StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another "Where do I put it" thread.

I need to carry some extra fuel, I have 2 options at the moment. 3 or 4 1.5L fuel cans or the 1 gallon rotopax. I've searched and find people talking about it, but can't find anything about someone actually using it with a strom. I could put it on the rear rack, but I may want to keep my Givi box there.

Spare me the "why do you need more fuel" talk. Where I'm going I NEED more fuel then the tank will allow. :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Look at my previous (edited post).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good place, but that would scare the hell out of me should I go sliding down the road. :)

I'll have to play with ideas, Maybe I can raise the SWMOTECH ALU rack and get it under there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm running 2(1) gallon Rotopaxes on the rear of my ammo cans. I bought the locking setup. I made 3/4" spacers for the Rotopax mounts.
I bought my ammo cans for $41.00 Powdercoated them for $40. Modified the cans+hardware $20.00. The lids lift up on one side and now are lockable. ( I love those KLR guys)All stainless hardware.I'm thinking the Rotopax cans, mounting hardware,and locks were an embarrassing $150 to $190. I bought extra hardware to install them on a spare set of panniers that I will be selling.
It's a sweet,clean setup. I will post photo's on Wednesday.

Les

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. In a perfect world I would get away with not having to drill through my HappyTrail boxes. Plus, I really only want to carry one gallon.

Another consideration is the amount of weight on the boxes and the rack.

I'm almost to the point where I am going to have to make a decision on the Rotopax or the Prime 1.5 L bottles. I have an idea on how to mount the Bottles without drilling into the boxes by using a hanger type system.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a long rack that I bought from Grautier on the ADV website. It is mounted tothe top of my OEM rack. The Rotopax bolts go through both racks. The Rotopax in the photo is the 2 Gallon. I'm making a run up to AK first week and June. Heavy stuff goes in the panniers, some stuff on the Passenger seat. Really light stuff in a water proof duffel on top of the Rotopax.

I filled it up and have ridden around, can't tell it is there.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
On a DL 650 I have seen them mounted between the rack and the frame. This works if you are using the tube. Second option is a L bracket off the pannier rack.

Les

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here is another "Where do I put it" thread.

I need to carry some extra fuel, I have 2 options at the moment. 3 or 4 1.5L fuel cans or the 1 gallon rotopax. I've searched and find people talking about it, but can't find anything about someone actually using it with a strom. I could put it on the rear rack, but I may want to keep my Givi box there.

Spare me the "why do you need more fuel" talk. Where I'm going I NEED more fuel then the tank will allow. :)

Here's another option. I've thought about ordering a couple of Pegpackers for my bike and and my wife's bike for a planned trip to the Yukon and Alaska but since we put the trip off until next year, I've put the purchase off as well. Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-114-pegpacker.aspx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rotopax

You can pick the rotopax up at a place beside RMR in Abbotsford. JMC industries. He has all the mounts and hardware.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I never thought of behind the rack:confused:

100_0170 by kukuinvegas, on Flickr

100_0169 by kukuinvegas, on Flickr

100_0174 by kukuinvegas, on Flickr
I made some plates and mounted to my Givi racks and then can move it back and forth from my 1000 and 650 when I was setting up for an Iron Butt run that I did not complete:headbang:
Mike

I mounted a Rotopax 1 Gallon on the back side of my rear rack. (granted it's a wee and there is no exhaust there) It was pretty straightforward to mount it there.

2012-04-26_14-36-01_482 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've decided to pack MSR bottles in the luggage. They get beat to hell otherwise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just mounted mine up last weekend:

Aluminum plate on top of the rear rack. Prepping for Alaska next summer, HT Cascades on the side, big Cabelas dry duffel in front of the Rotopax, and 12 pack Polar Bear cooler on top. Packed pic:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My boyfriend mounted his rotopax on the front of his Jessie's. It worked out well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts