StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering tank panniers for my DL1000. I don't really need the luggage space, but could use it. I want them to help with wind blast that comes around the fairing/tank. Anyone have any pictures of your tank pannier setup?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I like the idea of tank panniers because, it seems to me, they should help move more of the weight forward. Since this bike has a tendency to be light in the front, that could help handling a lot when loaded.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried them and has noticed a difference in handling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
These pictues were taken after a 4 day 3 night camping trip with the wife the end of Sept. '09. These "tank panniers" , although hard to see in the pics, held a cable lock, two full rainsuits, a book, first aid kit and some other items and still had room. They perfomed great all weekend. I paid $20.00usd. for them brand new. They are actually a sturdy nylon canvas saddle bag for horseback riding that I bought at Tractor Supply Co.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
i use a set of aerostitch bagss in the cold weather to block the
wind. I just hang them across the fairing and bungee them to
the crash bars. ugly as sin, but they do help block cold air.
I'm with Mike on this one. I had a set of Aerostitch that I used on my KLR and K-75. Great for protection on the legs for either cold weather or rain. Plus, they give added packing volume for things that just don't fit anywhere else.

I'm going to be in Duluth later this summer and will probably pick up another set for the Wee.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do a search here for "Famsa". I have been thinking of buying their bags as they look great and get good reviews from those that own them. The only downside is the $300 cost, but that includes a matching tankbag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I keep thinking there must be a good way to hang a couple of those ever-so-tacticool "bail out bags" that are covered in molle attachments from my PWD bars. Anyone got anything mounted to their Pat Walsh crash bars?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
+1 on the aerostich bags...i love em', i think theyre running about $120 come in black too.

But do the straps fit across the tank of the Wee?

Wolfman expedition ones don't, tried them the other day [but you can make longer straps for them].

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dndrx,
Could you email me pictures or pm me pictures of the Wolfman panniers on your DL? Before I pulll the trigger on a set I want to see how you have them mounted.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is the best I could do for a pic with my Wolfman tank panniers. I'd have to look thru 700+pics to find them all. They were handy on my 2+ week ride thru Nova Scotia last year. They were relatively weather-proof, although some of the heavy downpours got inside.
It was handy to carry some of the less-used but important stuff up there for me, like tools (which I never needed), but it beat having to dig under the seat or to the bottom of the cases to find such. Finallt ended up just keeping bottled water in them.

Chris in Boston

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on the Wolfman panniers. I've had a set for about 20,000 miles on my previous bike and just put them on my new Wee. Not waterproof, but that's not an issue for me. IIRC they came out with a waterproof version for this year.

No pics, but mine are attached by the pannier's 2 straps to my (Hepco-Becker) engine guards.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
famsa Tank Bag and Panniers

Here's my setup on the '06. A little more $ wise but after 4 years, I still find the, quite good and definitely cut down on wind at the knees. I like to be able to spread the weight around when camping and the panniers give me that little bit extra flexibility.

Safe rides,
Bob

·
Registered
171 Posts
Molle, Molle,

Did someone mention Molle?

$ 9 Bucks apiece on clearance, Already had a can of camp dry.

Will run for next months camping trip. Cover in one side and rain gear in the other.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine do. They kind of stand up on their own on the floor when not in use, but they can be squished down and sort of flattened if need be.
Chris in Boston

1 - 20 of 24 Posts