StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has tackled, updating the suspension yet? I find my fronts aren't too great since day 1 for weight and gear, possibly thinking of putting stronger springs in.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
No, I've found the suspension to be pretty remarkable for a bike in this price range. I've got Ohlins on my K bike which rides slightly smoother, but it's also 300 pounds heavier so it's going to ride a bit smoother anyway. You are feeling like the bike is under sprung on the front? What are the symptoms you are trying to fix?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find the front rough, I don't know how to diagnose the issue. Other than it feels like it isn't handling the weight correctly. And since it seems most bikes are set for riders in the 160 to 180 lb range, I figure, this is no different.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Try raising the fork legs in the triple clamp 10-15mm. It's not as good as custom suspension but it solved a lot of problems I had and only costs a little time. And I agree with the previous posts, first off the shelf bike I've owned with adequate suspension. I also agree it could be better but for a bike I don't intend to take off road it just doesn't seem to be worth spending the time and money.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
No, Gen 2 and up forks are well set up from the factory and quite decent quality. IF you knew what you were doing you could pull them apart and change the springs and shims and do whatever you wanted.

Not as good as the multi-chamber forks on say KTM's but the owners bitch about them as well and don't seem to have had much luck getting them better either.

·
Registered
1050xt Adventure
123 Posts
Any time you talk about suspension, it is always a good idea to add some critical information.
Weight - yours, also do you usually ride fully loaded
Riding style
Feel like on throttle
Feel like off throttle

Makes understanding where your coming from easier.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
230lbs
60% of time loaded for trips
Style... Aggressive when in mountains. Lazy straight hwy in prairies.
Enjoy the offroading, but I find the front doesn't inspire confidence. Also I can swear the front forks are affecting the turns, not in a good way. Like, one side isn't the same as the other(stiffer one side). And I'm not sure I'm bottoming out but it kind of feels like it.

Anyways, gotta do the fjr, and wee, figure why not the new one, since both the other bikes are set for 160-180lbs stock.

·
Registered
688 Posts
230lbs
60% of time loaded for trips
Style... Aggressive when in mountains. Lazy straight hwy in prairies.
Enjoy the offroading, but I find the front doesn't inspire confidence. Also I can swear the front forks are affecting the turns, not in a good way. Like, one side isn't the same as the other(stiffer one side). And I'm not sure I'm bottoming out but it kind of feels like it.

Anyways, gotta do the fjr, and wee, figure why not the new one, since both the other bikes are set for 160-180lbs stock.
To check for bottoming, put a zip tie around fork leg tight enough to not shake down. Will show how much you have used. I prefer less rebound so the fork recovers quickly after a bump and rides higher in the stroke after successive bumps At 230lbs you will be above the target wt. so a respring may be in your future.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
To check for bottoming, put a zip tie around fork leg tight enough to not shake down. Will show how much you have used. I prefer less rebound so the fork recovers quickly after a bump and rides higher in the stroke after successive bumps At 230lbs you will be above the target wt. so a respring may be in your future.
Yeah, this is good advice. On my old KLR, back in the day, the suspension was truly rubbish. It was exactly as you mention, not confidence-inspiring and felt like it was always about to wash out in the turns on dirt/gravel. The solution was the installation of RaceTech Gold emulators. The key to why these made such a huge difference was because they allowed the forks to rebound much faster, keeping the tire on the ground more. This is because to install them you had to drill out the flow passages to at least twice their original diameter, which probably means there are 3 or 4 times the flow.

All that to say if you back off the rebound damping, and probably soften the compression, you will be happier with the suspension on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts