StromTrooper banner

Anyone Tried the "WELD86" Skid Plate for the DL650?

15K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  GFHVstrom 
#1 ·
I am looking for some input if anyone has one! Thanks, Bucky

#3 · (Edited)
I just replaced my SW Motech with it. Definitely the best looking one out there. Build quality is top notch. Very heavy duty. Makes my SWM look and feel like total garbage. I am glad I purchased it. If you go under photographs, and Wee Strom picture thread at the top, page 256, it will show pictures of it on the bike.

#4 ·
Nightstrom........how hard is it to change the oil with Weld's skidplate?? Does it make a mess?? I like the looks of it but am concerned about using the engine block as a mounting point and hitting a huge rock/curb with the plate?? I assume (just by looking at the pics) there is a mounting bolt running thru the open hole in the engine block?? The price is definately "right"!!! :thumbup:

#5 ·
One mounting point is a large bolt running through the open mount. The welds on this, size of the bolt, etc, should help absorb some of the shock. I truly think it would be nearly impossible to do any type of damage. I believe the bolt would give before damage to the engine, and I dont see the bolt giving either. I havent had to change the oil yet, but it looks easy. On the right side, you should be able to just reach through to undo the filter. There is a hole for the drain plug too. I dont think you have to remove it to do any oil change.

#6 ·
I went to the shop to get a Weld plate. Very nice quality and construction. He even mounted it for me. Yes it does used the hole in the motor and the exhaust mount bolt. Shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing some totally insane riding.
Extremely light compared to some of the other bash plates out there.
I like it! Haven't done an oil change with it on yet but I don't fret over the small stuff. If it's a bit messy, I clean it up. No sweat.

#9 ·
"I was concerned with weight on some of the other skidplates."

I had one of those serious plates. It was beautifully made and extremely stout...and very heavy. I felt it was like a huge pendulum in the tight twisties. Bike felt like it was fighting me the whole time changing directions.
I wanted rock and debris protection, not making my bike like a Sherman tank.
I traded it for a top box and cash to a feller that has plans for an Alaskan trip.

#15 ·
"I felt it was like a huge pendulum in the tight twisties. Bike felt like it was fighting me the whole time changing directions.
I'll eat my shorts if you can prove that you could actually feel the weight of this skid plate in the handling of your bike. It would have to weigh like 200 lbs to be noticeable. I've carried two 1.5 gallon gas cans strapped low to my skid plate and couldn't tell a difference in handling. I think you had some other issue going on.......

#11 ·
Soon

Just ordered one. I never go seriously off road just dirt and gravel forestry and oil lease stuff. mainly conceerned with keeping oil filter undamaged. Thinking seriously about a Cox racing radiator guard though.:yesnod:

#13 ·
When I got mine at the shop I whipped out the plastic and he says..."aaah, I don't do plastic at the shop." I asked for directions to the nearest ATM and he let me leave to go get the folding money. Extremely pleasant to deal with. I saw some of his other work. Like little jewels! Mounting brackets for steering dampers.

#14 ·
Sitting here at night reading this after consuming a very nice bottle of wine.:thumbup: Few things i`de like to comment on.

First of all, unless the skid plate weighs like 100 lbs or more, how the heck will you sense any difference in something mounted 6 inches off the ground? And going offroad with the wee strom? Methinks thats the wrong bike for it.:biggrinjester:

I could not find the photos on this skidplate mentioned in this tread.. I`de love to get one for my bike but it would cost stupid money here in Norway and quite frankly i got so many farkles i`m going to get before that.

Tai

#16 ·
I just mounted the basic, steel Enduro Guardian skid plate on my Wee. It weighs in at 14 pounds. I recently lost 15 pounds of body fat so I figure it's a wash. Actually, it's an improvement because I've shifted the weight lower on the bike. Lower center of gravity is always good!

I haven't noticed any handling difference in the twisties, BTW.

#17 ·
The Pendulum effect was just that. I've carried the same camping load for many long time and I'm used to it. I added a heavy bash plate and diving in and out of the curves going into Sequoia NP it just felt like I was swinging a bowling ball. It wanted to keep going one was when I was trying to swing the other way.
Maybe I'm way wrong and you is way right but the Alunimum Weld Plate is just right for the needs I have.
Perhaps It's too elegant and sophisticated for the real rock eaters here.:green_lol:

#20 ·
I bought a Weld86 plate a few months ago. It is very sturdy and well made, I notice it does reflect some motor noise back up at me - no big deal I'm riding a motorbike not sitting in the back seat of a Lexus. It doesn't stop mud and rubbish flicking up into the oil cooler like my Hyde Racing product, but I bought a Fenda Extender and oil cooler shield.

#21 ·
What are you protecting with that plate. Not the front of the motor or pipe. No side case protection.Most hit come from the front.
If you stump or log jumping your on the wrong bike.

#24 ·
The Wee2 has no oil cooler, but I can see how that is a potential concern on the gen 1. I will for sure be going with the Weld 86, I just do gravel and hard pack so it will be ideal for that and the protection I want/need.

#25 ·
I've had a Weld86 plate on my '11 Wee for almost two years. Like others mentioned, it is pretty light weight for the level of protection. I've got to believe that it's heavier then some of those sheet metal plates, however.

I took a tall speed bump a little too aggressively and smacked the plate pretty hard. No evident damage anywhere.

It is a nice flat bottom surface to do a bit of jacking, if needed.

I've done several oil changes since I installed it. With the Wee on the center stand, the oil from the sump drain goes precisely through the hole in the plate. I've done one filter change since I had the Weld86 installed. That got a bit messy. I make a hasty attempt to make a tin foil path for the filter oil to travel to the hole. That didn't work out so well. Next filter change I'll do something better, maybe with a cut down plastic jug. Or, just take the plate off, which wouldn't be so bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.