StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through some tires, and I had pretty much figured Dunlop Trailmax TR91 or Heidenau K76 were the right tire for me, but, like everything else, there's always a newer pretty tire around the corner. I wanted to see if anyone has run with the Avon TrailRider?
Avon TrailRider AV54 Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore
It looks like it might suit what I want. I am looking for a decent winter tire, I ride mostly two-lane country roads with a stretch of gravel here and there, as well as ten miles of interstate. I ride in all weather, so I've got an affection for deep grooves and lugs for the wet and dirty stuff.
Anyone have experience with the new Avons?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It was introduced in September. Too new for reports, and we don't hear much about Avon anyway. If you get them, pls give us reports as you ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might just do that. I think I'll spend a few weeks looking at options, then getting something new. I run up about 2,000 miles a month so, I should have a report soon after installing tires.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Avon is not a real popular tire choice for the big ADV bikes, I cannot speak of their other line of tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just put a set on my 07 DL650 and sad to report that immediately after the tire change I have a wobble in the handlebars between 20-50mph, with the worst at 40mph. Most noticeable on the deceleration in gear. I returned to the tire installer and we checked balance, and installation. While we had the front wheel in the air we checked steering bearing for notches and looseness. Everything checked out fine.

I like the tires look and road manners, but this wobble is a real bummer. I was running Metzler Karoo 3 tires and had it was solid. I was able to coast hands free and steer with body input.

So far I've checked:
Balance
Bead uniformity
Rim is straight
head bearings
alignment front and rear
different tire pressures (34, 36, and 39psi)
Still need to check rear axle torque -

I might have to return the front and try another. I really like them other than that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the plunge and put on a rear Avon Trailrider over the weekend. We were blessed with rain on Monday, and so far have done pavement only for about 350 miles with temps from 30F to about 60F. The tire seems really sticky in the right way. I"m leaning like usual, which is less in the winter than summer, but things ride nice so far. I've still got lots of mile left on the K76 front, so I've got mixed tread for a while, but they agree on terrain.
I'll hit some gravel in the next few days, but on my long and loose gravel driveway, it seems fine.
Installation went very well, partly because I'm getting better at it.
I'm giving it a positive initial report for all-weather, 90 street /10 dirt type riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update on mine.

I got Rocky Mountain to send me a free replacement tire on warranty. Had it installed by the same guy who installed the tires for me, but this time I took the wheel off the bike.

I torqued everything to spec and also torqued the rear axle and checked to make sure it was straight.

Test ride today and I have no more wobble.

I think I'm going to like these tires. They feel great on pavement, and should do fine on dirt roads.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I used to ride a Honda ST1300 and many on that forum had used the Avon Storms and there were many complaints about similar problems. FWIW

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good so far - updated ride

As stated, I put on the Avon Trailrider rear tire. I've logged on about 4,300 miles so far. Weather has been from low teens (F) to low seventies (F). I cover mostly pavement, with a mix of gravel, and a muddy long driveway. In winter they sand and salt the roads pretty heavily, so I'll include sandy pavement. I also got the chance to ride in some heavy rain including flooding, and tornado warning / T-storms.

The tire has done very well, it sticks very well. I am always easy on a tire below freezing, first because black ice, and second, because the rubber is not warmed up to be sticky. Nevertheless, I always felt that the tires did their job. I did have a loss of traction, but that was cornering into a side lot with a few inches of very light snow and hard frozen ground - not going to hold that against a tire.

Tire wear has been admirable. I usually get 12-14,000 miles from a rear tire. This looks to be on par. Winter riding usually means I leave wider chicken strips, and this year is no exception, but, on good days, I have leaned with full confidence and excellent performance by the tire. I have not noticed any road noise or vibration - and usually those come from the front tire in my experience. My front tire is a Heidenau K76 - which is wearing like iron right now.

I do notice a very distinct variation between the tire's center strip (made of harder, longer-wearing rubber) and the shoulders (made of softer, grippy rubber). This isn't a problem that I feel on the bike, but it is something you notice right away looking at the tire. Time will tell how the wear goes.

The highest compliment I can give right now, is that I'd buy these again. Which, with the tires available is pretty high marks.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very much appreciate you taking the time to come back after putting on some miles and update us. That means so much more than "just got em mounted and they look good".
I was surprised that this tire is priced at a few dollars more than the Heidenau K76 and not allot less than the K60 - i always thought those tires were priced in a league of their own.

Reactions: Vhawg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I see them listed on RevZilla as costing a good bit more than the K76. When it comes to tires, I am always trying to save money, but never go cheap - if that makes sense. Too much is riding on my tires.

I should add that I static balanced the tire and used 1.25 oz to balance it. Usually I need about 1 oz to balance the rim. So, manufacturing seems pretty good. My runner-up tire choice would be Dunlop Trailmax TR91, but for now, the Avon has my attention and trust. I might mount a front when it's time.

Oh, and the tread design does an admirable job of cleaning itself. It seems to clear the yuck that would have packed the grooves on other tires. So, good marks there too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
$300+ a set - no thanks. I'll stick with Shinko 705's.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's that time again for me to pick a tire. I have gotten about 10,000 miles on my current Avon Trailrider rear. I am looking to replace the front Heidenau K76 with over 20,000 miles on it. I think I've got another 1,000 on the rear - which represents middle to lower than average mileage for me on a tire. Nevertheless, the tire is very good, so I might put one on the front. There's still tread depth on the K76, but, there's a good amount of cupping that one feels at low speeds and I have that nagging doubt that all the rubber is on the road as there could be. So, it's a good time to replace it for peace of mind. Apparently it's going to rain a lot this year ;)

In all, I give the Trailrider very good marks. It did very well over winter. We'll see if the hot weather wears it out faster.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I just installed a set of these a few days ago, and so far they seem very, very nice.

Anyhoo, the best price I found was at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. (AKA Jake Wilson -- same company). The total shipped was $261, which is well below most of the other premium rubber.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A set are in the mail to me from Rocky. Film at 11 :grin2:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Update

Installed the TrailRiders today. They are -- black, round and look nice. I've only ridden a couple of miles to check things out and distribute the Rideon. Note to self - next time pump the brakes up before going on the test ride!
Install went pretty well. I used a Motion Pro Bead Popper :thumbup: worked like a champ and some Stubby tire irons that someone on here recommended. :thumbup: They also worked well. No scratches except for a couple on my crooked rim tape.
More later

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Still early days (about 800 miles, I think), but I'm really liking my set of Trailriders.

I haven't had the chance for any real knee-down torture testing yet, but so far I'm very impressed. Made in England, which makes me feel warm and fuzzy. No balance marks -- they're balanced at the factory, as is usual for Avon.

I've done a bit of commuting in the rain, and they seem to stick perfectly fine. Nothing scary at intersections, no breaking loose even if I romp on the throttle deliberately.

I've done a bit of gravel (nothing very loose or wet), and they seem to work pretty well. Probably on par with the Shinko 705 or thereabouts. The old Avon Distanzia was pretty darn good off-pavement, and I believe these continue the tradition.

Highways are fine. I don't know or care whether they're noisy or not. In the few twisties I've been able to hit, they exhibit Avon's typical excellent handling manners with a noticeably lighter feel than most others. Still quite neutral and stable.

Some have reported being able to see the boundaries of the various tread compounds used in the rear. Haven't seen that yet.

If these things last anywhere near as long as they're supposed to, I'm a believer.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts