StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about how these engines seem to be "bulletproof", I decide to buy a 2004 Vstrom with 45,000 miles, and although it seems to run fine, I'm still skeptical on any bike with these miles. So my question is......has anyone even rebuilt one of these engines yet, or do these things just keep going that nobody has put enough miles on one yet? And does anyone know about a bore kit to increase the power slightly and how the fuel system could handle a slight bore? Hopefully I won't have to rebuild it until 100k but who knows, i like to tinker so i might just throw a top end in just for the heck of it.:jawdrop:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That's nothing. My bike started to feel its best at 50,000 miles. I know people who have 150,000mi and I don't think I've read about anybody simply wearing one out. There were a couple of broken cam chains or other engine problems but those weren't because of wear and they happened earlier on IIRC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nothing. My bike started to feel its best at 50,000 miles. I know people who have 150,000mi and I don't think I've read about anybody simply wearing one out. There were a couple of broken cam chains or other engine problems but those weren't because of wear and they happened earlier on IIRC.
Good to hear, i don't think I'll be too worried about the miles. But i think i better check the valves, i hear a little clatter, but then again i read all the posts of people saying their valves have been in spec for over 45k miles. Maybe it's just the "V" engine i hear, I'm used to inline fours.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
i hear a little clatter,
Do you hear it only on start up? [do you start the bike on the side stand or upright when cold? I start mine upright and there is no clatter, sometimes when cold it will rattle slightly for a couple of seconds].

50,000km [30,000miles] and the bike just keeps running better and faster with more k's on the clock.

Nothing done but oil changes on the engine [no valve clearance check or any other extras done].

So far all I have replaced on the bike since I bought it new in 09 are: tyres, rear brake pads, chain and FRONT sprocket.

The front brake pads are almost due for replacement and the rear sprocket still looks like new and should last until the next front sprocket and chain are due [about another 45,000km from now, the first ones lasted 48,000km].

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
After reading about how these engines seem to be "bulletproof", I decide to buy a 2004 Vstrom with 45,000 miles, and although it seems to run fine, I'm still skeptical on any bike with these miles.
Should not risk it, it's just one bad shift away from grenading. Better, I take it off your hands, for safety's sake, you know. I'm sure, you'll be happy to take 500 Second Life dollars for it.

I've heard wonderful things about San Diego this time of year, being so desperate for a vacation, I wouldn't mind taking the chance of riding your decrepit old wreck all the way back to North Carolina where I can put the old guy out to pasture in his twilight months.

Please contact me ASAP as my ex-girlfriend in TJ is headed this way for the tomato harvest. She wouldn't mind risking her life and limb to help me (push, a likely possibility) your dilapidated wreck to a proper rest home.

(I think she may have modeled for your avatar)

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
It's generally a lot cheaper to plug in in a used motor from a low mileage wrecked bike than to rebuild one.
Easiest power upgrade is SV cams plus an exhaust and PC, plus a good dyno tune to dial it in. Big bore kits are problematic, the crank isn't strong enough.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It's generally a lot cheaper to plug in in a used motor from a low mileage wrecked bike than to rebuild one.
Easiest power upgrade is SV cams plus an exhaust and PC, plus a good dyno tune to dial it in. Big bore kits are problematic, the crank isn't strong enough.
What percentage HP and Torque increase could one expect from doing all this?

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
What percentage HP and Torque increase could one expect from doing all this?
I doubt it would be enough to justify the cost especially when you consider that the bike won't be worth one dollar more when you're done.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I doubt it would be enough to justify the cost especially when you consider that the bike won't be worth one dollar more when you're done.
Since when does anything having to do with motorcycles make economic sense?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do check the valve lash and adjust them as needed. If they're adjusted toward the middle of the range, they probably won't need to be re-adjusted for a very long time.

Blair at svracingparts.com is a SV650 racer and a DL650 rider. He knows which SV cams to put in for more power. I'm not sure a new exhaust adds much except cost and noise, but Blair will know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Should not risk it, it's just one bad shift away from grenading. Better, I take it off your hands, for safety's sake, you know. I'm sure, you'll be happy to take 500 Second Life dollars for it.

I've heard wonderful things about San Diego this time of year, being so desperate for a vacation, I wouldn't mind taking the chance of riding your decrepit old wreck all the way back to North Carolina where I can put the old guy out to pasture in his twilight months.

Please contact me ASAP as my ex-girlfriend in TJ is headed this way for the tomato harvest. She wouldn't mind risking her life and limb to help me (push, a likely possibility) your dilapidated wreck to a proper rest home.

Ummm, I was just in your neck of the woods yesterday, (Thursday,) and I don't know but, the climate over there must be really healthy for the Vstrom species. If you strike a deal and end up with this heap, it just may up and rebuild itself over there if it gets to feeling good enough.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If the OP is serious about rebuilding with a big bore, the crank isn't an issue. The DLs share the same crank as the SVs. It is common to replace the TL cranks with SV cranks when doing a big bore upgrade. And the TL has WAY more horsepower than a DL. If one needed more power, I would do an SV engine transplant.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
We're talking about a 650 here. The crank is an issue with much more power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I guess I better just put this heep up for sale then, before it blows up on me. Maybe I'll just get a Donkey, I'm sure i can get one for cheap in TJ. Maybe one that's been rode hard in the donkey show.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Pick up a crashed Gladius with a sound engine, transplant that in.

10 more HP and reliable. But - as others have pointed out, not worth any more than stock, probably less in fact.

Pete

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
If one needed more power, I would do an SV engine transplant.
Or one could just buy one of several very capable and more powerful bikes already available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts