StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends! I'm the proud new owner of a 2014 Glee, whom I have named "Quasimoto". Salvage title, previous owner absolutely rode the piss out of it offroad and, as bits started to break, he removed them. I got it for a grand with 43k miles, Elka stage 3 shock, gold valves, and a host of other goodies which would pay for the cost of entry by themselves. I plan to put a windscreen on it, but other than that, I don't think I'll do anything else plastics-wise. Has anyone run their bike like this? I'm mainly looking for how bad the buffeting will be, as that's been my major gripe with my K3 Vee.

Attachments

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Not to be confused with running a Glee naked.

Reactions: KSM and aTuWitty

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I don't know if the buffeting will be bad at all. Just wind. With no windshield your helmet is up in the slipstream like a lot of bikes.

Reactions: aTuWitty

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm running a 2012 650 naked (after a head-on with a semi).
There's a thread about it here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/346530-strom-back-up.html
I found that I liked it around town or off road as a naked, but there was too much wind (not buffet) to be comfortable above 100kph. I had a MadStad screen on the original fairing which was great, with very little buffet, and it miraculously survived the crash with a couple of scratches so I built some custom brackets to mount it in the same position as before. It is almost exactly the same level of comfort as with the complete fairing, and a lot lighter. There is no wind pressure on my chest or head, and very little buffet. A minor annoyance was that my round headlight reflected off the inside of the lower part of the screen, so I fabricated an "eyebrow" out of a piece of plastic flower pot.
I always liked the performance of the original dual headlights, but I found the single round one with a 95/100watt halogen is nearly as good, and I don't ride much at night.

Reactions: aTuWitty

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running a 2012 650 naked (after a head-on with a semi).
There's a thread about it here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/346530-strom-back-up.html
I found that I liked it around town or off road as a naked, but there was too much wind (not buffet) to be comfortable above 100kph. I had a MadStad screen on the original fairing which was great, with very little buffet, and it miraculously survived the crash with a couple of scratches so I built some custom brackets to mount it in the same position as before. It is almost exactly the same level of comfort as with the complete fairing, and a lot lighter. There is no wind pressure on my chest or head, and very little buffet. A minor annoyance was that my round headlight reflected off the inside of the lower part of the screen, so I fabricated an "eyebrow" out of a piece of plastic flower pot.
I always liked the performance of the original dual headlights, but I found the single round one with a 95/100watt halogen is nearly as good, and I don't ride much at night.
That looks excellent! I think a Madstad will be the way I go as well. Do you find it ok for cold weather riding?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
If you decide to do something with it I do have few front end pieces namely tank covers, headlight faring, dashboard and few windshields to chose from. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
He is from northern NSW Australia there is no cold weather LOL !!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Only ran it once without the windshield, to the car wash and back. Was easier that way to get all those hard to reach places.
Surprising how much of a difference it makes, felt like an entirely different bike, or like I was ridding without a helmet (not that I ever did that ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts