StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally looking for a small FM radio so I could listen to traffic reports during my commute. I came across the Scala Rider FM Bluetooth headset which looked promising because it combined both a built in FM radio for listening to those DC traffic reports the Bluetooth for cell phone connectivity.

Any feedback on quality or problems with the unit would be helpful

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I was originally looking for a small FM radio so I could listen to traffic reports during my commute. I came across the Scala Rider FM Bluetooth headset which looked promising because it combined both a built in FM radio for listening to those DC traffic reports the Bluetooth for cell phone connectivity.

Any feedback on quality or problems with the unit would be helpful
I have two Scala Riders (plain bluetooth, no FM). Neither has been problem free. The speaker on the first one went south. No big deal for me since I repair electronic equipment for a living. I replaced the bad speaker with another. The other unit's switches are hard to push and don't give you any tactile feedback.

Those are the downsides. The upside is that they make it easy to use the phone without taking your paws off the grips. You can answer a call just by yelping/barking/bellowing/roaring into the microphone and when you're done, it'll hang up when the caller disconnects. To make a call, tap the button and you get access to your phone's voice dialing features.

The noise rejection works well so your callers can't tell you're rolling at 70mph and the speaker volume automatically adjusts to ambient noise level.

The Scala Rider also pairs to the Zumo gps and your phone's phonebook downloads to the Zumo. When calls come in, you can tap on the screen to answer or ignore, and if the number is in your phonebook, the caller's name is displayed. If you're navigating a route, voice prompts from the Zumo get sent to the headset.

Battery life is excellent. I can easily go a couple of weeks without recharging. FM or continuous audio would have lesser stand-by time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went ahead and ordered the Scala Rider FM. Installed it last night took about 3 minutes. It has a clamp that uses a pinch fit in the helmet shell so you not dealing with sticky tape or Elmer’s glue. The actual Bluetooth module clips to the bracket and can be removed in seconds so you don’t have to hook your entire helmet to the charger. Rode in this morning and first impressions where OK. The buttons are hard to manipulate with winter riding gloves (hopefully better with summer gloves). The automatic volume control on the radio worked well but it was a bit quiet at highway speeds (I guess I finally have a reason to order the Madstad bracket). The radio worked well but the automatic tuner only stopped at the strongest signals so I wasn’t able to listen to my normal traffic reports (which I haven’t heard since I started commuting on the bike a year and a half ago). Once downtown I was able to tune in my station, hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up the whole way home. Haven’t used the headset to talk on the phone yet but I’m curious if people can actually hear you while rolling down the road. I’ll report on that later.

If anyone’s interested the best price I found that didn’t involve eBAY and a Hong Kong seller was $161.95 and free S+H from http://www.motoemporium.com/scalarider/scalarider.html

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The automatic volume control on the radio worked well but it was a bit quiet at highway speeds (I guess I finally have a reason to order the Madstad bracket).

Haven’t used the headset to talk on the phone yet but I’m curious if people can actually hear you while rolling down the road. I’ll report on that later.
You can bias the automatic volume control up or down using the up/down buttons. After you do that, it stays set. I have to click it up 4 or 5 increments. I'm not using the original Cardo speaker.

The people I have to stay in touch with all tell me that audio quality is excellent, with no background noise.

BTW, I'm still annoyed at Moto Emporium for moving out of New England. They used to be in Plaistow, NH. ;-)

·
0 Posts
Woo hoo, sounds like the Scala Rider is for me! Just have to decide if I want the FM transmitter too, probably huh? Does the FM version allow you to scroll through stations while riding, so you can pick up stations along your journey? In Southern california, radio stations can be lost quickly with the hills, so being able to pick up new stations easily is a bonus.

I looked into chatterbox's offerings, but 400 bucks for their bluetooth unit is ridiculous! Granted you can talk to other riders in a group, but no one I know has a chatterbox.

Look forward to hearing more about this product as I was just introduced to it on monday.

Update - Nevermind, i'm just going to buy one. I found an online store that sells them for $148 shipped, so done deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts