE unit will not leak. It looks like the jet just screws out so if I removed it, perhaps the APE's gasket will cover it and possibly block it off, or do I need to clean the oil away and block the passage with RTV sealant? I removed the rear wheel and that plastic shield mounted at the front of the swingarm to make access easier to the rear cylinder tensioner. Moving the rear brake lines off to the side also helps in access. Anyone with experience installing the APE unit???

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I'm totally unfamiliar with this, but why would you want a manual tensioner (one that also apparently requires blocking off an oiling point) - vstrom tensioners are hardly ever in the News regarding problems?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm totally unfamiliar with this, but why would you want a manual tensioner (one that also apparently requires blocking off an oiling point) - vstrom tensioners are hardly ever in the News regarding problems?

You are correct that the Wee's tensioners are not known for reliability issues. However, generally speaking, auto tensioners can fail when the detents don't hold the tensioner's spring loaded plunger bolt properly. Greywolf described what can happen when the RPM's are high from a full throttle and then suddenly the throttle is chopped closed. A manual tensioner insures that there is no way to have a suddenly slack cam chain. Keep in mind that this cam swap along with the Power Commander and K&N air filter boost HP by around 17%. The downside is that the manual adjuster requires a correct initial setup and routine adjustment afterwards. To clarify, blocking off the oil jet has nothing to do with lubricating the engine. It has more to do with hydraulics. I had the tensioner out and examined the oil jet orifices and it appears that the jet directs pressurized oil behind the plunger which would push it into the chain tensioner/guide. Perhaps Greywolf will see this post and provide technical insight into how this oil jet works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts