StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I simply do not want to put $500+ in luggage, so I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have read where people have used Givi racks or what ever, then addapted Pelican, JC Whitney cases, or what ever.

Tell us about what you have done.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I'll be putting Mermite cans on a Givi rack here shortly. Givis are probably the cheapest way to go if you're looking at a factory system; you can get them used in the classifieds here from time to time, and on ebay. If you know how to weld you can get some good idea of how racks go together by looking at pictures and other bikes.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
The SW Motech detachable racks have a flat surface towards the luggage. These can easily then be bolted to Pelican Cases, Mermite cans, Ammo Cans, etc.

I bolted on the KLR650.com aluminum panniers, so yes my system was $500 for the aluminum panniers, the powder coating inside and out, the SW Motech mounts. The top case I chose was the $79 JC Whitney large.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love my Mermite cans and fiberglass top case. 100% waterproof, airtight, insulated (Mermite cans), rock solid, and less than $300 for the whole setup including SW motech racks. Only drawback is mine aren't lockable although if I really wanted them to be I could do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually the SW motech racks can be taken off by loosening 4 quarter turn fasteners. The cans are bolted to the racks so either side can come off as one assembly in less than a minute. The top case is bolted on with (4) 3/8-16 bolts that are threaded into the OEM storage rack. No nuts underneath, all I need is to take the bolts out from inside the case with a wrench, also in less than a minute.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love my Mermite cans and fiberglass top case. 100% waterproof, airtight, insulated (Mermite cans), rock solid, and less than $300 for the whole setup including SW motech racks. Only drawback is mine aren't lockable although if I really wanted them to be I could do it.

Where did you get the top case? Will it hold a full face helmet? Any stability problems with your system? Any complaints about the SW Motech racks?

Any chance of more pics? How about a shot inside the mermite cans? Your system has the look of factory built luggage -- seriously nice....

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I have 3 jc whitney Cases, and a givi rack. The whole setup cost $360. Pretty water resistant, throw some fishing line on to reinforce the cables that come with it, rekey the locks so 1 key works, and put a dab of glue on the screws so they don't move. Oh and add reflective tape.

Its pretty good, and works for everyday work. Less than 2 givi side cases of the same size. If I was planning a cross country trip I would take a caribou system.

Eric

·
Registered
800 Posts
I like my cheap panniers

The following was my review of the luggage system I purchased and installed. Used it this spring on a 5 day trip. Held up well, even when I decided to do a quick dismount in a pasture on a hill. (No dents)

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10229

Yes the system is as much as givi, but it is top load and is much lighter then mermite cans.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zed88 I would love to see some pics, that is more what I'm talking about. Does it remove easy or not?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Zed88 I would love to see some pics, that is more what I'm talking about. Does it remove easy or not?
It removes quick and easy. You key the lock, and then push down on the red mounting tab which releases the top latch, and then pull up. Its simple, and takes about a minute a take off all 3 bags, and set them on the shelf. Here are some pics of the setup. (Btw some of the reflective tape is black, that changes to silver, cool huh.)
Here is a video of me taking them off the bike. 3 bags in 40 seconds.

Bags on the bike:

Key latch and push:

Notches on the bottom that slide onto bags:

Bottom of the bags:

Plenty of room in the topcase:

Racks on the bike:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts