StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious what these bikes output. In most states, there is no testing....but I know some states do require it.

Was just watching MythBusters, where they looked at the NOx, CO and HC output of "a motorcycle" vs "a car". For the motorcycle, they used (I think) a Yamaha XT250. They said it was injected and had a catalytic converter.

The results for the bike:
CO- 12.1g
NOx plus HC- 2.0g (or thereabout)

This was many times more for both of those items than any car tested. So, they concluded that for CO, NOx and HC....motorcycle are far worse than cars. Something seems wrong with their test. First of all, the current EPA and Euro4 standards are MUCH MUCH lower than this (currently .8 for total nox plus hc). So, are they saying this brand new bike (and a fi 250cc with catalytic converter at that) is blatantly (more than twice the legal limit) in violation of all EPA regs??? And if so....what does that say about a big v-twin?? I don't buy it. :rolleyes1: So......anyone have a printout handy with their results for oxides of nitrogen, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide??

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am not surprised. Cars are super efficient these days. I dont think that there are huge consumer pushes to get motorcycles more efficient/environmentally friendly however, to say that "motorcycles are far worse than cars" well that all depends on what's being compared to what.

Cars never became as efficient as they are now over night, and neither will motorcycles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts