StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area where there's lots of deer and I'm thinking of putting deer whistles on my wee.
Anybody ever try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Maybe set up forward looking infrared (FLIR) for night riding, if it's within practical reach yet. I haven't seen deer whistles on anything that didn't come directly from under a tarp circa the 1980's. The prevailing opinion these days seems to be that they do not work.

Whenever I'm in a deer infested area, I ride more slowly - especially at night.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Snake oil. Deer hear like people, not dogs. If you aren't bothered, neither are the deer. There have been many studies. The things are useless.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Would love to get FLIR but here in Australia it's not possible unless you are filthy rich.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Would love to get FLIR but here in Australia it's not possible unless you are filthy rich.
There's another player now - Seek Thermal. They actually have a superior sensor but their display is hobbled by a Flir patent whereby they can't combine normal camera imagery to enhance the image detail. Even so - quite useful. I have a camera module for my Android phone. They have a new one that has a narrower field of view for hunters that would be optimal for riding.
Nifty idea actually. Maybe I'll try and rig mine up and see what shows up.

https://www.amazon.com/Seek-CompactXR-Extended-Thermal-Imager/dp/B00SSZ5KPY

Reactions: Norfire0

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have hit a deer. Big time. 1988. That did not make me an expert about deer whistles. But certainly made me interested in deer whistles.
I have read dozens of reports and/ summaries of reports over the years. A lot of these reports rely on other reports. The ones where the public are given deer whistles (via newspaper ads) and compare deer vehicle collisions (DVC) for some years before the whistles and the year afterwards usually show effectiveness. The ones that test for observed deer response by driving by them with and without devices show no benefit. None of the reports can scientifically conclude that they work. Yet none of the reports conclude that they don't.

So I am not saying that they work. But if you do use them make sure you clean the bugs out of them at the same rate you have to clean your face shield. And yes, I have had them on all my bikes since 1988.

Reactions: Norfire0

·
Registered
175 Posts
FWIW I live in deer infested country. My neighbor with deer whistles has hit at least 5. Driving the same roads around the same times I have hit none in the 17 years I have been here. Slow down, and be vigilant at night and around dusk and dawn when they are more likely to be moving around. Good lights are also helpful.

·
Registered
858 Posts
FWIW I live in deer infested country. My neighbor with deer whistles has hit at least 5. Driving the same roads around the same times I have hit none in the 17 years I have been here. Slow down, and be vigilant at night and around dusk and dawn when they are more likely to be moving around. Good lights are also helpful.
Sounds like he has "come hither" whistles. Maybe hunters should try 'em.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Deer Whistles VS WOLF whistles

I live in an area where there's lots of deer and I'm thinking of putting deer whistles on my wee.
Anybody ever try this?
Just play a Jeff Foxworthy "You Might be a Redneck" CD on the stereo..loud
Deer hate it.. :wink2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Greywolf is correct, the whistles are a scam.

Even If FLIR were available, wouldn't you need to be looking at it instead of the road if you needed to see a deer? It does not sound like a winning combination, especially @ night. Its better to: 1) avoid driving those areas at prime deer hours; 2) slow down; and 3) don't over drive your headlights.

I live in one of those deer infested areas in northern Minnesota.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had one on my bike when I bought it. I ripped it off. Just have to ride slowly and carefully unfortunately.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If there inexpensive and it makes you feel better, install them.
I see the biggest problem with them, you may relie on them rather then good defensive driving.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Someone gave me a set and they are still sitting here in the package. I doubt I will ever install them. You pay shipping and you can have them for free... just provide a review later :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'll review my tiger repellent. I put headlight relays on my bike and have yet to see a tiger on a ride.

·
Registered
22,322 Posts
plenty of deer in my area, but they are more nocturnal like many other animals, during the day, my biggest concern is a flock of turkeys, generally the walk out in the road a dozen or so at a time, they especially like blind corners, as you approach, they scatter, every which way and some fly up in the air

at night, as much of a threat as deer are smaller but more common things that can throw ya off balance, skunks, racoons, possums, I traveled southwesterly once and say a lot of armadillos dead in the road

and my biggest fear at night....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Greywolf is correct, the whistles are a scam.

Even If FLIR were available, wouldn't you need to be looking at it instead of the road if you needed to see a deer? It does not sound like a winning combination, especially @ night. Its better to: 1) avoid driving those areas at prime deer hours; 2) slow down; and 3) don't over drive your headlights.

I live in one of those deer infested areas in northern Minnesota.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
Actually no more than a gps or idiot lights. The cold areas show uniform blue - hot areas are red to white. A warm blooded animal would stand out for quick ID - much like an idiot light on the dash.

·
Registered
858 Posts
plenty of deer in my area, but they are more nocturnal like many other animals, during the day, my biggest concern is a flock of turkeys, generally the walk out in the road a dozen or so at a time, they especially like blind corners, as you approach, they scatter, every which way and some fly up in the air

at night, as much of a threat as deer are smaller but more common things that can throw ya off balance, skunks, racoons, possums, I traveled southwesterly once and say a lot of armadillos dead in the road
Here in Texas buzzards can be a road hazard - and they are some big ugly bastards seemingly oblivious to motorcycles - like most cagers come to think about it. ;)

·
Registered
22,322 Posts
Here in Texas buzzards can be a road hazard - and they are some big ugly bastards seemingly oblivious to motorcycles - like most cagers come to think about it. ;)
here in the northeast, crows are the road scavengers, they are a bit smaller and very wary of anything approaching, from pedestrian on up, not the danger that wild turkeys are along with the increase in turkeys, we are now seeing a big increase in predators like coyote(eastern) and bobcat, bobcats in our area were nearly extinct 25 years ago when they finally closed the season on them, now plentiful enuf to have a limited season, that F&G has proposed but, killed in the legislature by feline lovers
coyotes are open season all year with night hunting allowed during winter months as well, problem is, its $50 worth of labor to skin a $12 pelt, there is no incentive

1 - 20 of 31 Posts