StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
TERRIBLE IDEA!

There's already problems with cagers being distracted, now you wanna distract yourself by answering the phone, text, and/or tweet? Nothing is that vital that it can't wait for me to pull over at the next stop. Just my opinion on it though.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
I like it. I always seem to get calls just after I've gloved up and I then have to remove my gloves to answer the phone. The other option is to get some conductive finger tips for the gloves. They are OK when stopped but I'm not sure about using them when moving.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I like it but my Uclear headset allows me to say "hello" or "answer" and it picks up the phone when I have an incoming call. For everything else I would just wait until I found a safe place to pull over at. But I love technology and think this thing is pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
What a horrible idea.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a BAD Idea ,there is enuf problems with distraction of car etc using these devices ,just turn the phone OFF wile riding and enjoy the ride ,when you get where you are going and off the bike then turn it on and check ,tex , talk ,what ever !

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Unless I was a world renowned heart surgeon on call, I wouldn't answer a telephone call while I was riding, except to say "call me later, I'm riding" and then hang up. I don't want to be occupying the same roads as riders who are on the phone being screamed at by their bosses/significant others/lovers with paternity test results/etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I have my Tomtom rider syncd to my phone and my sena headset. It has the ability to make/answer phone calls all thru the touch screen
I can do all that with my Sena and iphone using siri and voice commands. Rare that I ever answer the phone while riding, but being able to make a call or answer hands free is kind of nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting to see all the vehement negatives on this.

I was thinking that it would make moving around my gps etc when stopped much easier with gloves... or skipping songs...

I don't take calls etc. when I ride... been cut off by enough cagers on their phones to realize riding is no place for more distraction. That being said, it would be a simple way to skip a song etc.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
I only take calls from my wife and pull over with the Sena but folks cannot even tell I am on a motorcycle it is so clear. It might be clearer than my car with the helmet headset.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
I find a lot of over active imaginations at work here.
The same sort of resistance to comms in general by people that have never used them.

Long boring trips go quicker if I can chat with daughter by phone during the boring sections and there is no difference between that and chatting with another rider.

You are pilot in command and use your judgement - be it nav, music, comm or phone.
Being able to touch a button and phone the office or receive a phone call is invaluable at times and it's my judgement developed over 50 years of accident free riding that dictates when it is safe to do so.
The software then switches back to nav and Audible and if I have Voice Nav on they all work together - Nav info overrides the music or Audible book then resumes.
Chatting back and forth on comms increases safety, makes rides more interesting over waving hands, over taking, flashing lights and pointing etc.
Most of what the OP device can achieve can be done by voice

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Chatting back and forth on comms increases safety, makes rides more interesting over waving hands, over taking, flashing lights and pointing etc.
My wife and I find the intercom to be both interesting and a vital safety device. Just yesterday I warned her about two deer coming out of he woods on our left. I lead 99% of the time but she helps me out with warnings too. It's like riding with 4 eyes and 2 brains. Great for coordinating passing and navigation too. And I get prompt turn signal cancellation reminders.

But I unpaired my phone after a while. Phone calls can wait. Voice mail handles them. The phone just seemed strangely more distracting on a bike than in a car. And much more distracting than the intercom too. Not sure why? Maybe because the intercom is mostly about what's going on around me?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
There's no overactive imagination on my part. The NHTSA has been studying accidents and compiling data about distracted driving crashes (which include cell phone use) for 20 years. There's lots of information there and elsewhere on line that documents their findings.

You're right; it's your call whether you do it or not (unless you're in a state that prohibits it). I feel there's an unacceptably increased risk from having a phone conversation while I'm riding (or driving, for that matter), and the available information complied over 20 plus years of study tends to confirm that.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
And the bottom line of the statistics is that vehicular cell phone use has skyrocketed and accidents and deaths are declining.
Driving is just about like walking ...it's mostly autonomous without thinking about it.

Chatting fits into that and often serves to keep the driver more alert than drifting off due to highway hypnosis.

The big exception is doing anything that requires your hands ....tuning a radio, hand dialing a number, picking up something that has fallen....very difficult to accomplish and stay safe.

Everyone here has had miles go by and not recalled them at all .....it's young drivers and riders have problems they have to "think" about what they are doing.
For experienced drivers it's regulated to the back burner except in tricky situations where you do concentrate.

Pilots multitask big time and it appears overwhelming to the inexperienced observer. They are in command...that guy that landed in the Hudson had seconds to make life deciding decisions for himself and his passengers. It was both training and a lifetime of flying including the pure flying that is sailplanes that kicked in.
I'd say motorcycle riders take those occasional dramatic decisions in stride due to the nature of the activity. You just "ride" - you don't think about it.
It appears insanely risky to the outsider not to the experienced rider.
It's all about judgement and if you haven't used the tech....you have no basis to judge those of us that do....safely.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I didn't judge you; I said I found it to be an unacceptable risk so I don't do it. You can do whatever you want. As for using the tech, I have a comm unit in my helmet. I find that taking and making phone calls is a distraction, so I don't use it for that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use a SENA. It seems to make this idea redundant.

I enjoy being able to talk on the bike. I rarely make calls, but often answer them. My daughter often calls in the morning while my wife and I are commuting on the bike. I press, answer the call. Another press, conference call. She generally can tell the difference between when we are in the car or in the bike, as the bike is quieter.

When I ride alone, I always play music through it. It is not distracting. I enjoy my ride more, and am more focussed.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Long boring trips go quicker if I can chat with daughter by phone during the boring sections and there is no difference between that and chatting with another rider.
I couldn't agree with you more. Pretty much everything you said I agree with. Especially when on a road trip for roads like route 70 that never end!!

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
GF and I did a double take on our Western US cage trip .....940 km before the next turn...:surprise:
I pointed to the iPhone running TomTom and asked her to interpret that number - took her a minute too.

I'm actually trying out a Mini-iPad for fun on a RAM mount for easier Nav tho I lose the phone.
Most of the Nav apps don't take advantage of extra screen pixels....yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts