StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like lower handlebars on my Strom. My other bike has much lower handlebars and I love them. The Strom's are too high.

Anyone go with a lower handlebar? How was the installation? Is the Strom handlebar pre-drilled for mounting the controls?

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Most of us 'old' strom riders end up putting taller handlebars or bar risers on these bikes.
I'm sure that I've read about a few putting lower bars on.

The stock bars are drilled for a 'location nub' on a control or two.
Most of us take a grinder to that nub so that the controls will fit the bars without having to precisely locate a hole in the new bar.

The beauty of lower bars will be NO issues with length of hoses and or cables.
The curse of lower bars will be limiting the ability, to some degree, to ride standing--commonly done on dirt...

Post up pics when you're done!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
A nekkid strom with clubman bars and solo seat would look cool methinks...

My bars are at the stock height, much lower would hit the tank.

You can rotate them forward or back thoughy, maybe that'll help a bit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The curse of lower bars will be limiting the ability, to some degree, to ride standing--commonly done on dirt...
You know, I didn't give this drawback a single thought. I've never ridden my Strom standing up and I hope I never do. I'm one of those guys that doesn't do any dirt riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No finished yet but I'm going with LSL fat superbike bar and risers (not cheap, baut $250 for both from Speigler USA). Clears the tank but is a bit too close..Going to machine 15mm spacers for under the risers and it will be perfect. I'm 6'2" and I was sloutching too much with the stock bars. These put me forward just nicely.

In a middle of a whole bunch of upgrades including a 17" wheel conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
I put on some motocross bars that are at least and inch lower than the stockers, maybe an inch wider as well--they have been on there for several years now, I guess I like em. It seems the crossbar might make them stronger than the stockers in a tipover.
I never stand up while riding, my bike is set up as a sport-tourer so I sit on my Corbin seat full time. I saw a guy going down a four-laner standing on his pegs for a mile or two--I'm not sure what that was all about, maybe stretching his legs or something, (it was a BMW) but I got the impression he wanted all to know he was an adventure tourer going down the freeway. In my state a guy can be ticketed for standing on pegs.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some lower bars(I think) in this thread-

Handlebar gallery
Jay, great link, THANKS!

…LSL fat superbike bar and risers… I was sloutching too much with the stock bars. These put me forward just nicely...

In a middle of a whole bunch of upgrades including a 17" wheel conversion.

2V, I really like what you are doing to your Strom. Good brakes on a Strom - ooooooohh, ahhhhhhh... I like the flat bars. I would trim them to bring the hands in a little.
I like your Sport-Strom approach very much. If my bike didn’t have abs I’d do that front end too. And if I did the front end I might do an SV swingarm and rear wheel too and go full Sport-Strom.

Renthal Fat Bars, Rox risers, worked out nice.
No fit problims.
T-ville, the bars are cool. Riser was for fit so they wouldn’t hit something? Or to raise them up for the reach you wanted?

I put on some motocross bars that are at least and inch lower than the stockers…
Good idea. I think I might take some measurements and just look for some cheap motocross bars.

I never stand up while riding… I saw a guy going down a four-laner standing on his pegs for a mile or two--I'm not sure what that was all about…
He was “airing out” body parts that tend to sweat and/or stretching. Lots of guys I used to ride with do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using bikemaster European bars, and for me they are perfect.
These are about as low as you can go without hitting the tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Corkus...SV swing arm is way to short (had that eyeballed already) but did put the SV wheel on....It's 8mm off to the right but the stock wheel is also 6mm off to the right so I will have to sort that out when I get back next month.

**Anyone else find that the stock wheel is off-set 5-6mm to the right?**

With fat bar you need different risers for the thicker bar. My setup will clear the tank but it doesnt leave much room with hands on bars lock to lock (thums touch) so 15mm spacers will fix that.
For brakes I got Gixxer calipers and radial master with ss lines...should be proper now.
Also Ohlins in the rear and fully done front forks.

Was gona buy a new bike..Test rode GS12, Multy12, Tiger 800 and few others. Decided that buying a used Vee and throwing 4-5 grand into it was best way to go. I have owned 2 previously and for me they are the best platform. with these upgrades it should shine.

I will have the 17's on it all the time but when I want to do some back dirt road exploring and few long adventure trips than I'll swap to stock wheels with more off road biased tires.

Heres another pic with more stuff on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
The stock bars are drilled for a 'location nub' on a control or two.
Most of us take a grinder to that nub so that the controls will fit the bars without having to precisely locate a hole in the new bar.

I ground the nubs off when I changed the bars on one of my bikes and regretted it forever.
The controls were never really solid after that. They always felt like they would slip at the wrong time.
Take your time, find where the holes have to go.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
...and I ground the nubs off and never looked back nor regret the fact that I can adjust my bars and controls again, rather than be locked in to 'just wrong'
that one time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts