StromTrooper banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
What are you protecting with that plate. Not the front of the motor or pipe. No side case protection.Most hit come from the front.
If you stump or log jumping your on the wrong bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought the Weld86 Skidplate and installed with no problems. Great guy to deal with and the instructions were easy to follow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you guys also adding a better oil cooler protection screen with the WELD86 plate? That was one of the reasons I went with a taller skid

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Are you guys also adding a better oil cooler protection screen with the WELD86 plate? That was one of the reasons I went with a taller skid
The Wee2 has no oil cooler, but I can see how that is a potential concern on the gen 1. I will for sure be going with the Weld 86, I just do gravel and hard pack so it will be ideal for that and the protection I want/need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had a Weld86 plate on my '11 Wee for almost two years. Like others mentioned, it is pretty light weight for the level of protection. I've got to believe that it's heavier then some of those sheet metal plates, however.

I took a tall speed bump a little too aggressively and smacked the plate pretty hard. No evident damage anywhere.

It is a nice flat bottom surface to do a bit of jacking, if needed.

I've done several oil changes since I installed it. With the Wee on the center stand, the oil from the sump drain goes precisely through the hole in the plate. I've done one filter change since I had the Weld86 installed. That got a bit messy. I make a hasty attempt to make a tin foil path for the filter oil to travel to the hole. That didn't work out so well. Next filter change I'll do something better, maybe with a cut down plastic jug. Or, just take the plate off, which wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Weld86 suits me too although I might prefer the squared off section of the front to be angled like the rest. It hasn't caused problems yet over various tree trunks & rocks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ordered one yesterday. I wanted some protection AND a flat place to jack up the bike. My forks are lowered in the front and they are contacting the handlebars. I want to push the forks back down about a 1/2", but I have no centerstand.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Still like mine, owner stands by their product as well. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have one and like it. I have lifted the bike with it on. For oil change I remove it and clean things up and look around. It is two bolts to remove so why not? You definitely do not have to remove it though. A K&N filter with nut makes it easier to do the OC without removing it. I would suggest giving the bolt through the engine some kind of anti-corrosion and the muffler bolt some blue thread locker. kfh000

21 - 31 of 31 Posts