StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to see pics of a fork gaiter, such as one from a Triumph Scrambler?

Why? Well my fork seal just started weeping and it's only 9 months old. A fellow inmate rec a Seal Mate cleaning tool (4.95) by Motion Pro. I ordered one. That got me thinking ... would a fork gaiter save the fork seals? Would they look okay.

Any tips on where to get 'em or how to install them would be handy.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have Rancho RS1952 boots on mine. I've never had to replace a fork seal on a bike with gaiters and I've had over 300,000 miles on bikes, mostly with them stock or added. If you have a fork brace, cut off the bottoms at the second pleat and the boot will sit nicely on the brace. Take off the forks and slide them on using a cable tie at the top.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
The guy that makes the HippoHands also makes fork gaiters. I bought a pair for my Strom. So far, so good through all of last year and now this year. The bonus of these are that they are easily removed/installed without any bike disassembly. Wrap it around and seal the velcro. No pics, sorry.

·
38,103 Posts
Did you buy these boots as an accessory at a cycle shop or did you have to order them special?
I had a local auto parts store order them. They are meant for shock boots on dune buggies.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Here is another way to do it
The bat ears are just cut from a mud flap and rivited on the back side of the fender. You have to take the wheel off to do the riveting.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Rancho RS1952 boots on mine. I've never had to replace a fork seal on a bike with gaiters and I've had over 300,000 miles on bikes, mostly with them stock or added. If you have a fork brace, cut off the bottoms at the second pleat and the boot will sit nicely on the brace. Take off the forks and slide them on using a cable tie at the top.

Greywolf,

That looks great and I just ordered a set this am from Napa. I'll have my fork tubes off to do steering head bearing very soon and will do that at same time. I am hopeful that the Bearing Mate tool I ordered (4.95 Pro Motion) will scrape the crevice clean. I'll open fork top to even out fluid. Then the gaiter should keep em clean thereafter.

On bikes without fork boots I've had much weeping from fork seals. It's amazing to hear your success. Thanks a million.

Kevin

·
Registered
672 Posts
of the 7 bikes that I have had over the years the only ones that the seals stayed intake were the bikes with gaiters on them. My Wee I have only had for 9 months but plan on putting them on it.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking forward to installing my Rancho RS1952 (shock) boots on my forks.

I've owned 9 bikes since 1981 (2 Motocross, 3 dual sport, 3 naked standards, and one sport tourer). None of the four bikes that had fork gaiters (2 MX, 2 of 3 dual sports) ever leaked at the fork seals. So the protection from a fork boot is obviously a real factor, but not the only factor.

Bikes that are not wheelied, not pounded off road, or subjected to too much dirt may also not leak as the standard dust seal is sufficient for "normal use." However, it does seem that the bikes without fork gaiters that I also wheelied the most or pounded off road hard have tended to weap at the fork seals in my experience. For example my 1982 FT500 Ascot liked to wheelie over any bump in the road, my 1993 Suzuki VX800 was a first gear wheelie monster with big torque, and my 2007 Wee gets a real pounding off road by me trying hard to keep up with lighter dual sports in sometimes rocky eastern conditions; and all three of these bikes (w/out gaiters) have had weepy fork seals. My 2004 VFR800 was wheelied every ride, usually a few times in discrete locations and yes I am a fool, and the exposed fork seals never weaped though this bike was never exposed to dirt.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I use guards that clamp on right at the seal.. it still didn't prevent the right one from leaking, I think the TLH ride last year was too hard on that one

·
38,103 Posts
See the marks on the fork tubes above. Under the boot is pretty much pristine.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I use guards that clamp on right at the seal.. it still didn't prevent the right one from leaking, I think the TLH ride last year was too hard on that one
I have that same front fender ... Acerbis supermoto in black. I had to clip off several inches where it touches my aluminum SW Motech radiator guard as it got dented (try pruning shears).

Also, those fork guards only appear to protect the front and mud, dirt, and dust has a way of getting everywhere. My hope if that the cheap Pro Motion Bearing Mate cleaning tool (4.95 on e-bay) + the Rancho RS1952 boots (under $5 each) will save me from further leaks.

·
38,103 Posts
Sicne I am goingt o re taking my firks out I was thinking of this as well.

Found these as well
DL650 - Fork Boots

Listed for the dl650 on vstroma. trying to decide which to get now doh.
I tried dirt bike boots like that but a 13" stroke means the boots are much too long. They will bind up well before the forks reach full compression unless the bottoms are cut off to rest on a fork brace. As I have mentioned before, even the Ranchos do not allow a full stroke.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Sicne I am goingt o re taking my firks out I was thinking of this as well.
Found these as well
DL650 - Fork Boots

Hey..........."ribbed" and "colored".........I like those........or, should I say, she will too??!! One size fits all............ :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I tried dirt bike boots like that but a 13" stroke means the boots are much too long. They will bind up well before the forks reach full compression unless the bottoms are cut off to rest on a fork brace. As I have mentioned before, even the Ranchos do not allow a full stroke.
Ok so better question, how much do you lose on suspension travel. I am headed to Labrador highway this summer and woud rather not lose a fork seal.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Hey..........."ribbed" and "colored".........I like those........or, should I say, she will too??!! One size fits all............ :biggrinjester:
There is an extra large set for the black bikes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts