StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I had the '03 SV1000, the guys at the SV forum were raving about the changes in their bikes' performance by using a Timing Retard Eliminator. I got one on e-bay and noticed a definite improvement in performance in the lower gears. Much snappier throttle response. But, cold idle was too low, unless the clutch lever was depressed, and it would shut off unless I kept it running until one bar was showing. That was a bit aggravating. :weapons_90: Overall, though, it was worth it.

Wondering why I haven't seen anything in this forum about one. :confused:

Has anyone tried one? http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm According to the verbiage, no cold idle problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Never heard of this either, but seems like a nice upgrade for $115 if it works as advertised. Also curious to know if anyone has experience with these in a strom.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Its a closely guarded secret around here but yes they work. You will lose the overdrive indicator.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its a closely guarded secret around here but yes they work. You will lose the overdrive indicator.
Hello Mr. Mortine,

Will you kindly ass plain just they work and how? Please? Do I really need one?

Thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello,
Do a google search for GiPro and all the info is there on what they do.
Good luck. If you do fit one ,please let me know how you find it.:)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hello Mr. Mortine,

Will you kindly ass plain just they work and how? Please? Do I really need one?

Thank you.

Yes they work as claimed & No you don't really need one. However there are a lot of things done to these bikes that are not really needed :D

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And, Jeff at JSD has 'em too - http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_Info/JSD-3V/jsd-3v.html
One's on order. He claims it wont cause the cold idle problems that my SV experienced. I'll let you know!! ;)

From what I've read, it tells the engine management system it's in 4th gear all the time, getting rid of the timing retard built into 2nd & 3rd, and improving throttle response in those gears (I wonder why they restricted just those gears?). Unfortunately, since the ECU also controls the "OD" lite, it will never come on. That's okay - I can tell when it's in OD.

Speaking of info, my old GS1100E had a built-in gear indicator that told you what gear you were in at any time. That was nice!! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tre

:pIhave a TRE installed in my 02 vstrom 1000 and it works. It smooths out the throdle in the first 4 gears. When you are hard in the corrners is where you well really feel it. IT WORKS

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
How about the 650, any benefit there?
No, from what I know about the 650, they are not restricted and the TRE is of no use to increase performance.

Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about the 650, any benefit there?
Yes, the 650 will benefit just like the other Suzuki EFI models. I have used his product before, and it works exactly as claimed. Here is some information directly from Ivan:

The TRE is a device which allows much better throttle response in the first 4 gears on all EFI Suzuki sportbike models.
What the manufacturer has done is to make a SEPARATE IGNITION MAP FOR EACH GEAR.
This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first 1/2 turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4.
They were clever in the design of this timing retarder. It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it into 5th gear and then it's gone. You have nice, smooth operation.

This helps eliminate the stumbling in the lower gears up to half throttle. It is worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I built a TRE according to the archives here, installed it and my bike ran a bit rougher although overall not much differently I was hoping I could loft the front wheel in second at will but apparently not. In stock form the front wheel gets light and that's about all.

Mind you that may be a good thing, anyway I didn't feel any significant power increase and felt my bike ran rougher at lower revs.

I removed the evil thing. DL1000 K7 Euro

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yes, the 650 will benefit just like the other Suzuki EFI models. I have used his product before, and it works exactly as claimed. Here is some information directly from Ivan:

The TRE is a device which allows much better throttle response in the first 4 gears on all EFI Suzuki sportbike models.
What the manufacturer has done is to make a SEPARATE IGNITION MAP FOR EACH GEAR.
This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first 1/2 turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4.
They were clever in the design of this timing retarder. It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it into 5th gear and then it's gone. You have nice, smooth operation.

This helps eliminate the stumbling in the lower gears up to half throttle. It is worth every penny.
GeoJedi,
Read the Ivan's TRE web site a little farther to get to the info on the v strom. What you posted is for the sport bikes ( gsx600& 1000) not the strom.

Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
GeoJedi,
Read the Ivan's TRE web site a little farther to get to the info on the v strom. What you posted is for the sport bikes ( gsx600& 1000) not the strom.

Rich
I stand by what I quoted from Ivan's sight. The information I posted was about Suzuki EFI engines. There is not a section "specifically" for the strom because there does not need to be a special section. The mapping issue is the same across the EFI models in that throttle position up to 1/2 throttle is retarded and the TRE eliminates that. The only reason there are different TRE models is the amount of resistance required in the resistor. For instance, for the TL1000R the resistance is 15,000 ohm in the gear indicator wire running to the ECU while in 6th gear. Thus, to fool the engine into thinking you are in 6th gear Ivan puts a 15,000 ohm resistor inline on the gear indicator wire. Other bike models may have a different amount of resistance on the wire, and thus Ivan needs 7 or 8 different TRE models to account for this. But, regardless of sportbike, vstrom, or non-suzuki bike listed on the sight, the application of the TRE is exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I stand by what I quoted from Ivan's sight. The information I posted was about Suzuki EFI engines. There is not a section "specifically" for the strom because there does not need to be a special section. The mapping issue is the same across the EFI models in that throttle position up to 1/2 throttle is retarded and the TRE eliminates that. The only reason there are different TRE models is the amount of resistance required in the resistor. For instance, for the TL1000R the resistance is 15,000 ohm in the gear indicator wire running to the ECU while in 6th gear. Thus, to fool the engine into thinking you are in 6th gear Ivan puts a 15,000 ohm resistor inline on the gear indicator wire. Other bike models may have a different amount of resistance on the wire, and thus Ivan needs 7 or 8 different TRE models to account for this. But, regardless of sportbike, vstrom, or non-suzuki bike listed on the sight, the application of the TRE is exactly the same.
Geo,
You are correct about the wed site. I guess it has been updated since the last time I looked at it.
The info on the site concerning the v strom is misleading. I suggest you call them if you like ,as I have, and you will find out that the vee is limited in the first three gears in the lower rpms, has full power in fourth gear and is limited in fifth and sixth gears in the higher rpms to limit top end speed to 125 mph. With the TRE installed the ECU thinks the bike is in fourth gear all the time and you lose the over drive light when you are in sixth.
As far as the 650 goes,I don't know why the timing maps wouldn't be set up to produce full power in all gears. At 62hp it certainly isn't over powered and it doesn't need the top speed limited. I guess if it is limited, it would be for emission reasons. Neither stroms are equipped with knock sensors so a way to get around that would be to retard timing in the rpm areas where knock may be prevalent. This is just a guess on my part but I think putting a TRE on the 650 wouldn't gain much and might mean you need to put mid grade or high test gas in it.

Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
No go on DL650's

Drat! This is what I just got from jsdproducts.com for a question I posed concerning TRE on DL650's.:

The JSD-3V & JSD-4V work only on the DL1000. The DL650 has different
connectors so my products won't fit it.

You might be able to pull the factory connectors off and use std TRE
connectors to get plug-n-play.

-jeffw

·
Registered
56 Posts
but seems like a nice upgrade for $115 if it works as advertised.
:var_47: :eek6:
JEEZ, $115...
Build one yourselves and save about $100..!
If you guys were in Europe, i could send you one of mine for a sixpack of beer and a Big Mac. Well, maybe two Big Macs. I get hungry from beer... ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts