StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at ordering a russell seat for my new to me wee strom. I have a 2007 with the 375 watt alternator I believe. The bike has suzuki heated grips on it now and a powerlet connector that may get used for my iphone. Will i have enough juice to run the heated seat? Anyone doing this now? I am not forseeing the addition of any other electronic except maybe a gps later or some driving lights. Am I asking too much of this bike for charging?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am looking at ordering a russell seat for my new to me wee strom. I have a 2007 with the 375 watt alternator I believe. The bike has suzuki heated grips on it now and a powerlet connector that may get used for my iphone. Will i have enough juice to run the heated seat? Anyone doing this now? I am not forseeing the addition of any other electronic except maybe a gps later or some driving lights. Am I asking too much of this bike for charging?
How much does the Russell seat draw ? It is my understanding with the 375 unit you have about 125w overhead to draw from.

I have a complete Gerbring set, heated jacket liner, pants liner, gloves, and socks and if I need the complete set I would need to unhook one headlight and this with an 09 Wee.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
let me google that for you...

Russel Cycle Products, Inc. is proud to announce our new Seat Heating System. Each seat unit is equipped with a thermal switch that keeps the seat at a comfortable 100-105 degrees. The On/Off switch is installed on the seat for driver and passenger, with a dual application. The heater connects easily to the battery with quick disconnects. For accessories connection, you must see your Dealer. Each unit draws approximately 1.5 amps. This is not a constant draw as when the heater reaches it's temperature, the thermoswitch turns on and off. You will love this new addition if you are a cold weather rider and love the comfort of a warm seat!

Prices: Solo $170.00, Dual: $290.00 (Costs are in addition to seat prices)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1.5 amperes x 13.2 volts = 19.8 Watts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it seems like it doesnt draw alot. How much does a set of suzuki heated handgrips draw? It looks like I should be fine running a set of heated grips and seat then, right? I can probabaly hook up the ipod too. If I were to ever get a heated vest as well, what do those typically draw?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A jacket liner will typically draw between 65 and 100W, depending on the brand. A K7 Wee only has about 100-125W overhead available. A voltmeter, single headlight cutout switch and variable controllers help me balance heat and draw. My 90W jacket liner, 37W grips 18W socks and 24W gloves can't be run at full power. Those are the important areas to keep warm. My butt has never gotten cold and I would consider heat there to be wasting energy where it is not needed so much.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I run heated grips, heated Sargent seat, navi, and lights simultaneously and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My butt has never gotten cold and I would consider heat there to be wasting energy where it is not needed so much.
I had bun warmers in the last cage I owned and scoffed at the idea. When winter came, I never shut them off. Just sayin'! :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I can see a heated seat and grips on a cool morning as a nice addition. If you ride in the cold though and have limited power available, it needs to be channeled into the torso and extremities. The car has plenty of electrical power and no wind chill factor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see a heated seat and grips on a cool morning as a nice addition. If you ride in the cold though and have limited power available, it needs to be channeled into the torso and extremities. The car has plenty of electrical power and no wind chill factor.
Well, you should note that I live in California.......the coldest my riding gets is in the 30's and that rare. Our idea of a cold morning is in the 40's and thats like summertime for you right............? LOL :green_lol:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so has anyone added the heater element from rusell on their seat? I am now wondeirn ghow good it actually is. I had a mayer seat on my 1100RT with the heater element and it was barely noticeable, nothing like my BMW factory heated seats on my 1200RT or LT.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just ordered my russell day long saddle. I got all vinyl with the heavyweight spring and heated elements for the driver. I should get my official build date soon but I called and they were booking for the 3rd week in june. I have always liked the heated seat and it doesnt seem todraw much in the way of power.

·
Registered
875 Posts
FYI I've had factory heated seats on my BMW and consider them a cool novelty but not a big contributer to actually staying warm when riding in the winter. Heated grips and a heated jacket liner are much more effective. Mind you I live in California and it doesn't drop below freezing where I live at the very coldest.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI I've had factory heated seats on my BMW and consider them a cool novelty but not a big contributer to actually staying warm when riding in the winter. Heated grips and a heated jacket liner are much more effective. Mind you I live in California and it doesn't drop below freezing where I live at the very coldest.
Thanks. I live in California as well. I too have had BMW's (over 10 of them, and 5 with heated seats). I do not consider it a novelty. Its just enought to take the edge off on a chilly foothill ride or a colder day on the coast. My only concern has been if the Russell day long seat gives a similar amount of heat to the OEM BMW. From the BMW site I am on, the Russell is very comprable.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just installed my Russel Day Long this spring and one of the first things i noticed,other than a huge increase in comfort,was that the seat seems to feel warmer than the stock seat. Maybe it feels warmer because it covers more of your rear end.I just hope it isn't to warm when the weather heats up or i will have to get out the trusty old sheepskin again.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks. I live in California as well. I too have had BMW's (over 10 of them, and 5 with heated seats). I do not consider it a novelty. Its just enought to take the edge off on a chilly foothill ride or a colder day on the coast. My only concern has been if the Russell day long seat gives a similar amount of heat to the OEM BMW. From the BMW site I am on, the Russell is very comprable.
It sounds like a great seat you ordered. If I were you I would have spec'd it just like you did. I didn't use my heated seat much mostly because I live in a hot zone, but when I did use it it was nice even if it wasn't necessary. Hey it's only money, and still MUCH less than the BMW :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds like a great seat you ordered. If I were you I would have spec'd it just like you did. I didn't use my heated seat much mostly because I live in a hot zone, but when I did use it it was nice even if it wasn't necessary.
Riding the sierra in the evening or late fall/ early spring it can get chilly. Not enought to warrant a heated jacket. Just enough that the heated seat at grips take the chill off. I wouldnt say I used my heated seats alot but enough that I enjoyed them being there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just installed my Russel Day Long this spring and one of the first things i noticed,other than a huge increase in comfort,was that the seat seems to feel warmer than the stock seat. Maybe it feels warmer because it covers more of your rear end.I just hope it isn't to warm when the weather heats up or i will have to get out the trusty old sheepskin again.
Good point about the russell being bigger, you are making me rethink the heated part only because I have been in debate on whether the price for the heater is worh it. I do like heated seats but I may do some dirt with the strom and been wondering how well that would hold up. Choices.........

·
Registered
313 Posts
When i was figuring out what i wanted with the Russell i considered getting it heated but after thinking about it i can't ever remember my butt getting that cold.(although my memory isn't what it used to be:confused:)
I did opt for the back rest though(because my back also isn't as good as it once was:thumbdown:) and i must say it sure is nice for those rides when i haven't got my wife to lean on,which i am happy to say is most of the time:argue:. lol
Trust me no matter what options you get with the new Russell you are going to be VERY happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts