StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, any input appreciated. The reason I ask is, this. I spend most of my day commuting from job site to job site, and spend 90% of my time on the freeway. I will put anywhere from 150 to 250 miles a day.

I’ve had my Wee for just about a year and absolutely love it. But sometimes when on the freeway I find myself thinking more cc’s would be better. 70 mph is the speed limit, and 75-80 mph is generally the flow of traffic. I’m just thinking as I’m rolling down the freeway at 75+ that the DL1000 would have an easier time at those speeds racking up the daily miles. I also wonder if MPGS would be better, I don’t check often, but I seem to get around 47-48 mpg on my Wee when I do check.

I don’t ever feel my bike is struggling, it actually seems to come alive at the higher freeway speeds and is really a blast to ride. It is nimble in traffic, has plenty of power, but at the same time, I wonder if the DL1000 is a better option for the freeway riding I do daily.

The one thing that does make me hesitant, is I spent the past year buying accessories and outfitting the bike just how I want it, I am literally 3 accessories from away from finishing, I think. I paid $1500 for the bike and have spent somewhere around $1000 so far, for new and used items.

Also, my bike was fairly low mileage when I got it and has only 36,000 on it now. I know, to get a similar DL1000, with similar mileage and outfitted how I want it, would cost more than double or maybe triple what I have in my bike now.

Anyway as I write this, and reading back what I wrote, I am talking myself out of considering the 1000.
Anyone who has moved from a 650 to the 1000, did you really feel as though you made a good choice? Or did you regret the move and wished you’d kept the 650?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would most likely be looking at the Gen 1, but am not opposed to a later model, if the right one came along.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Honestly moving from a versys 650, to a 2014 Strom abs has been one of my favorite features as it's saved my ass a couple times. One of the biggest was an offramp that always has a long wait, I always go in left lane because inevitably someone pulls out of the exit lane and back into traffic, so the middle Lane for motorcycles is treacherous. Well someone pulled it right in front in a SUV that then swerved right in front of me on a rainy day in NYC, I felt.both abs systems activate and I missed the suv by 10 feet. In my versys might have been a mild rear end collision, I've locked brakes before and saved it, but not with the speed of abs.... That being said, I loves my Strom, have no complaint and want to one day have vtom mileage on it....

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
For me if you are not carrying a load stick with the 650 that you are happy with.

I moved up from a 09 Wee to a 14 V2 just because I spend a lot of time with the bride on the back and she sure knows how to load up a pannier with weight.

The 1000 is great for quick overtaking manoeuvres when loaded, if it were not for that I would still be on my Wee.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just for some background: I bought a new 2003 DL1000 and enjoyed the bike for quite a while. It was lighter and more nimble than my past BMW R1100GS and more reliable than my past KTM640 EXC Dualsport. The performance was great and mileage was about 40-45 mpg:laugh2:

I bought a new 2016 DL650 ABS and immediately, I realized that it was better in every way than the 1000, except in torque, HP and acceleration---but not much different. 50 to 60 mpg all the time:smile2: I did sell it a month ago to make room for:

2018 Africa Twin????
2018 Super Tenere????
2018 Suzuki DL 1000, Standard or XT, that are selling in my area right at $9,000+- which is much cheaper than the other two:grin2:

Whatever you decide, have fun and be careful, that ol' Interstate 5 and HWY 99 are killers unless you run faster than traffic:furious:

I still have an almost new 2014 Honda CTX1300D for the LONG rides.:laugh2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever you decide, have fun and be careful, that ol' Interstate 5 and HWY 99 are killers unless you run faster than traffic:furious:
CA99 is where I spend a good chunk of my work days, 75 mph is the minimum to keep up some days. But most days if I’m not right around 80, I’m getting blown off the road. Although when 99 becomes a parking lot, the 650 feels like the perfect traffic buster, agile, nimble and easy to maneuver.

·
Administrator
13,557 Posts
Your 2004 DL650 is a much nicer, better sorted out bike than a **stock** 1st generation DL1000.

As you mentioned the motor on your bike comes alive at higher speeds. There isn't the same reserve power as a DL1000 would have but I never felt either of my DL650's lacking. If you felt you absolutely must upgrade then there are some good arguments to be made for a 2014+ DL1000 but just as many good arguments to stick with a DL650.

..Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
One tooth higher on the countershaft sprocket would help a little, maybe 500 rpm's lower across the board:laugh2:

I'm a Southern CA boy born and bred!:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I went through the same mental exercise as you recently (like the past week or two). My advice, test drive a new one (18 or 19). You may change your mind right after the test drive and stick with your 650 :)

Tom nailed it though, if you're considering a 1000 you'll want a 14+.

Here's my thread on the topic after my test drive:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/423589-18-dl1000-test-drive.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link, just read through it.

If truth be told, I'm just one of those people who is always looking for my next bike, been that way since I got my first 1975 XR75. I couldn't tell you how many motorcycles Ive owned over the years, but as an example, around 2008 I had 8 bikes in my garage and my wife was not happy at all. I've been a fanatic for anything with two wheels and a motor since the first time my Dad rode my around on his 69 Triumph, I was about 5 and sat in front of him holding on to the tank, I was hooked right there and right then.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I hear ya! In that case, if you can keep both, go for it. The DL1000 power is intoxicating :grin2:

n=# of bikes we have
n+1=# of bikes we want

·
Registered
926 Posts
If truth be told, I'm just one of those people who is always looking for my next bike.
Heh, join the club! This has been my curse since my early teens. If I could get back every dollar I squandered on motorcycles, I would spend it on a bunch of new motorcycles.

I am presently V-strom-less for the first time since 2012 having bought a GSX 1400, but I am presently planning on getting myself another Gen1 DL-1000 at the end of the year. A 2008 DL-1000 was the first v-strom I ever owned and I now regret selling it. I rode it daily for 4 years which is a record for me, and it was definitely a love-hate relationship and there were many times during those four years when I couldn't wait to dump that "lemon".

I went from that 2008 DL-1000 to a couple of old-model DL-650's. It's true what everyone says - the DL-650 is lighter, more nimble, better in traffic, cheaper to run, easier to ride, has fewer problems...it's the Corolla of the motorcycle world. But I ended up bored with them. I never really bonded with either of my 650's. I guess I just like torque and power of larger bikes more than the benefits offered by the 650's. The performance difference IS noticeable, as should be expected considering the differences in engine. The Vee is like a completely different bike in my humble opinion, despite being nearly identical in appearance.

Of course I would prefer to have a newer generation Vee as everyone always recommends, but are they going to help pay the price difference? Gen 1 Vees do offer a lot of bike for little money because they are not the latest and greatest, and have not yet (probably never will) reached "collectable" status.

So yeah, personally if I do get another bike at the end of the year it will very likely be an older Vee. The good thing about buying older model bikes is the gamble is lower stakes. If you hate the Vee, sell it at a small loss and move on. Better than the losses incurred on selling a newer bike.

Also, droning along freeways at high speed is probably the one area that the DL-1000 has the edge over the 650.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
For me if you are not carrying a load stick with the 650 that you are happy with. ....I moved up from a 09 Wee to a 14 V2 just because I spend a lot of time with the bride on the back ...
I'm guessing the "Mrs." doesn't subscribe to this list ... :grin2:

Reactions: Niteryder and V-Tom

·
Registered
552 Posts
I rode my 2004 Wee up to 2017 when I traded up to a new 2017 650. Upon getting my new generation 650 I went home and sold my Triumph Tiger 1050 (oh such a beautiful bike!) as the DL 650 was all the bike I needed for the type of riding I do. (Back road of Kentucky..no Interstate, no long trips). The wife and I love this bike, its just perfect. My Tiger would out run it of course but then the Tiger required you to hold on for dear life and sometimes pray a bit too!

We are all different and one size does not fit all. However, I can say with the greatest amount of confidence that the current generation of the DL 650 is miles better than the old Gen 1 model.

Reactions: Niteryder

·
Registered
194 Posts
I posted this on Facebook on one of the v-strom group pages...
Rode a brand new 2019 DL1000 at a Suzuki demo days event this morning. Great bike! After the ride I was sure I'd be disappointed to climb back onto my 2012 650.
In fact, it felt like home. The 1000 would be nice to have because it's shiny and new and would be better for 2-up trips and I think it's probably my next bike, however, the surprising discovery was I'm thoroughly happy with my current ride. It does everything I want it to do and I'm into it for less than $6000 even after a suspension upgrade, crash bars, 3 Givi cases and ergonomic tweaks.

Reactions: Niteryder and V-Tom
1 - 20 of 30 Posts