StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very partial to the matt black bike that mokusbajusz has but was not able to find one in the states. I found shiney black ones but I must say that his looks fantastic and I am considering painting my red one.
Funy thing is that I really didn't like the red until I started riding it... I think it does get some attention... but all the same I really, really am drawn to the matt black.
Am I crazy? Do you think it will hurt the value of the bike?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?

I thought at least mokusbajusz would comment on the complement to his ride?

Anyone think it would adversely affect the value of the bike?
Of course my plan is to ride it until the wheels fall off...

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Well, if you really need someone to make a comment, I'll try and fulfill your wishes.

For sure, I think repainting it will effect the value of the bike. Most people automatically assume "repaint = bad crash" and the new paint is to hide the bondo and rash. But, if its what you want, go for it, life's too short to worry about what we think and I feel a bike is a toy to have fun with, not an investment to protect.

That is, of course, just my uninformed opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
You'll lose money on it no matter what you do if you alter the paint. Even if you get a really sweet custom paintjob you'll lose money in the sense that you spent time doing it, or payed someone else to do it. However if you like it, go for it ;)

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Mr. Fisherman said:
I am very partial to the matt black bike that mokusbajusz has but was not able to find one in the states. I found shiney black ones but I must say that his looks fantastic and I am considering painting my red one.
Funy thing is that I really didn't like the red until I started riding it... I think it does get some attention... but all the same I really, really am drawn to the matt black.
Am I crazy? Do you think it will hurt the value of the bike?
Thanks in advance...
Sorry there is something with the forum, it shows incorrectly the new posts, so I did miss it.
BUT NOW!! :wink:

I really feel with you regarding the color. :lol:

About the value-thing our fellas wrote a lot, let me give just 2 additions:
1. If you document your repaint with pics nobody will think about a crash.
2. Maybe the value will be even higher as that color is not available in the US. :wink:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Just realize that painting plastic is difficult to do correctly and painting around the gas tank filler opening is also difficult and prone to pealing. If done correctly, it looks good, but if not.........

·
Registered
72 Posts
PAINT??

I paint bikes all the time. My Strom is fixin to be electric blue and pearl white. I will be painting the exposed frame as well. I paint everything I ride (advertisement, and I can use my paint job on my bike as a tax break) #1, flat black is a hard thing to paint. Best way is to base clear and use a flatting agent in the clear. I painted about 30 or 40 suzuki quads for a goverment contract once, I used a one stage prepacked product and while it was OK for goverment work, I would not do it on the V. If you disassemble the bike and carry to a painter, and you have no damage, I would be wary of spending more than about $500 to get it done. Personally, I would get about $400, it would have around $150 in material. A V is an easy spray and about 1.5 hours prep.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've read of people painting dual-sport bikes with pickup truck bed liner stuff. Supposedly takes a lot of abuse.

BTW, nice virtual paint job with the "Africa V". The pattern on the tank breaks up the bulbous look of the stock fairing and the black stripes make the black fender and center fairing work better.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
garry said:
I've read of people painting dual-sport bikes with pickup truck bed liner stuff. Supposedly takes a lot of abuse.
Thats what I have been thinking of doing. But I wont untill the V gets its first off-road scars. So far its been dirty side down :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine got some damage from a tipover a couple of years ago. I stripped off the damaged fairing half and it's opposite number and took them to a local body shop. The contrasting color I chose was not perfect (light maroon next to stock '04 blue), but the quality of the paint job has been FABULOUS! I'll try to get a pic up one of these days. The color I selected was a stock Ford automotive paint which they clearcoated over and I am extremely happy with the quality. Two years on it and not a flaw...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts